A question about mirrors

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AndyGilbert, Jun 9, 2012.

1. AndyGilbert

AndyGilbert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no mirrors on my XR650L at the moment but I am looking into getting a set. Being new to the world of motorcycle parts I am having some difficulty figuring out what I really need and/or want. The attributes I am mainly interested in is that they be black in color and rigid in structure. That's about it. I am a little worried about application considering none of the mirrors I have seen list a spec for thread size but that could also mean that they may be of a universal dimension?

Really what I am looking for is some advice about what to stay away from and what I might like. Most of my riding will be street if that helps. Thanks.
  2. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    DoubleTake
    I had 3 sets of mirrors on my 690 and finally put a set of these on. Minimal vibes and I can actually see behind me now! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571500
  3. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Your mirror mounts have a 10mm thread. Emgo deluxe GP aren't too bad, inexpensive too. You need left and right, the bigger rectangular shape gives a good field of view.

[​IMG]

If you are big or tall, you can get extensions to move the mirrors out a bit or risers. :1drink
  4. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just put a set of DoubleTakes on my 650 Strom, as I wasn't happy with the factory mirrors. I also assumed I was going to throw my bike at the ground on my last trip that involved some serious dirt skills (and don't have them).

Vibration was completely acceptable at 80+ mph. They fold away easily. They are sturdy enough to use as a helmet stand when parked. Shipping was super quick. Price is comparable to other options, but they are made in the US *and* support an ADV inmate.
  5. notacop

notacop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Emgo deluxe GP aren't too bad
    And, they are cheap! I replace the destroyed mirrors on my DL650 with these. They work most goodest.
  6. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the best accessories I've put on my XRL. No more looking at my elbows.
    Any Honda dealer should be able to get you stock mirrors with their built in rubber vibration dampeners.

[​IMG]

Walter
  7. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Doubletake mirrors.
    There are cheaper mirrors, but buy them once and job done.
    Worst case you can pull them off the burning wreck of your last bike, buy some new ram bases and reuse them on your next bike :lol3.

Pete