Yammy Majesty, the perfect scoot?....for me?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sealsam, Jan 14, 2013.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in the scoot market for Mrs. Samthg & me, but not for two-up. I'll be buying 2 scoots.

The 250 & under will not do it. I want to be able to venture out of town 100-150mi for overnight trips. This is gunna require some highway travel and 60mph won't work, gotta go faster than that just to keep up.

The weights of the maxi's is the same as my RT. The Majesty 400 is about 100 lbs less. The seat height is a plus at 29". Had the wife on a SYM at a couple inches taller and she straddled it ok.

The valve adjustment involvement is a concern.

I've been over to BMW a few times, but at $10k and 575lbs, I don't think so.

Guess i'm just fishing around for some reason to buy or not to buy.

What'd think??.....
  2. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    I have had a 2007 Majesty 400 for nearly four years. It came to me with about 3600 miles.Now getting ready to turn over 16,000 it has not disappointed. I rode the belt to nearly 15k (12K is reccomended replacement) have replaced tires twice. Valve adjustment will probably be due at 20,000mi. When changing the belt we changed the rollers to sliders with slightly less weight.The scoot seems much quicker now.
    My wife is an occasional passenger at best.She says the seating is not the most comfortable (a bit wide)but does fine for the timeshespends on the back.
    Long range travel is no problem. My longest trip was 2000mi rt from NC to St. Louis and back for a maxi scoot rally. I really like the way the bike can be loaded.The split seat allows gear to be on the pillion seat and you to access the underseat storage.
    My riding crew are on HD's for the most part. They HATE IT when I am in a "twist and go mood" and show up on the scoot instead of my Vulcan. When running out on the highway, they just shake their heads after seeing me keep the pace.
    Guess you have figured I like the Maj. :clap
  3. Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka Old Fart

Oddometer:
    My story: 81 years old. 40 years uninterrupted BMW bike owner. Last October sold my '05 R1200GS that had 180K miles. Getting old sucks. Balance and and legs are not the same. I did a 500 mile test ride on a Yamaha Tmax, and another 500 mile test ride on a Yamaha Majesty. It helps that I work part time in a HD/BMW/Yamaha/Ducati dealership. I picked the Majesty. Not much slower than the 500cc twin Tmax. MUCH lighter/handier. Performance: Very smooth cruising with the needle on 90 on the I'm sure optimistic speedometer. Nearby is a Interstate with a looong uphill piece, where smaller stickshift cars have to shift down. The Majesty holds 85mph all the way. I found a "used" (it was titled) '09 Majesty with 160 miles, got it in October. Did a few 300 mile day rides. Now it has 3500 miles. That in Maryland winter. I guess I like it.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the Majesty will work just fine for you however a 250 or 300 will also work and will be a lot lighter. I did a 2100 mile, 8 state trip on my Aprilia Sport City 250 and that included a full day of interstate highway riding. The ride report is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803404
  5. scootermann

scootermann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you intend on doing some highway (not interstate, although the Majesty can handle it) riding, I would go with the Majesty. If your requirements are that you only occasionally go highway, a 250 will do. I had a Honda Reflex that I loved. The buffeting from a crosswind on high bridges was a bit unnerving. But then I got a Majesty and all is right with the world. I added slightly lighter (14gr) sliders, and ride 2-up in the NC mountains with no problem; cruise at an easy 65-70 for hours. Pretty simple maintenance if you are so inclined.

So a lot of scooters may suit. Best to try the ergonomics anyway, but my vote would be Majesty.

Edit: Klaviator, Read your ride report. Very nice, especially on a 250. Hope to take the Majesty up to Kentucky from SC this fall (2-up), and you have inspired me. Thanks.
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Majesty is a nice scooter, but with an MSRP of $7,000, it would be about $9,500 OTD here. I know it is not a scooter, but when I consider spending such a large amount of money, I start thinking about bikes like the Honda CB1100, Triumph Bonneville T100, Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, etc. Apples and oranges yes. But why do scooters have to be so expensive.

Actually the biggest issue I have with the Majesty besides the price and depreciation is the valves. They are only due ever 26,000 miles, but the dealers here want almost $1000 to do them. You have to almost completely disassemble the scooter, including removing the engine. 26,000 miles would be about 2 - 2 1/2 years for me. At that point the $9500 scooter would be worth less than $3000, and I'd be looking at a $1000 valve job. (I can get 2 rebuilt heads for a small block Chevy for less than that) I could do the valves on almost any motorcycle myself. Somehow the economics of maxi scooters doesn't seem to make sense to me.
  7. Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Two valid major objections to the Majesty are the high initial MSRP and and the extreme depreciation of a used one. So put these two scenarios together and take advantage of it. Low mileage used ones are available at very good prices. I know, I got one. There has been no significant change to the Majesty from 2008 to 2012.
  8. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Best way to buy right there.:wink:

My previous motorcycle I bought cheap with 10k on it. Kept it for 5+ years and put over 30k on it. Sold it for $500 less than I paid for it.

Take your time to look. If you buy it right you will never be in a bad spot financially with it.
  9. 2WheelDuende

2WheelDuende Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just S of the cheddar curtain (Grayslake,IL)
    I bought my 2006 in 2008 for about $3k. It had 660 miles. I'm at around 18500 miles.
    You can check the Majesty forum site for info about the valve maint. I have read that is a valve check interval, not necessarily requiring adjustment. I've also read that the Burgman has shorter intervals between valve checks. Not sure how other scoots rank as far as their valve maintenance.
  10. sealsam

Oddometer:
    driller, this is the actual kinda info i'm searching for. Being new to scooters(I don't like that term, autocycle is better)i've got some learning to do. You mentioned 'rollers to sliders', I don't know YET what this is, but I will soon.

Any oil usage? My experience has been any thumper running for long periods of time is gunna drink it. As an ex-KLR owner I'm used to it.

I'm wondering about the windscreen. Have you remained stock or did you require a change. I run two different screens on my R100 depending on time of year.

I'm sure the Maj forum is gunna have tons of info, but ADV folk seem to cut to the chase a bit quicker. Thanks for the response.
  11. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Jeezus, you're an inspiration!

It is the top heaviness of my RT that is starting to get to me, that's what is driving me more towards a mid-scooter. It is night and day from my R100 to the RT. I'm relating the scoot to my R100 with the low center of gravity.

Since I get out to our local deserts quite often, my concern has been the hills. There is a grade from the Anza Borrego Desert that climbs up to northern San Diego County, and this has been my concern! I'm on that road a whole lot from Sept to May.

On another note, PM you've got me thinking about a fellow I had known for only a few years before he lost his battle with cancer. His name was Fred. Fred was in his mid 80's and rode BMW's for 40+ years, and was on his R90 just weeks before his death, all 110lbs of him. Every Saturday Fred would ride his 90 down to the local Harley dealer for their free hot dog give away. He would pull in on that 90, roll up to all the folks standing around and squeeze that 90 in, and say the same thing everytime.."Hey, is this where the good bikes park, or just Harley's?":lol3

Thanks PM.
  12. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Great link klaviator. Last weekend I sat on the SYM300 which may or maynot be in the same class as the SC250. It sure did sit nice. The little i've researched so far leads me to think Aprilia has a fine reputation. Crap, I've got more homework.
  13. Scott_F

Scott_F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would agree, 400cc is the right size for what you describe. I would also include the Burgman 400 in your considerations. It is a proven design with an active support community and good dealer network, much like the Yamaha or Honda maxis. My wife and I tour, take a couple of weeks and go exploring through the Pacific Northwest, so our miles are mainly on highways. We have a pair of Burgman 650s, which we find perfect for the type of riding we like to do. A Burgman 400 would likely be just as suitable, but when we bought our bikes (2009) the only model with ABS was the Burgman 650 Executive. (The new Burgman 400 now also has ABS.) These things do depreciate quickly, much faster than some of the sellers realize. Watch craigslist for a used one or monitor the Burgman and Majesty forums for one coming on the market.

Ride safe
    Scott Fraser
  14. DarthJ

DarthJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Considering the decals on the bikes and registration info say motorcycle, I consider scooters to be motorcycles. Just a subset like cruisers, sportbikes, baggers, whatever. Shouldn't be any oil usage as they are all 4-strokes. Windscreen is always a personal choice. Try it with stock and if that works fine, you're set. If not, get the best you can. The rollers/sliders are in the variator and can have an impact on acceleration, top speed and mpg. The Yamaha or the Suzuki are both very good choices and well made. The only one Honda has in the big scooter range is the Silverwing. Nice bike but if you don't need the extra engine size, save the $$.
  15. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Funny how things go. I hadn't even thought of Suz because, like most, I only think of their Burg 650. So since your response, I was running around today and ended up in LA Cycle Sports. They had a '12 400 on the floor. $7599 out the door:eek1. Nice enough sales fellow said there is NO negotiation! Anything lower than that price, would not even be considered, so I told him adios. But I did sit on it and it felt pretty darn good.

Then I'm in the gas station this evening, and what pulls up to the pump right next to me, yep, Burg 400. I never see scoots in gas stations. What are the odds of the very bike I looked at just a few hours earlier, pulls up???? His was an '09. He seemed to be pretty happy with his, 75 mph all day long.

At the dealer...
    [​IMG]
  16. lcseds

lcseds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the MSRP of a '12 Burg 400 ABS. Not a bad price since it is OTD (taxes, prep, doc fee, etc included). I'm sure someone will come along and say they got their brand new one for $5800 or something OTD. But excluding these miracle deals, an OTD that is MSRP or less ain't bad.
  17. Scott_F

Scott_F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. sealsam

Oddometer:
    No, No, No Scott. You Canadians measure wrong, it's only about 1600 "real" miles:lol3. Easy Peazy my friend. Mrs. Samthg & I have already been to Bigfork, MT twice this year to visit my mother-in-law. Once on the RT and once this fall in our jeep. This lady is the greatest! She lived not far from us in CA, then retired 6 years ago to Bigfork. Kinda of a double edge sword. I kinda happily take Mrs. Samthg to see her mom, and I go hang out in Glacier NP:clap. Not a bad gig, eh?

Now I need to cross that border this summer and get into your neck of the woods. Would like to experience Banff & Jasper and whatever you may suggest:ear. I guess I'll have to start a new thread for 'Canadian suggestions'.
  19. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PSummer 2011 my husband and I rode from Breckenridge, Colorado to Fallbrook, California. He on our Sports City 250 and me on my BV 500. The Sports City held 85 mph on I-15 for 150 miles in 112f heat with a couple of stops so WE could cool off and down some water. Before that trip the Sports City spent 2 years running up and down the Rockies from Denver to Breckenridge. Yes, it did slow down on a few of the grades but it held speeds equal to that the 4 cyl cars on the same roads.

Max speed he rode was 88mph by gps. Max speed on my Vespa GTS 250 is 82-84 by gps which has been ridden on I-10 in Texas though I prefer secondary roads to freeways even on the 500 which will cruise all day long at 85, even 95 mph (though gas mileage sucks at those speeds) which is the speeds I crossed most of Nevada on the way back from California after leaving the Sports City with my son.

Reputable 250s are quite capable of 200 mile freeway trips unlike some of the low end Chinese ones. We've got some folks who ride no name Chinese "300cc" scoots that can't keep up with our Buddy 125. my husband's ridden it on the freeway at 65mph but I think its too light for freeway traffic. A friend has told me that he cruised all around So. California from Costa Mesa to San Diego to Big Bear 2 up on a BV 350 and never felt like he was low on power. Knowing Chris I'm sure he spent time on the freeways especially since he said he cruised 2 up at 75 for a couple of hours.

Photos from that trip are on my blog starting at http://cheryldwise.com/?p=164
  20. Scott_F

Scott_F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a coincidence.. we were in Bigfork twice last year, too! There is some fine riding in Montana. For that matter, there is some fine riding almost anywhere between where you are and where I am... In the last three seasons we have put 30,000 km on our Burgmans riding though BC, MT, ID, WA and eastern Oregon. There is some unbelievable riding in between. Next year we are headed to California to take a picture. I have a very old photo of my grandparents and their '68 Rambler taken at Legget, CA, inside the drive-though tree. I want a photo of us, taken at the same spot. It's as good an excuse as any for a road trip!

If you do decide to travel into Canada, post in the Regional Forums section and there will be no shortage of suggestions as to what are the best roads to ride. There are many, almost all in BC. Beware, though, that BC is considerably more expensive than the US. Last year we went to Victoria through Washington and came back through BC. On average, BC cost us an additional $60 per day for meals, gas, accommodation and taxes (two people, two bikes, one room). We knew what to expect, but it was still a rude shock. If it helps, we have been all through the area on our bikes and have our own shortlist of favourite roads.

Have fun shopping and Ride safe
    Scott Fraser