Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    The 1200k that I attempted officially ends in about 10 minutes.

Things that went wrong:
    1. We had cold, driving rain the entire first day which was a tab over 250 miles. I don't recall my time but I'll post it later.
    2. I'm guessing that less than half of the 33 that started the event, finished it. I'll provide that later.
    3. My ring finger is numb
    4. Both feet are numb around the toes
    5. I fell asleep riding more than once. That's scary - that led to three different dirt naps - once by a grain silo, one by a flagpole and one in a ditch in tall grass.
    6. My dyno lights failed - luckily, I carry battery backups. They sucked.
    7. Over three days, I got 7 hours of sleep.

Things that went right:
    1. I finished at roughly 86:20 which was several hours before the 90-hr time limit..

I don't have the exactly time and will provide it later when I do a proper ride report. Right now, I'm going to bed.
  2. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    :bow Gerry
  3. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    OMG, that's kick ass Gerry. Unbelievable, and you started LD riding around 2 years ago, right? PBP is next summer, right?
    Edit: whoops, it's every 4 years. You'll have to wait until 2015.

My wife (rider of many double centuries) sends her congrats too.
  4. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    I have both those and the shimano that look just like em, The performance pedals are ok pedals, they work fine. They aren't as smooth as the Shimano pedals. (the SPD or the bearings.)
  5. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Well, I got back on the bike training for Ragbrai in Jan/11. I attempted my first brevet last Sept/11 and did the full series this year. I think I had a century, 2 x 200-km brevets, a 300, 400, a 600, two failed 600 attempts and now the 1200.

It's been a good year and I appreciate the kind words.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap! That's awesome, dude. :thumb

Is the pinky numb, next to that ring finger?
  7. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    1200km? :bow Hat's off! I haven't done more than 10% of that all year.

Think the gels with caffeine in em woulda helped?

:ear

M
  8. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woo hooo! Just got back from my first road ride in about eight months (the weather is finally cooling off here), and I won my first unofficial race of the season. :clap The dudes I beat may not have known that I was racing them, but it still counts, right? :deal
  9. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard that steroid use shrinks the "package". This picture suggests that is true. It must also affect judgement, why else would you wear something with a circle around a shrunken package.:rofl
  10. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    You're a crazy person. In the best possible way.
  11. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    No issues with the pinky and the ring finger is already better. The French have a saying: "If it'll heal in two weeks, keep riding." :lol3

I dunno. I tried one of those and it sat on my stomach like a brick. I tried a caffeine pill and it didn't seem to help. Those short 30-min naps helped a lot though....if I go to sleep on my back, my sleep apnea will wake me up whenI snort a bit. :wink: I think I'll consult the rando list for more advice though. Someone mentioned that mint gum will help keep you awake. I have no idea though.

Thank you - It helps to be crazy! I met some of the finest distance riders you've never heard of - the Olsen twins are older guys who have probably done 30 of these 1200-events. Bill finished this one in 80 hours which is a bit longer than normal. There was one guy who has done Paris four times. There were two wimmin on the ride who finished on Saturday morning - fit & damn fast.

Clearly, I have a lot to learn but I also exceeded my goals this year so I'm pretty happy.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's strange. Must be the way you hold the grip.

If the pinky was involved, then, it would be ulnar nerve related.
  13. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I finally got round to fitting a new Conti Gatorskin to the rear and, it was a bitch to fit - I ended up clamping the tire on using a spring clamp to stop it rolling of the wheel. So, my question is how do I re-fit the tire in the field - is there something that will stop the tire rolling of the wheel as I come at it from the other direction (if that makes sense) ?

Cheers
    :freaky
  14. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    IME the tire stretches a hair, making it easier to get back on after the first installation. ...but Gatorskins rarely flat. Get a bead jack for those really tough to install tires so you don't pinch any tubes.

Oh, and what a tool:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xFM5QiAd3QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

M
  15. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Is that bead tool small enough to carry on the bike ? I got the tire on in the end but I just worry about out in the field.

Oh yeah, what a complete and utter tool. I'll simply never understand why people do shit like that - why ? What is the point of doing that - I'll never understand assholes.
  16. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Bout 6" long and about an inch in dia. So its mostly portable. Won't fit in a seat back unless you're carrying a kitchen sink sized bag.

Dood had LOTS of opportunity to go round em but sat there being a yahoo.

M
  17. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    I ordered one so we'll see how it goes.

Not only did that retard have plenty of opportunities to pass, people ended up passing HIM/HER as he was being such a dick.
  18. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    I was thinking it was something in the fit of my gloves - probably a bend in the material that was too tight at one particular point.

Thanks for the input - nice to know what it isn't!
  19. konacyclist

konacyclist Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What you should try are Sidi shoes in Mega (wide) version. Not all of the Sidi line comes in Mega sizing but the ones that do are usually the ticket for wider feet.
  20. Brek81

Brek81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive ridden a few k on the keos, and very rarely do i weigh less then 220lbs :p No problems so far with the keos, now spds on the other hand....