Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've always lived pretty close to sea level and I've never had to re-jet any of my bikes... so I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance. You might want to try posting your question in the main Thumper forum rather than this thread, as it may get more traffic and thus you may get an answer to your question quicker. Or I could google it for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rejetting+a+2008+xt250

2. artbone

artbone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply empanadaman but I've been a motorcycle mechanic for 35 years. I know how to rejet a bike. I was looking for some specific hints from someone who has rejetted an XT250. I live in Mexico so I have to have everything shipped down here and it always costs twice as much and takes twice as long. If it's the wrong thing, I might as well eat it because of shipping charges and tariffs.

Having said that, I've ordered a jet kit off flebay and, when I get it, will post the results of my experiments. I really like this little bike for the great dirt roads around here and, if I can get the carb sorted, I think it will be a terror on the bumpy, twisty, paved roads.

Art
  3. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Art,

Looking forward to hearing your results. Since reading your post I've been doing some searching and haven't yet found anyone with personal experience re-jetting an XT250 for altitude. It's definitely something that I'd like to find out about though, since I'll be riding between 5-6K ft above sea level next year. As with other XT250 specific aftermarket parts, there seems to be a hole in the jet market... although I'm guessing a search for carb specific jets may turn up more? Idk though... as I mentioned I've never had to re-jet any of my bikes. Now seems like a pretty good time to read up on the subject though. Thanks for the motiviation!

4. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    You're running rich!!!?:eek1
    Count your blessings.
    I had drilled a 3/4 inch hole right next to the stock molded snorkel (after I rejetted richer) and she was still a little lean.
    Try just drilling another hole next to the snorkel. Start small and work up.

F.W.I.W. I gave up on my 08 XT and bought another DR650. Good little bike but, yamaha can take their Teikei Carb (that's hard to find different jets for) and stick it up their Arse!
    Shame! I really liked my XT except for that damn carb.
  5. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well after searching high and low the best info I could find was that Mikuni small round main jets (N102.221) might fit the XT250's Teikei carb. One of the Mikuni pilot jets supposedly works with the Teikei but not sure which one. I'm gonna go by the local dealer on Monday and see what they know.

Can't ever be easy can it? :scratch
  6. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

White fender and mirror extenders installed.
  7. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What fender did you use? Any problems?
  8. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the fender from here: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-4BE-21511-00-00.html

Part # 4BE-21511-00

The bolt holes match up on my 2010 XT250 but there are a couple of fitment issues. Fairly minor and won't stop me from using this fender in the meantime, until Yamaha realizes how crappy the black front fender looks on a white bike and starts offering an OEM white front fender for the 2008 + XT's. Maybe they will also offer some jets for that damn Teikei carb as well. And for the trifecta they could make the mirrors so you can actually see behind you instead of looking at your shoulders.

I still like my XT though... although it's still not broken it in yet with all this cold weather. Damn global warming!! :csm
  9. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. sieg

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The split fender in black is kind of wierd. Your's looks good, I was going to try a XT 225 fender also so thanks for trying it out, now I know I'm on the right track. Jets are a pain for some carbs, I've got jet drills so I can drill and solder them shut and redrill them if needed. It runs ok here a 600ft.
  11. JollyMeanGiant

JollyMeanGiant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    artbone:

Here's my experience with jetting the XT250 for higher elevations. I got the main jet part number from a parts fiche and then I tried variations of that number at www.ronayers.com to find the other sizes. These jets were used by a bunch of Yamaha thumpers in the 1980s and 1990s.

Yamaha part number - main jet size

288-14343-70-00 is #140
    288-14343-68-00 is #135 standard main jet for 2008 XT250
    288-14343-65-00 is #130
    288-14343-63-00 is #125
    288-14355-61-00 is #122
    288-14343-60-00 is #120
    288-14343-59-00 is #118

I ride from 5000ft up to 12000ft. On long hills and full throttle in 4th and 5th gear, my XT (with #135 main jet) had a bad rich stumble. I drilled some holes in the airbox, but it wasn't enough, so I got the smaller jets. I finally ended up with #122 main jet. I did not make any changes to the needle. The bike runs much better and I'm happy.
  12. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome info, thanks JollyMean! :thumb
  13. Hammock dweller

Hammock dweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a few pics of my 2007 Japanese spec XT250 Serow...

Outside a little Hobbit cabin in Sweden.

[​IMG]

Mine and Reggie "The Cameraman's" XT250's at Eilean Donan Castle-Scotland

[​IMG]

Applecross-Scotish highlands. (Taken by Reggie)

[​IMG]

On the beaches-Omaha beach Normandy

[​IMG]
    mysz74, AdvenatureMOTO and Xtyling like this.
  14. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics Hammock Dweller!
  15. sieg

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

16. The Cameraman

The Cameraman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Empanadaman,

the shot at Applecross, with the clouds clinging to the mountain was mine, all the others are by Docs (AKA Hammock Dweller) fair hands!

Great bikes for a great trip.

Regards

Reggie
  17. Hammock dweller

Hammock dweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that Reggie. They're all mixed up with mine.

Credit where credit is due, great shot.
  18. The Cameraman

The Cameraman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries matey, you're always welcome to use my images should you see fit.

Regards

Reggie
  19. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm envious of you guys... after you get tired of riding around the UK you can just cross the channel and ride around Europe! Sweden during the summer sounds pretty nice... lot's of nice scenery I imagine! :evil

20. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer: