TAT in June - what gear to bring? (warm/cold)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Panamericana2012, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Panamericana2012

Panamericana2012 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-font-charset:78; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-font-charset:78; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073743103 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:595.0pt 842.0pt; margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> Hello,

I’ll ride the TAT this summer, starting June 24<sup>th</sup>. I’ve read many ride reports about the TAT and I know that this is quite early in the season, at least for the Rockies. Because of that I’m not sure about my gear. Should I prepare more for cold weather or will it be warm almost the entire trip with just some cold days? I can’t stand heat and plan on bring some light gear, but when I’m freezing two out of four weeks… I want to pack as light as possible, so I don't want to carry much clothes. What do you say and what would you do/bring?

Thanks
    Matt
  2. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hum.....

I live in colorado.....this is a difficult to dress for state 3 days ago here in denver it was 75 f, no snow on the ground, motorcyles, and shorts.......sunday morn 8 inches of snow!

It can 80 f in the mts here one day...30 f and snow and rain the next day !

I dress and pack as follows

Full length mesh tight with butt, hip, knee, protection.

klim mesh mojava pants

merino wool long johns use as needed (seldom needed for riding....nice at night)

icon full sidezip lightweight rain overpant as needed for warmth, and weather protection over klim pants

Meriono wool t shirt base layer

merino wool mid weight zip neck hoddie as needed

klim induction mesh jacket with d3o

klim traverse gore tex jack over induction when extra warmth needed or protection from weather

800 down light hooded puffy for camp and to sleep in

That combination gets me through hot and cold here......if the weather gets to bad I will sit it out......

To me the key is to dress in layers that can quickly and easily be put on or removed......

There are other products that will get the job done....some folks really like heated gear...

....good luck....have a great trip !

scott
  3. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was near Silverton, Colorado in mid July last year..Yeah that is frost!
    [​IMG]
  4. Panamericana2012

Panamericana2012 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so far, but that doesnt make it easier for me :D.

Mmh, I just checked the average temps in some states in June/July and I guess it will be warm from Tennessee to New Mexiko, so at least half of the trip.

For Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Oregon the weather-website shows big differences in high/low temps - from 10 to 30'c (9-85 F)... That's not to bad.
    I got merino shirt/pants and will bring it, also a Cross-Jersey.

Anyone else with a tip?
  5. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    What the website did not tell you is you can experence the 85f high down low in valley floor.....then have 40f high temp when you get to high elevation.....then back to 80f all in the same day.......that is why dressing in layers that can be quickly and easily be added or removed is important.

Scott
  6. FBR

FBR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the TAT the same time of year, last year. We had frost some mornings, and went through 18"s of snow on Hancock pass. Some mornings I would use my hand warmers, and by the end of the day we were in 100 degree heat....prepare for all weather.
  7. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the merino wool stuff.

Other than that, Colorado is any kind of weather at any given moment.

John