If you had to choose between a KTM 690 Enduro or a 950SE, which would it be?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kirkmoon, Mar 4, 2008.

1. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Going through the mental exercise. Can't decide.

Will probably use it much more on the street than in the dirt. My dirt riding will probably be limited to fairly non-technical stuff. Both end up costing about the same (can get the SE used.)

What say ye?
  2. leewildwater

leewildwater rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer:
    out riding my two legged horse near Bryson City NC
    hmmm..... light is right and a single is easier to live with, but there is no replacement for displacement. is there a used se out there??
  3. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    Yeah. There are several. Asking around $9800-10,000. Tempting.
  4. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That 950 is heavy compared to the 690. I'm thinking 690.:evil
  5. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I know.

But then I keep thinking of all that power and how nice it would be on the street.

Sheesh.
  6. Groomez

Groomez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. tmh

tmh It's A Wonderful Day For Pie

Oddometer:
    Well, one of the used SE's recently available (in your home area, no less!) has been snapped up.:cry But it was too much bike for me in the dirt - HP/weight ratio too high. Really nice on the street, though, compared to any thumper I have ridden (including my recently acquired '00 XR650L).

Talk was that the 6XX KTM's were hit-or-miss as to whether you got a smooth one or a vibey one. What's the word on the new 690 motor???

For what you say (most riding on the road, and non-technical in the dirt), I would think that the SE might be a better bet for you. I will say that the SE feels a whole lot lighter than the ADV off road, and the ADV is one hell of a dirt bike.

Tom
  8. gabrielu

gabrielu let's go

Oddometer:
    Kirkmoon, have you spent some time on an SE?

The SE is amazing - I've taken it on single track, in the sand, and on Dual Sport rides, and it works great, only limit is me- On the road, with soft suspensions and dual sport knobbies, it's still a gas, though you'll need to watch that frisky front wheel, alwasy ready to come up....:wings

I am biased, I know, but this bike is so much fun both on road and off. Spend some time on it and you'll know what to do :lol3

Gabriele
  9. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sort of having the same question right now. I called a dealer today about the availability of a 690 Enduro, and while on the call, we started talking about the 950SE. I would like a middle bike... Something larger than my 250, and smaller than the 1150Adv. At 400lbs, is it really fitting in the middle?

It's sort of coming down to the 690 being the most practical, but the SE being more of an emotional choice. That's always a tough call.
  10. KenR

KenR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 640 Adventure and a 950 Adventure. Love 'em both, but if I could only have one I'd probably hang on to the 640. It's lower weight just makes it so much more fun in the dirt, at least for me. It's really a versatile bike.
  11. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy answer, one is available...the other isn't yet and has already been pushed back til May...
  12. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    I demo'd a 690SM last summer. Excellent motor. Much smoother than a 640. I'd love to have a 690 Enduro with a set of 17" wheels for the street.
  13. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    Every one of the comments in this thread have been rattling around in my head. I go around in circles.

I am leaning towards the 690 (I am on the list for a 690 SMC when the arrive in May and would buy a set of dirt wheels for it), but every time I think about that SE I just can't help but wonder.

:baldy
  14. kirkmoon

Oddometer:
    Hi Tom -

Glad to hear you sold your bike. Not surprised. Looked very nice. The other one is still available and looks great too.

The new 690 LC4 engine is as smooth as butter. Six speed transmission is very nice. Great package.

And Don at Scuderia went to the dealer roll out recently and came back saying that the 690 SMC was the pick of the lot. Super fun to ride. He liked it better than the new 690 Duke. All I need to do is buy a set of dirt wheels for it and I have an ambidextrous bike that would be great for dirt and play on the street.

I had an XR650R streeted out and really loved it. Only thing I didn't like was the kick start.

I think I am going with the 690 (at least for the next five minutes.) :D
  15. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    I think SEs are cool. And every time I sit on one I'm left wondering what it must be like to be rider enough to actually need such a massive & heavy "dual-sport". Loved my 640 Adventure, am totally looking forward to seeing its replacement, the upcoming 690 Rally, being talked about here.

But back on topic, if I had to choose right now, it'd be the enduro single.
  16. Don Lemelin

Don Lemelin Scuderia West

Oddometer:
    Yah Kirk, Get both.. you know you want to.
    Can you say package deal?
    cheers,
  17. The Big Bear

The Big Bear THE BIG BEAR

Oddometer:
    Well I am Biased because I have one in my garage!:D If you don't like it I will buy it from you when your done with it.:evil

Seriously take the SE, if it is going to be an emotional choice as you stated you will not be let down with the Emotional side of the SE. Insane grins everytime you get off of it.:lol3 :lol3

It flat out kicks ass. I am currently getting some 17's for the street and will post some Pictures of it when done, Hint----- not the standard Woody Wheels-----nothing wrong with them they are amazing people--- I would recomend them to anyone ask for Chris.

I just wanted to try something different for the cost. They are going to be cool when done.

The Se is flat out a blast to ride and the only limit will be your ability to ride it, not the bike. It rips on all terrain and I feel it is a "True" Dual Sport if suppliers offered more choices for Luggage and Fuel.

They are going to manufacture a New tank for it and with that I will have three bikes for any weekend.

Think about it,

One weekend insane Enduro bike with Knobbies, will go anywhere the Riders ability will take it.:clap

Second weekend, 17's on her and shredding the canyons and scaring the shit out of yourself. Wheelie monster!!!!!:clap

Third weekend add the luggage and bigger tank in design and head out to the Desert for some Camping and Adventure weekend.:clap

Bottom line it can do it all with small mods.

Or Can the 690 do the same with the same authority on the same dime and produce the same grin????:wink:
  18. eshelton

eshelton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The SE has TONS of power :evil

I have an extra 450 in the garage, I just might have to check into that conversion. I have no need for it but I'd be the only one in town with it :D
  19. eshelton

eshelton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NOT A CHANCE!
  20. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just curious why it wouldn't make more sense to get the Enduro, and some SM wheels. What is it about the SMC that makes it a better platform?