Sidestand '83 R80ST??

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by xrmattaz, Feb 18, 2007.

1. xrmattaz

xrmattaz Has an TV

Oddometer:
    My buddy is looking to replace the broken sidestand on his ST....any leads on a new or used one??

Tanks.
  2. nick_rhinocycles

nick_rhinocycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco, Moto capital of N. America
    Check out the Yahoo groups for "R80ST" there are some people there that do some restos and have stuff laying around.

I'm there too!
    --Nick
  3. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
  4. xrmattaz

xrmattaz Has an TV

Oddometer:

Forwarded your email to my buddy Geoff.
  5. nick_rhinocycles

Oddometer:
  6. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    damn that offering still makes me spew-- he has almost nothing left of that ST (shaft and frame last i heard from him). I'd have offered more for the whole basket than he's prolly netted on the parting-out. Timing, as ever.

If it helps, don't know if the ST has a frame-mounted sidestand (the G/S does not-- sidestand was optional pending installation of the crash bars; ie: there's no frame boss for a sidestand on G/S), but if it has the crash-bar mounted sidestand the 100GS sidestand will fit. I know this b/c i fitted a 100GS sidestand to my 81 G/S, which shares just about everything w/ the ST
  7. lkchris

lkchris Albuquerque

Oddometer:
    In case you didn't know, ALL parts for the R80ST remain available at BMW dealers.
  8. nick_rhinocycles

Oddometer:
    "Crahsbar with sidestand" is listed here:
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bmwcaferacers/album/576460762382482186

My ST has the crashbar mounted side stand, so I'm assuming that is standard. Again G/S and ST are mostly identical.

PS I would kill for a frame mounted side stand. I F-NG lauged out loud at the German Idiocy the first time I tried to use the side stand while seated on the bike.
    My R100GS is the same way. What were they thinking?

But since I have two of them, who is the idiot now huh? =-0
    --Nick

9. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Nicky: the key is to weld on a foot tab-- the 100GS sidestand i got off eBay had a 2.5" long rod brazed to it, bent at a 150' angle. Because my R80G/S came to me with an already busted sidestand (the foot was broken off, leaving a spike), i thought the added-on foot tab was stock (it was that clean a weld job). It is not, as you have found. That small addition has been the shit-- it's such a no-brainer that any other airhead i get on seems lost without it.

It's so useful it's thoughtless-- pull up, park, bump the folding peg back a bit, your toe catches the tang, deploy the stand. Dismount and go into Chau's grocery for a Mr. Brown canned coffee and a dollar box of Tamarind candy. Sweet.

I'll take a pic tomorrow. It's a de rigeur weld job for airhead sidestand, without resorting to that clamp-on Harley-esque abomination.
  10. Wirespokes

Oddometer:
    Mugwest, I want to see a picture of this mod. I've got one right now in need of something like this.
  11. lkchris

lkchris Albuquerque

Oddometer:
  12. Wirespokes

Oddometer:
    lkchris - That would make sense, except that the parts fiche shows the same part # for both.

The stock stand mounts to the crash bar. There isn't a frame mounted side stand on the G/S, ST, GS, or the R100R.