The big KTM 990 SMT thread -- riders check in w/ photo!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Guy Jinbaiquerre, Feb 23, 2010.

1. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
  2. Smithers167

Smithers167 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pulled my first wheelie racing a friend. 5 mph rolling start. Hit the throttle and the front came up. Was really surprised. I figured i would need to be higher in the rpm range. Had a little pucker going on. Not going to lie. Lol
  3. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Jealous...
  4. milq

milq Long timer

Oddometer:
    IndyChizzle, are you looking for new, used? Price range if used?

Superbikeshop in Evansville, IN has an unsold white one last time I was there (3 weeks), I think it was a 2012.

I have a 2010 orange with 15k miles and some mods that I might be persuaded to sell. I haven't thought about it really, love the bike but still owe a few bucks on it and relief of debt is never a bad thing.
  5. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    I've seen the one in Evansville, but the dealer wants 2013 money for a 2012 model... I also emailed them, but they never responded.

I'd like to find a well taken care of used model if I could, but mostly I'm looking for something in good condition or something I can add a little TLC to get to good condition. I will PM you my info...
  6. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 with many options located in Dublin, Ohio that I might want to sell.
  7. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Doh! I think I'm chasing you from one forum to another :D. PM sent with contact info.
  8. Smithers167

Oddometer:
    Installed a 16 tooth front sprocket today. Really cleans up the engine on low rpms. And fun factor is increased! :)
  9. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I was really impressed with how much the LV Cans cleaned up the lower RPMs. I've heard the same about the Rottweiler intake. (The intake also adding more go!). I have one sitting in a box at home... Still haven't had time to throw it together. :(
    Now that I'll be moving 2 hours closer to curved roads, I'll try out the 16t as well.

The low rpm annoyance really reminds me that this bike is not meant to drive around parking lots.
  10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Went online looking for some adjustable levers for our CB500X. Also found a 16t sprocket for the 990. And some rear axle sliders, too. There are occasionally some nice little gems on Amazon.
  11. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found 16t on Amazon but I'm unsure if it will work. Can you let me know if it fits. Thanks.
  12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    All of the 16t for the LC8s (Adv, SM, SMR, SD) had the same part number. As long as you're getting a 950/990 sprocket, you should be fine.

I went with the JT sprocket.
    jtf 1904-16.
  13. MIghty

MIghty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I found it. Half as much is a great deal.
  14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  15. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    FYI on the 990 smt forum, there is a guy in chino, CA selling a 2012 with low miles and white for $9800.00 If I was closer I would be buying it
  16. Yoozy

Yoozy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

And I'm loving it. A real world go anywhere do anything bike. Spot on for blasting the rounds round northwest Ingerlund and the tours I'm planning next year :bow

Cans, bling and mods to follow :evil
  17. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I haven't put on über miles on my SMT, but I'll tell you that I'm still far from being bored with it.
    I'll suggest that your new bike will keep you happy for a long time.
  18. Christophe

Christophe weekend warrior

Oddometer:
    The best mod for this bike is a remap, imho. If anyone is still hesitating, just do it, Kev's maps on ktmsmt.com simply transform the bike, and it takes just a few minutes once you have the cable. My bike was difficult under 3krpm, and a little hollow between 3 and 5krpm... now, I find myself staying in gear down to 2krpm and the bike is more responsive all round. The biggest problem with the standard maps, as far as I can understand the tuneecu software, is the switch to a different map method under 12% throttle with the standard maps, which is now removed. But Kev has done more changes, and the whole range response is better. :clap
  19. Smithers167

Oddometer:
    I will be doing this for sure. Bike is now in storage for the winter. :( I hope to be accruing parts over the winter. But first is new tires on the Jeep $1400, new tires on the bike, and 5000 mile service.
  20. Mugatu

Mugatu Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer:
    Salut Christophe, and how is your fuel consumption now with the remap?
    You still have the stock cans?
    I would be ok with a smoother engine at low revs, but don't really want to put money on a new exhaust ;)