any garmin basecamp users on here?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by davsato, Jan 19, 2013.

1. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im new to basecamp, im already annoyed that you cant view detailed maps without docking your unit, now when i zoom in to 0.2mi scale it shows the detail maps from the unit AND the global map at the same time.

im not a GS noob and have been through every menu and havent spotted a box to tic/untick anywhere, anyone know whats going on?
  2. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From your description, it means you only have your maps installed on your GPS. You need to install them onto your computer & this will solve your problem of having to have your GPS connected.
  3. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry, shouldve said my unit is nuvi 2595LM, the unit comes with maps pre-installed and cannot be copied onto a computer.
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't LM mean lifetime maps? If so, the previous poster is correct. Since there are a few release of new maps annually go ahead and update them. As you go through, you will have the option to update GPS only, computer only or both. Simply select both.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/lifetime_updater.html
  5. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have the 'detail level' tool turned on? This allows 6 levels of detail for the Global Map. To turn it on: right click on the task bar and it should #1 of the 11 choices. Not sure if that helps.
  6. justcountry04

justcountry04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gilchrist County Floriduh (AKA farm country)
    you are right, BAsecamp is a POS compared to the user friendly mapsource. The only way I have figured out how to get maps on it is to go to open street maps and download maps from there per instructions then load them on to base camp, then you will have a detailed map on base camp. Others on here may know other ways, but this worked for me. I had to go with Basecamp, as I got a Mac this year, but before that, used mapsource with my PC and liked it wayyyyy better.
  7. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basecamp is a bit annoying with the map and needing the GPS connected, but I don't have trouble using it...in fact its a very cool way to view your routes, plan new ones and save them to the GPS. You can even look at pinpoint data from your trips...click on the point and see all sorts of data: specific point in time speed, elevation, etc.

Th OP was having trouble with seeing the dual view screen....that's annoying...you can switch out of it. I'd have to go out to the garage, pull the Nuvi, back in the house, downstairs, fall back onto the sofa, wait until it loads and then figure out how to switch the views. Sorry.........feeling reeeeaaallly lazy right now. :huh
  8. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    well that sure is a long way around - I am at "OpenStreet!ap" now and it looks like a 13 hr download....
  9. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    There are multiple Basecamp threads in the forum. A quick search and you can get tons of information.
  10. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no good, even with detail turned to 'lowest' global map still shows through. anyway, the detail setting works for both maps simultaneously so its no good looking at city navigator on 'lowest'! it sounded good and worth a try though, cheers

yes i know, nobody had the same symptoms.

im happy to delete global map, its useless to me but can i do that without affecting how basecamp uses the city navigator maps in the unit?
  11. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i dont mind having to connect the unit every time, and as ive been playing with it im coming round getting used to basecamp (still prefer mapsource though) im not seeing a split screen im getting global map overlayed on top of city navigator, at anything higher than 'low' detail. obviously they dont line up, so its damned annoying!
  12. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi daryl i was wrong in my first post, on investigation it overlays the maps on anything higher than "low" detail setting. at any zoom, not just 0.2mi.

ive emailed garmin europe they are pretty helpful compared to garminUS from what ive heard, in fact they are only 12miles up the road in romsey
  13. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let us know what you find out. I've observed this using OSM map sets.

Be careful regarding removing the Global map set from Basecamp. It may be imbedded in such a way that BC may not even launch or start-up without it.

daryl
  14. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    heard back from garmin already,
    apparently it just does it, live with it.

not in those words, but they are aware of the bug and working on a fix, wont be in time for version 4.1 but maybe in time for 4.2

replacing perfectly good mapsource with a newer, better(worse) program with more features (but less useful ones, like no postcode search if you can believe that?) before it was ready.
    i think these guys used to work for bill gates.

oh daryl since basecamp is a free download from garmin at the moment i may screw around with it to see what happens, and if it shags up just scrap it and start again. might have to bleach the registry, garmin stuff is very fussy with registry issues.
    mapsource used to be free too. they are not supporting it any more and will be phasing it out soon.