Open face helmet, night riding+sunglasses??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 150ron, Sep 14, 2012.

1. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    So if you ride with a MX style open face helmet, and theres no shield, and you are wearing sunglasses, what do you do when it starts to get dark?

I found myself in this situation a few times, where it gets too dark that i have to remove my sunglasses, then have no eye protection at all, bugs hitting my eyes, and wind too, no bueno, what are my options?

*my helmet is a AFX FX-39 which has a shield, but i remove it for the summer time, too hot, and never use it, dont want to put the clear shield back on, like it with it off in the summer time.
    *I never ride with goggles on, always sunglasses, dont like goggles, even when off roading, always sunglasses

Do some of you guys keep a spare set of maybe like clear protective power tools glasses from the home depot or something, and just throw those on for eye protection?
  2. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I don't ride in sunglasses, ever. But when I have my dirt bike helmet and goggles on, I do try to remember to keep a spare clear lens for my goggles with me some place.
  3. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear WileyX glasses. The ones Ive got have a foam gasket around them. Wear them on and offroad. I carry a second pair with clear lenses in them for night riding.
  4. thisflatearth

thisflatearth 2 wheel has been

Oddometer:
    Uvex Seismic

Have the foam liner to keep stuff from going around the lenses.

On amazon for about $14/pair. Come in clear, amber, dark, UV. For the price of one pair of Wileys you can have one of each flavor and buy a sandwhich :lol3

The wileys are nice, but I got a bunch of these for free from a buddy who works for a utility company.

http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S0601X-Espresso-Anti-Fog-Headband/dp/B003OBZ52K

They come with stalks like normal glasses and the headband thing, but the headband wont work for around the helmet.
  5. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    When caught out with a dark shield, I've stopped at Wal-Mart or Home Depot and bought inexpensive yellow safety glasses. Dark shield up or off and then the glasses.

SUCKS when it's cold though :)
  6. BigChris99

BigChris99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always have eye protection over my eyes. I have that same situation happen every day I ride to work, I wear a full

face helmet. When I leave for work work in the afternoon, its dark safety glasses with a dark smoke or mirror shield on

my Scorpion. In the early am.....3amish..... on my way home, I use a clear shield on my helmet with a pair of clear

safety glasses on. That way if I want to ride with my shield open, and I do lots, I have protection over my eyes. Go

to Home Depot, Walmart or Harbor Freight and get some eye protection. ANYTHING that is safety glasses is MUCH

better than what your doing now. If you don't have luggage on your bike, put the glasses in an old sock (clean) and put

them in your jacket pocket or your lunch bag/cooler. Just DO cover your eyeballs. You only get two ya know.
  7. BeeMaa

BeeMaa Submariner

Oddometer:
    I have and Arai XD-4 with a clear shield and ride with the shield down at speeds above 20mph, but I always have some type of glasses on too.
    During the day I use Nike sunglasses, and switch to another pair of Nike sunglasses with orange lenses for rain or night use.
    Another option is to use sunglasses with multiple interchangeable lenses.
    It would require less space than carrying another pair of sunglasses.
    I did this for a while, but now have plenty of space for the extra pair of frames.
    Good luck.
  8. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    Find the nearest Home Depot/Lowes/Hardware store and pick up a pair of clear safety glasses. Seeing that they're <$5/pair, grab two and stash the spare somewhere on your bike or in your gear.
  9. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    you go ride one day and come back disfigured for the rest of your life? no thanks.

And I am not talking about an accident, but just about a 3/4 inch rock that some truck lift up and threw in your face at 60 mph... Only been riding 50 thousands miles and already happened twice to me. Yesterday actually. Which is why I am a bit sensitive to the topic. Always wear full face.

And full gear. Some redneck from a no helmet law state shouted at me thinking he was making a good joke: "hey, looks like you are ready to get run over!" To which I calmly answered, "just fall once, you will know what you need." They usually humbly dont argue after that.
  10. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. I found a small case somewhere a while ago that has velcro straps, fits on the handlebars nicely. I have a pair of glasses and a small rag wrapped up in there, works out good for me.

*Disclaimer* I do not ride ATGATT. I'm more of a MTGMTT (most of the gear most of the time)

Safety glasses aren't the best option for sure, but I still wear them a lot, along with a ton of other guys I know. I've never been hit while riding like you have, but I've had safety glasses take pretty hard hits at work and not break. I've gotten black eyes before, (once) but the glasses stayed intact. That particular hit was from a chunk of a cut-off wheel a co-worker was using, the wheel broke apart and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hit dead center of the lens and didn't break.

On a long street bike tour, yeah I'm in a full face. On the Sportster I always wear an open face 3/4 helmet, and when on the XR or KLR and hitting some dirt I wear a motocross helmet with either glasses or goggles, depending on the weather. I try to weigh the risk of eye injury against the comfort level and risk of heat exhaustion, then decide from there what to wear. 90 degree day, planning on riding road for a few hours then hitting a trail? You'll see me in Tech 8's, jeans, t-shirt, gloves, and a helmet with glasses.
  11. Slvrtundevl

Slvrtundevl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    That strap system looks like it would get uncomfortable very quickly.
  13. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :huh

Why not wear a full face helmet?? I thought the medieval look was out. :D
  14. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I wear yellow at night. I almost always wear glasses because I get hot with the shield closed and like to have it open, espcially at city speeds.
  15. BigChris99

BigChris99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THIS! ......... instead of a nice comfortable, quiet full face? No fooking way! My Gawd what people will wear to look "cool"
  16. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice guys, highly appreciated! :clap

This is my set up

[​IMG]

afx fx-39 helmet
    PJD motorcycle specific sunglasses from walmart with the rubber foam around the edges

I will follow the advice given here and go pick up a set of clear or yellow safety glasses from HD/LOWES, ill only be wearing them once it gets dark, and i do have a place to store them on the bike,

once again, thanks guys, thats exactly what i wanted to know.
  18. BeeMaa

BeeMaa Submariner

Oddometer:
    I like the three wheeler you have in the garage...and the hula-hoop. :D
  19. Tjb84

Tjb84 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure how other no helmet states work, but in Pennsylvania you are still required by law :deal to wear some type of eye protection at all times. I personally have a modular helmet and still wear some type of eyewear all the time. I periodically like to keep something open just for that lil bit of extra air.
  20. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer: