2014 KTM Adventure 1190 Thread

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by harryzgnilek, Dec 3, 2013.

1. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    New here so I thought I would share a couple of shots and my impressions of the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got this at a good deal, wasn't really looking for one but it came along so why not. I had always considered an adventure bike but had never got around to it.
    Had bucket loads of mx and enduro bikes in the past as well as sport bikes, raced in the dirt for twenty odd years and ridden the road for longer, so a reasonable amount of experience.

When I got the bike I rode it to work a couple of times and thought, this isn't to bad, goes fairly hard, comfortable and gets a few looks, nice.
    Well the first Sunday came along and I thought I had better try it in the dirt. Rode about 30k's through the twisties and rounded up a few Harleys along the way to Gembrook, an area not to far from my place to give it a run in the bush.
    Now I'm fifty, haven't ridden in the dirt for about 3 years, was on my own and had the standard tyres on it.
    This bike is way to good in the bush for its size.
    After a little while on gravel it was up the tracks, third gear up hills, jumping erosion banks up and down hills, ruts, it was fantastic. I had to constantly remind myself of the weight of the bike to stop myself from getting to cocky.
    Got some interesting looks from a few boys on trail bikes, while I was launching of erosion mounds coming down hill.
    The ABS in the dirt is amazing, I think I would of out braked my Husaberg in the gravel.
    The power delivery is so smooth and controlled that I had forgotten to reset the electrics to off road mode at one stage and was riding in street mode without a problem.
    Now it was fairly dry and I can imagine that it would have been a different story in the wet, but another set of rims and tyres will help that.

Left the dirt and did another 160 odd fast k's on the road. What other bike can you do that on, to that degree.

Well after that day and can say I am very impressed and I am not easily impressed.

I had watched a couple of the Chris Birch videos and thought, noooo, but after riding the bike I can see how he does it. You just have to be a little younger than fifty and be able to get out of the way when 230kg is bearing down on you.:lol3
  2. rsser

rsser Riding into the sunset

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's an amazingly capable bike & plain fun to ride.
  3. ozzieadventure

ozzieadventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome mate, I picked up a 14 model non R about a week ago and love it, where are you located we might have to catch up for a ride sometime altho I'll leave the jumps to you.:rofl
  4. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Narre Warren
    Would be good to catch up for a ride sometime.
  5. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Well I was thinking completely White, with black trim, but.....KTM stole my idea....so now I am thinking......:1drink

Actually pretty happy with the current version but I still keep thinking Hydro graphics:wink:

I will look at the odyssey battery you noted
  6. ozzieadventure

ozzieadventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds good mate, I quite often do the twin spurs (Reefton and Black spur) on a Thursday night leaving Yarra Junction at 6.30, send me your mobile number and I'll message you next time if your interested, wont be for a couple of weeks.
  7. NewToMe

NewToMe safety 3rd

Oddometer:

Not so much. Was looking at that on two bikes here today. It's fine, but I still am thinking about a unique paint scheme.
    Or maybe I'll just buy the 690 to take care of my bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Somewhere I saw an 1190 that was mostly white with orange trim that caught my eye.
  9. cookieGB

cookieGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this one?

[​IMG]
  10. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exhaust can looks saweeet (SD?), but the rest of the bike looks chubby heavy... maybe its the angle...
  11. Just for the record, I don't think the girl looks "chubby heavy" at all. I would ride her anytime.
  12. Koolranch

Koolranch NCADVR

Oddometer:

I haven't been here in a while and I miss these kind of comments.
  13. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old post, but did you ever find a solution for control of your own motorcycle?
  14. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    One of the Venders has a LED blinker bulbs he thinks will work on the KTM. I ordered 2 sets to find out....they sure look bright. I plan to try them in the new 690 stems I have but may just put my OEM stems back on using the LED bulbs.

Dyanmic Motorrad is the Vendor

http://dynamicmotorrad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/flashled.gif
  15. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Not sure. This is the pic I saved. This one needs a (high) white front fender, IMO. :d

[​IMG]
  16. DirtJack

Oddometer:
    Mine came from Superbright LEDs (https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/bau15s/). They are awesome bright even in the brightest sunlight. It's all in the reflector.

http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~jhowland/blinker.MOV
  17. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I like it man. The price is right too
  18. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    So working on things and as usual I broke something :norton

The passenger seat release that you use the key to unlock, so I slipped the key in and turned it like normal, felt and heard a "pop". The key just turns without unlatching the seat. So I take a flat tip screw driver and there is a small area at the top of the keyed latch release that just looks like you pry on it there. The whole assembly just pops right out. Sure enough there is a plastic tab the cab stop rests in that had snapped off. You can just pull on the cable with pliers and the seat will release. But going to need a new one.....ordered it....$6. When I get the new one I am going to add some Quick steel to the area to make it stronger.

Interestingly enough though the area that the keyed release rests has what i think is a perfect unused space to hide a spare key and a C-note or something else for emergencies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also received my Wolfman Hoop bags ($60 for 2) and they fit almost perfect on the Touratech upper crash bars and on the KTM lower bars. Unsure if I will keep them both there but it sure adds options for carrying misc items. The bags are big enough to put 2 20oz water bottles in each to give you an idea of size. Tire kit and tools or a light rain suit could for sure go in there. The bags are very secure once you mount them up. The lower mounted bag seems to be far enough from the exhaust pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    This is the second report of the seat lock just popping out. Definitely a major security problem...
  20. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    That seat lock bracket looks like a candidate for a milling session. Mild steel, decent aluminum, end of problem.