Two Beards, Two Beemers: A Canadian Trip Too Short

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by HBN, Sep 18, 2012.

1. fastredbike

fastredbike getting back in the fight Supporter

Oddometer:
    In!
    Any RR that starts off like thins has to be good. Enjoying the photos!
    :thumb:thumb
  2. OldnoGPS

OldnoGPS Just a sightseer

Oddometer:
    Great read so far. Yep, even when it was still OK to go into Canada with a drivers license and original birth certificate, I got some serious stink-eye on the way back into the US. Maybe it was because we were bringing Grimmboys 640 back into the US after the Heroes Legend - Paris/Dakar and we seemed suspicious with all that paperwork (much cheaper transport from Canada). We were at the border for a while...
    HBN - I sold my blue/white GS like yours to a guy from NS. They must like going that way.
  3. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Aright boys, the silence is killing me; I'm craving the next installment!
  4. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll be putting more up this week. Beard first! :augie
  5. Dr. Beard

Dr. Beard Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer:
    Sorry folks. I had to skip town for the weekend, but I'm back and an update will be up tonight.

Stay tuned... :shark
  6. Dr. Beard

Oddometer:
    Okok. Due to the eager demands of literally 2 of people, here is my rushed contribution to Day 3. I swear, I eventually start taking some pictures. It just wasn't today. :lol3

After waking up at the butt-crack of dawn to already find my compadre packed, fed, showered, and ready to ride, I fell out my tent & fumbled around for some tea. I can't start the day w/o a cup'a. :*sip* Thirty minutes to an hour later, I'd ended HBN's suffering and gotten packed up & on the bike.

We took off and rode the length of Maine in what my memory recorded as a couple of hours. It may have been longer than that...

Rt9 was bloody gorgeous & traffic was light. Just miles & miles & miles of rolling hills & sunshine. :ricky

Then we hit the border in Calais. Growing up in the greater Buffalo NY area, we went into Canada on a regular basis (with the drinking/smoking age being less than the US, if they ever even bothered to ID you) and then later for epic camping trip in Algonquin. This, however, would be my first m/c border crossing. To my amazement the border agent was one of the most stunning french canadian women I've ever seen in my life. Long story short, the last thing I said before riding off was “Are you SURE you don't have any reason to detain me??” :knary

Redundant picture just to look like I took a few...

[​IMG]

Then we rode off into Canada, both of our GPS's showing us riding straight across the countryside due to the recent relocation of CA1.

After more gorgeous roads that I neglected to photograph, we ended up at the St. Joh/Digby ferry where we very bravely chose to relax for 4hrs until the ferry left instead of exploring the town.

This how a wild HBN KCCO's while waiting for a ferry:
    [​IMG]

Finally they let us on, with me muttering incantations under my breath he whole way down the ramp to not drop the bike on the slick metal surface.

Apparently we took the identical shot. Or HBN stole mine...
    [​IMG]

Mike on the Poop Deck:
    [​IMG]

Finally, after a very wild, dark, slightly terrifying, definitely thrilling, high speed run on the only road down the “neck” we arrived at our accommodations. And I was stunned. I was happily ready to kip it in a tent in the back yard or sleep on the floor in a spare room. But no, we were thrust into the lap of luxury: Our own freaking HOUSE for the next 2 days. Not only that, it was supplied with snacks & cold beer. I'm happier than I've been in years and settle into an overstuffed chair and bullshit for an hour or two before I crash out in a warm bed for the first time in... ok, like 1 night. But it was still amazing.

(Editors Note: I really do have some pics finally for Day 4. :lol3)
  7. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fourth day saw us relaxing in and around Digby Neck and being general moto-slackers in terms of mileage and terrain, but not photographs or natural beauty.

I had a cup of coffee and one of my aunt's delicious muffins then walked around taking morning shots of flowers and other HBN'esque shots. I won't bore you with most of those though...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found this in my grandpa's old garage workbench. How cool is that! This would have been from the early 1950's.
    [​IMG]

After the grumpy bitch woke up ( :lol3 ) in a much happier mood, we set out for a hike up Mount Shubel. It is the highest point in the small town of Sandy Cove and overlooks both St. Mary's Bay and The Bay of Fundy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After eating a ton of blackberries on the trail, we hopped on the bikes for a ride south for scallop rolls. Of course this involves taking the ferry over to Long Island.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beard smiling. He cannot see.
    [​IMG]

The lobster traps lined the small fishing community on the narrow passage between Digby Neck and Long Island.
    [​IMG]

We rode south to the end of Long Island and decided to skip the ferry to Briar Island in favor of some seafood.
    [​IMG]

You want to know how big the lobster was?! It was "THIS BIG!"
    [​IMG]

And the scallop roll I have been dreaming of for years since my last visit to Lavena's Catch Cafe in Freeport, Nova Scotia.
    [​IMG]

Screwing about after the delicious feast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every road seemed to find us at another Dead End. We knew that it would since we were exploring a 10 mile long island. Alas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the gravel road down to Beautiful Cove. I shit you not.
    [​IMG]

I suggested we check out The Balancing Rock while we work our way back north. Little did I know I had invited SWAMP THING along with me
    [​IMG]

There were a lot of stairs. Just ask Beard :augie
    [​IMG]

Balancing Rock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doing that ferry thing with swagger
    [​IMG]

Still no clue what this sign was about. There wasn't anything nearby for a half mile and then it was just a random driveway or two :huh
    [​IMG]

Sneak shot of Beard checking out the Scallop fleet in Digby Harbor
    [​IMG]

We then made our way over to the NSLC (Nova Scotia Liquor Commission) where we were appalled at the price of alcohol.

One can...
    [​IMG]

And the choice of names...:lol3
    [​IMG]

Afterward, we returned back in time for a family lobster feast.

Representing the BWDR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh man it was delicious. This would not be the last lobster we eat up north.
    [​IMG]

After eating, we drove over to the Bay of Fundy to watch the sunset.
    [​IMG]

This is on my top five favorite places to watch the sunset.
    [​IMG]

After waiting for the last stains of sunlight to wash down the sky, we drove back home to have fresh local berry berry pie (blackberry and blueberry) and swill Scotch.

Beard was kind enough to take a night shot of the family home. I was kind enough to photograph him taking photographs. Real fun stuff us photogs...
    [​IMG]

With our stomachs happily stuffed with lobster and pie, we eventually turned in to bed. It is nice to take a day here and there to relax and act like you are on vacation instead of RIDE RIDE RIDE. Believe me, I have plenty of time for that later in the RR :deal

The trip up north through Nova Scotia starts next! (Well after Beard puts up his Day 4 shots)
  8. Dr. Beard

Oddometer:
    Which I'll get to when I'm damned good & ready!! :lol3
  9. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    Great Feast!!! :tb :clap
  10. XC Rider

Oddometer:

I don't mind being bored......:D

Thanks for the updates boys; t'was the perfect lunch time distraction.
  11. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Dammit, I'm always late to the party!:rofl

Looks Great beard boys!!! Excellent trip! Thanks for all the great images!
  12. NittanyRider

NittanyRider Walking Contradiction

Oddometer:
    Nice RR, guys! :clap Thanks for taking us along.
  13. Dr. Beard

Oddometer:
    My Day 4 would be up right now, but SOMEONE's stupid little orange scoot broke down at 1am and had to be rescued. On the way: my truck overheated, my neighbor ran over to come along for the rescue in her jammies :huh, I had to get water from a night worker painting a cafe (neighbor came in very handy there), and much more fail.

So if you were looking for an update, blame Stella. Or her skinny-ass owner. :deal

:lol3

[​IMG]
  14. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my expression says more than I could...

5th or 6th time it has left me stranded...damn Italian-Indian disaster!
  15. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    Dang boys ... What the heck are ya's doing up in the wee morning hours ,riding around the city!!! Making a ruckus .. oops scratch that...
    Having a Stella moment... :rofl

:hide
  16. XC Rider

Oddometer:

Alright, I'll let you slide, but the fail in this is whole thing is.......Where are the pictures of the
    !?!?!?!? :ddog :lol3
  17. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    :rofl :stupid
  18. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    great job guys - keep it coming
  19. Dr. Beard

Oddometer:

Day 4 Pt2:

So this was our accommodations whilst in Sandy Cove. I loved it so much I offered to buy the place. :deal Was told there was 3 people in line ahead of me. :cry

[​IMG]

Nice morning walk up the mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally we get back on the bikes and head back down the 'Neck. Beautiful riding. After a few glorious miles we hop the ferry to the appropriately named Long Island.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally stopped at the far end of the island for lunch. I'm reposting this picture because it REALLY was that good. :tb

[​IMG]

After lunch we toured the town (... Freeport). The scenery was stunning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped for the only tourist attraction on the island. HBN don't need a tent!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the Hacienda for Lobster dinner. :dg

[​IMG]

And then off to the Fundy side of the neck for a stunning sunset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A view of the Cove at dusk.

[​IMG]

And view of HBN's family homestead.

[​IMG]

And to finish off a day that sounds boring on paper, but was fantastically relaxing & beautiful, I went to bed drunk & happy. :nod
  20. TOTim

TOTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is nothing wrong with drunk and happy.
    Great RR in Canada. Keep it coming.