My 73 Yamaha TX750 Rebuild....

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by bulldog1980, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bulldog1980

bulldog1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What I have 73 (74?) TX750 only parts missing (so far that I can tell :huh)

Left Side sidecover
    Left side engine (points) cover
    Seat...

So I started parts hunting.. came up with all the parts I am missing
    the left side sidecover was a bitch to get.. it seems that I can find the Right side in various colors and conditions but the only left side cover I was able to find during a months of searching was in the wonderful color and condition of rusted but repairable... I also picked up a Service manual for the thing off eBay.. (Which I hate having to use but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...I am refering to eBay not the directions :D) I will post the pics of the bike tomorrow night... the next few weeks my brother will be up and help me work on my house (flooded in Iowa june floods) and working on the bike :freaky

So my trial begins....while i have heard both good and bad (I quote Mike from Mikes XS The (tx750) are a grenade!) pics coming soon...
  2. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Hiya n00b. :wave Don't have a TX750, but ...

:lurk

And, if you can pick up some beer while yer out ...
  3. Motomech

Motomech Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer:
    I admire your pluck.

<<<>>>while i have heard both good and bad (I quote Mike from Mikes XS The (tx750) are a grenade!)...>>>

I've never heard anything good about that model.
    By the time I started wrenching in a Yamaha dealership in 1979, they had all but disappeared. I only saw two in the 22 years I was a M.C. wrench and neither ran.
    I asked the service manager when I was a Noob, what happened to them.
    He simple replied, "too many chains".<!-- / close content container --><!-- open content container -->

4. The Vert

The Vert Banned

Oddometer:
    270 degree almost vertical twin. With Dunstall mufflers, probably the best SOUNDING bike I ever owned.
  5. thencamebronson

thencamebronson Takin' a trip?

Oddometer:
  6. bulldog1980

bulldog1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are some crappy pics I will get better ones soon...
  7. bulldog1980

bulldog1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and pic 2
  8. bulldog1980

bulldog1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    as you can see at first it was missing the left side engine cover, left sidecover, and seat.. The bike is in pretty damn good shape for getting for $230.00.. now once I start cleaning it up and tearing it down well see just how good of shape...

TO BE CONTINUED....
  9. stevepsd

stevepsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I worked at a Honda-Yamaha dealership from 1977-1983. The only bike that we would not take in for service were TX750's. Period.

I remember the owner and service manager telling me stories about how the TX750's would blow-up motors left and right. You could not get parts because they were always being modified to fix whatever the latest problem happened to be.

Finally, Yamaha came around with a truck and dropped off new engines, free of charge, for each TX750 that the dealership had sold. They replaced the engines and advised the owners to sell the bikes, as we would no longer work on them. Ouch.

I only ever saw one in the 7 years I was there.
  10. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!!

Oddometer:
    Supposedly there's a fix for the issue of grenading engines. Look around, I have seen people here and in other places post it. I thing the culprit was in the oil scavenging system. I would love to get one of those bikes someday(among others).
  11. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Wow.
  12. bulldog1980

bulldog1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All the parts I have ordered are in and the bike has been cleaned up and with all the new parts and tank sitting next to it, just ready for me to start wrenching on it. Before I get started on my bike the house that was flooded in june is in the final stages of repair. Drywall went up.. blah, blah, should be able to start wrenching by say... Nov
  13. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Good luck, mang! :thumb (Sounds like you'll need it.)

Fear not, we're right here behind you cheering you on; laughing our asses off; ready to pour you a beer; all that shit.

Here comes the beer lady now!

[​IMG]

:lurk
  14. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Good Lord Man! I realized I had made a huge mistake by the time I quit re-building every part on this goofy airhead I bought off craigs list. I finished it regardless and traded it for a functional motorcycle luckily. You on the other hand have a TX 750 to work on,they were widely known as the biggest piece of crap Yamaha ever built! Ive never seen one running,only as rusted heaps in sheds. I salute you sir! quixote leanings are always of value in this modern disposable world of ours. I really hope this bike is everything you think it may or could be.................what was I saying? Oh yeah! Best of luck on this esteemable project of yours and Ive got some sweet TM400s out behind the woodpile I could sell you cheap,also some Edsel parts that could possibly be applied to your current project as they do bear a resemblance. Im subscribing to this thread for sure. Im pulling for you!(how did you arrive at 230.00 on the price anyway?)
  15. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    Didn't the TX 500 and 750 come from the factory without any kind of cam chain tensioner?
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    The TX500 was also a short lived,short production run bike,some kind of mechanical suicide was going on with the 500's. Sounded good,ran good when new but eventually led to internal shrapnel.Ive had a XS650 and couldnt hurt it,fun buzzy kind of bike that never had a problem while I had it.
  17. bulldog1980

bulldog1980 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well sure I'll take those TM400 off you hands you just pay me for shipping and handling as for the Edsel parts I would sell them some people do actually want those parts for the simple fact is Edsels are RARE (i know there was a reason)... I paid $230 for it off Ebay (E(vil)Bay).. I have researched the TX750 and found that the main problem was the Omniphase cam. At high RPMs it would froth the oil and then your top end would be starved... The 74 actually corrected this issue but the damage to the reputation was done.. and with the modern oils and such these bikes are like any other just have to maintain them... least that is what I read.. Getting closer to wrentching on it...
  18. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    A friend took a low mileage TX500 in trade about 25 years back.
    It blew approaching 35,000 miles after running low on oil.'
    Friend admitted he had no confidence in bike's longevity and neglected it shamefully. Felt bad, was enjoyable ride.
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I for one hope it runs like a champ,Ive just never seen one on the road. Parts can be had for the thing? I took on that Airhead project knowing nothing about them really and kinda figured it out as I went but Im not a mechanic by any means.It was a satisfying thing to take it down to nothing and back up again. Trading it for an 05 V-Strom 650 was heresy maybe but the Suzuki suits my needs to a T. Good Luck! I'll check back in.
  20. gunner65

gunner65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a friend working on a TX 750 also I think it is a 73 or 74. It really has a worse reputation than it should. His needs nothing internal to the engine just the cosmetic stuff, brakes and carbs rebuilt. It had a ton of bondo in the tank and a mural of a ferry sniffing a tulip(no kidding). Painted purple with the words "Shoops Hoop". It really was a flower power of a job. I will have him post up here maybe the two of you would have a lot to discuss.