Australasian Safari 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Stagehand, Mar 8, 2012.

1. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    http://www.transmoto.com.au/publish...d-star-Quinn-Cody-to-race-Australasian-Safari

The 2012 Australasian Safari is heating up Transmoto discovering today that four-time Baja 1000 champion and top-10 Dakar Rally finisher, Quinn Cody, will join the CPW KTM Rally team for the eight-day endurance event.

The 35-year-old US rider has been competing as a professional off-road racer since 15. He received national recognition in the off-road world after capturing the National Hare and Hound Championship in 2004, and the following year took the bronze medal in the ISDE for USA, won the Baja 250 and finished second in the Baja 1000. And in the last eight years he's won four Baja 1000 events, two Baja 500, took ninth overall at Dakar and competed and finished the Erzberg Rodeo - to put that in perspective, the completion rate for this year's Erzberg was 0.03%!

[​IMG]
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Whoa! Thats awesome!
  3. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wooohooo! Last year Cyril and this year Quinn! What a line up!
  4. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Gary .. you forgot to add Quinn won the 2010 Vegas to Reno SOLO which is unheard of in the team age...

Great news for CPW!

Lets see some bike building in this thread!
  5. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    For those in EU

Almost last chance to take advantage of this great offer !!!

The sea container from EU is almost full, a couple of spots remain though.

Please contact your local Safari agent or the Safari organistion asap to secure your spot !
  6. Stagehand

Oddometer:
  7. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
  8. The Misinformant

The Misinformant What road?

Oddometer:
    Bugga was hoping to have a go this year. Does not look promising though but the field is looking intersting.

Almost makes me want to take out a small "house extention" loan for September.
  9. Trang

Trang ... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer:
    CNN - January 2013
    Last years Greece debt issues, overshadowed by new threat caused by a full field line up in the 2012 Australian Safari ...

:norton
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    http://email-marketing.thecut.net.au/t/ViewEmail/r/1B55F4E4B9E58DEA/AB91C812C6B2480705263A35EB2CBB57

Quinn Cody to race Australasian Safari

[​IMG]
    The 2012 Australasian Safari is heating up with TransMoto.com.au discovering earlier this week, that four-time Baja 1000 champion and top-10 Dakar Rally finisher, Quinn Cody, will join the CPW KTM Rally team for the eight-day endurance event.

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by zenjen [​IMG]
    What is going to be sweet, will be watching him bring his high-speed skills to battle the Aussies in the Australasian Safari. - :gdog - He will be on a top tier team with CPW.

What are your thoughts on the Baja Ace's chance of a podium finish in this year's Safari?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Quinn has some solid nav skills from his past 1.25 outings at the Dakar and various training/nav rides he has completed at home in the US over the last two years.

He is fast, smooth (generally) and has plenty of speed/experience from riding/racing/winning in the desert/Baja offroad scene in the USA.

The CPW team is at the top tier of the Aussie offroad/rally/desert racing scene down under, having provided it's top riders Ben Grabham, Matt Fish and (before he went to GHR) Todd Smith with bikes capable of podium placings/victory at both the Safari and major Aussie desert racing events....

So those three things (on paper) would put him up as a top ten start number/seeded rider for the 2012 Australasian Safari, I would think.

Quinn has - however - no racing experience in Australia. The terrain, some of the rules/navigation subtleties AND the level of commitment with which the current crop of the the top five or six Aussie Safari riders attack the seven race days of the rally (at sprint pace!), will mean that Cody will have a very short period of time to adapt/find a pace at which to run with the locals in the opening two/three days of the rally.

He is capable of top ten times out of the gate... but to achieve top five times from the outset, on debut (without any prior Oz safari/terrain experience)... that is a big ask for ANY rider - no matter how big a name they are. (Just look back at the 2011 result sheets :wink:).

First time out in Oz... I would think that by the end of the rally QC would be up on the pace... a top five finish is achievable and with some good management/relatively problem free run with the CPW/KTM outfit behind him, a podium placing is not out of reach... however (I believe) unlikely.

There are at least seven or eight (fast/experienced) local Oz riders shaping up this year, all with past podium pedigrees, ALL on top tier teams from three different supported brands of machine... and ALL are gunning for the top podium spot this year... It should make for a great race at a blistering pace! :clap
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  11. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    'Kin oath!
  12. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be down there, too. Not riding, though :cry, helping out instead :beer
  13. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet, Ill know who to reach out to for my oil changes then :)

We're arriving on Thursday, landing at 15.00u, so in the bivouac by 18.00u I guess.
  14. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad for you that I don't work on twins :lol3

What date exactly?
  15. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Code:
    vertrek	van	naar	aankomst	vluchtnummer
    	19/09/12 12:00	Amsterdam	Kuala Lumpur	20/09/12 06:30	MH 17
    	20/09/12 09:40	Kuala Lumpur	Perth, wa	20/09/12 15:00	MH 125
    	02/10/12 16:25	Perth, wa	Kuala Lumpur	02/10/12 22:05	MH 124
    	02/10/12 23:55	Kuala Lumpur	Amsterdam	03/10/12 06:55	MH 16

16. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good! I'll be there about 2 weeks earlier over in Melbourne with my family, then head to Perth around the 17th-18th, and finally head home either on the 1st or 2nd October. Flight will be booked this weekend...
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Sent in the balance of the entry fee... just waiting to hear they confirmed it.

RIght now it looks like I'll be landing in Perth at maybe 9pm on the 16th, and get a few days of bike testing and jetlag over with but we're still finalizing flight plans.

Till then, I just need a decent new helmet and some anti-chaffing sox or pants or something, and a good snort of confidence, and I'll be good to go!

BUT! I made the ROoney Blog :D

http://rooneycycle.wordpress.com/race/

So far Quinn and I are the only US guys going.
  18. Rail7

Rail7 Authenticious.

Oddometer:
    Jason, it was good to meet you finally in West VA last weekend, albeit for a very short amount of time ( I wiped out in the first stage ). Good luck in Australia, man! Godspeed!
  19. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Troy,

Agree with your assessment of Quin Cody on the safari, i do think however that his mindset and riding style are a closer match to the Safari than the Dakar. He has massive raw pace. But we have seen fast pro's in the past come to Oz and it has always been an uphill battle and surprise at the speed and comitment with which the aussie top rides.

PS Got a Finnish enduro trip next year in June for a bike magazine, Helsinki to the Utsjoki led by regional enduro clubs, miles and miles of secret single track. Ah yes on a Husaberg. Will keep you posted.
  20. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    Manuel now confirmed for Safari, so you will be his crew :D