Around Australia on a Tenere 660

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by singularism, Mar 31, 2014.

1. singularism

singularism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have recently bought a new XTZ660 Tenere and am planning to ride around Australia. I'll be heading south from Brisbane to Melbourne and Tasmania, across to Adelaide and then up the red centre to Darwin. Then over to Perth and back up to the north coast of Queensland...ideally... Any tips for such a tour would be very welcome. i.e. necessities, especially for driving up the centre of Australia? How much water, fuel etc...types of tools I should have with me? Driving techniques...any information is welcome. I am installing two Yamaha side panniers for storage and will probably get a tank bag to balance weight distribution...
  2. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I´m not an expert on Oz... but I once rode through the country years ago. Doing the outback routes is a whole different ballgame than just following the main highways, especially on the desert areas, and even more so, if you´ll travel solo. It is a challenge, that one should not underestimate. And I never went to the far north, but it is my understanding, that rainy season really does affect things in those parts, even main roads can be cut off sometimes, and trails are likely impassable, if you get heavy rains.
  3. crowe2815

crowe2815 kenoath

Oddometer:
    When you say up the red centre to Darwin are you talking about off road or on the main highway? And what time of the year do you intend to do it? If the Teneres seat is anything like a lot of other bike seats you should start sitting on a house brick 6 hours a day to toughen up your arse for the torture ahead.:rofl
  4. daytripper1970_au

daytripper1970_au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are planning on riding in TAS, then give the Western Explorer Road a look (http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/58251/Wester_Explorer_Brochure_web.pdf). The Western Explorer Road was closed due to several landslides for quite a while, however, today; 07-Apr-2014 I received the following email from Graeme Nibbs from the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (TAS) and was advised of the following:

"I am pleased to advise that the Western Explorer has been repaired and was re-opened for traffic this afternoon."

Thank God, because I'll be on it in a weeks time.

Cheers

DT
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think posting this in the Aus forum would get a lot more advice
  6. daytripper1970_au

daytripper1970_au Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed... still finding my feet here. Thanks for the notification.

Cheers

DT
  7. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey DT, I was really just trying to let the OP know

8. trussmonkey

trussmonkey dizzy

Oddometer:
    Take more fuel, and some extra fuel, and fuel filters inline clear jobs to see what mess you get in some servos( standard fare even in city), and some extra fuel.
    Find a sheep along the way and skin it... It'll save your a..
    I have a horse saddle single seat, good for 8hrs, but some extra plushness is always welcome.
    Don't ride at night in the centre.
  9. Bruz

Bruz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gidday All. Just planning a very civilised road trip in early Jan 2015. Leaving south NSW and heading down to SA. Just on blacktop but avoid all the highways do a loop and come back. Probably divert to tassie for a few days. Know it well. Staying in camping grounds/pubs but not planning on spending much time in the tent. Looking for one or two ride buddies if anyone is interested at this time. Pretty flexible on the plan. Don't need a Dualsport for this one. Drop me a line if your interested.

Sent from my iPad with ifumbs using Tapatalk