The Adventures of Tyson and Hobbes

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by av_mech, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Sl3dge

Sl3dge Metal Militia

Oddometer:
    I think Hobbes was thinking more like :dood , i might lie down here, soak up some rays and take a combat nap
  2. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Besides you wouldnt have come back....

3. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    I know, I know. Still waiting for the conclusion after two weeks. Jeez I'm a slacker. Just had a ton of major stuff going on recently. Not that I have forgotten about you guys. Other things have just been more pressing. Sorry.
  4. Hachon

Hachon n00b

Oddometer:
    First of all, excuse me for being from Norway, my english isn't perfect.

I've read all your posts the last three weeks, and I'm impressed with your skills.
    I changed bike early in May because the Tiger is awesome, (I've always loved the looks of that bike), and my friends was all about "BUY THE F800! BUY THE F800!", so I bought the Tiger.
    I'm in love with that bike, the last 14 days I've at least got a couple of TKC on it.
    I'm rather short legged so I have a problem when putting my legs down if there's an incline, but most of this will work it self out as I feel safer on the bike. (Communiting is no problem since it's white and everybody think I'm a cop).

I rode a Kawasaki ER6-N until May 2012, so this is my first dual sport bike, but you keep inspiring me to challenge myself.
    GOD DAMN how do you manage those roades and the road tires?
    If you want you can see the vertically challenged Hachon on the following videos (with roar tires, but no where near your expertise).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJGVQORt9os
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9K5NDbMZPo&feature=plcp
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWOvbun7lx0&feature=player_embedded

I'm really looking forward for your new ride reports.

I'm wondering, what's the reason for having a gun, I don't try to start a discussion but open carry or concealed carry in Europe is not allowed and I really don't see the point.
    There are nearly no deaths in Norway due to guns, and if it happens it's usually due to a hunting accident.

Best regards
    Håkon

edit: typo. added another video from last weekend. 08-12.
  5. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    WOW... Excellent photos Tyson! That Payette group is awesome!!!

I HATE that feeling when you hear the ting and you don't know where it went..... Those motheufuukin tings can make a job take 4X more time. Gotta love finding the culprit though..:deal

Thanks for all the eye candy. :thumb
  6. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Sorry Tyson but I am going to hijack for just a second.

Guns in the USA are everywhere. There are also dangerous animals. Unfortunately there are many deaths due to guns over here. Conceal carry in the United States is legal (in most states), and a very touchy subject...
  7. Petrolburner

Petrolburner Noise Maker

Oddometer:
    Yeah Hachon, it's a whole different environment over here. For Tyson and I, guns are another technological gadget that are not only very cool, but very useful in their element.

Tyson had a very long weekend in the moto from what I can tell.
  8. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very different environment indeed.... and not an apples to apples comparison.

A large number here in the wild west take our right to open and/or licensed concealed carry very seriously. It always amazes me the unsavory elements that one can run into far into the back country?.... whereas a visable firearm can be and is a most effective deterent. It sends a message in a language that even dirtbags can understand.... "Don't "F" with me and move on"

.... I chose not to open carry in town.
  9. daxm

daxm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope Tyson doesn't mind the thread hijack but I cannot let this go unspoken.

I too agree that a visible firearm is a good deterrent AND a conversation opener (with good people). However, I think more of us should carry openly in town more often. Just like Gay rights or Women's Lib we need to "expose" the general public to the fact that good people can carry guns too! I haven't taken action on it yet but I'm thinking of seeing if the NRA (or some other group) would help me setup a "National Open Carry" day/month to show support/use of our Constitutional rights.
  10. Petrolburner

Petrolburner Noise Maker

Oddometer:
    Anything to get the post count up :rofl

National open carry day would be great!
  11. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    I had to "extract" Hobbes from the boonies last night. Two flat tires in one day. I had to hitchhike 75 ish miles home, get the truck, and go get him. It was one hell of a weekend. All I gotta say is, I was super fortunate it was a busy weekend in the mountains and I didn't have to wait long to be picked up. It could have been hours and maybe even days in some of the places I ride. I was just getting the Spot out to push the "come get me" button when a truck rolled around and agreed to get me back to Boise.
  12. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    What do you carry in terms of flat repair supplies? That sucks that you had to hitchhike and stuff, but I'm curious so I can carry (more) stuff to get be able to get past several flats in a day. I already carry two tubes (one front/one rear) and a patch kit plus the various tools required. Thinking about adding another front tube too.

Rob
  13. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    ......where did you get stuck?
  14. daxm

daxm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where were you? DId you go to YP? I was there and would have happily helped you out. :freaky
  15. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Hey Tyson: I spent the night in YP Thursday evening on my way through on my ride. Sorry I missed you. So, whats up with Hobbes? did you get yourself in too deep and where?
  16. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    I did the tubeless mod to my rear wheel by sealing the spokes. I mounted the tire and two spokes leaked. To the tune of a pound every 10 min. I didn't have a choice but to put a tube back in for the weekend trip to Yellow Pine. The only tube I had was the one I've been running for the past 10,000 miles. The valve stem was a little rusty, but overall in good shape. I made it to Yellow Pine and my tire was flat on Sunday morning. The valve stem gave out. No fixing that. So, I shoved my 21 in spare in there that I carry. That made it about 45 miles before it totally failed. I couldn't get any air to stay in it at all, so I knew it was ripped wide open. Instead of breaking the bead to investigate, I decided to run it flat to get to Deadwood and Cozy Cove Campground in hopes that my friends that were car camping were still there. No luck. No choice but to continue on the flat and hope to get over Scott Mountain to the pavement where I could thumb a ride. I only made it another few miles before I rolled the bead. Park it. It's all over now. Miraculously, a truck came around the corner right as I was getting ready to hit my spot. They agreed to take me to Boise. Patch kit would have done me no good. Just shitty luck this weekend. It may be all worth it though if something else works out. Something cool happened in Yellow Pine, but I'm not gonna spill the beans about it quite yet.
  17. Chip_Morgan

Chip_Morgan lieguy@gmail.com Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I just got a Tiger XC myself and live in Boise...we should get together and do some rides....this coming weekend I am taking the Tiger over the MacGruder Corridor, should be fun!

Chip
  18. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came down that way about 4-5 PM yesterday..... Hobbes must have been hiding out pretty good.... I didn't see him anywhere. Too bad as I had a truck and trailer at the Deadwood Campground.......
  19. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Wow. I looked at every campsite as I went by the reservoir looking for a trailer, dirt bikes to get a tube from, empty truck beds, ANYTHING! Didn't see anyone that could have helped much. Yeah, Hobbes was off in the trees.
  20. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Did you use PS-870 or 890?