DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like something more that just the vent hose. I have been running this tank and vent hose set for 3 seasons and this is the first time that I am getting the overwhelming gas smell.

Smells like I when I forgot to turn off the petcock with a full tank of gas, and the carb bowl overflowed.
  2. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for that, I want as deep as tread as possible for longer wear. I'm also looking at the Shinko 244 rear in 4.6x18 trying to find width info on that one as well.
  3. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mounted a 4.6" 244 recently myself. It measures 4-1/2" across the knobs and 3-7/8" across the casing with about 24 psi on a stock 98SE rear rim.
  4. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:
    get an xt225 and put a 16tooth on the front for the ride to and from the woods. Try the woods with the 16 tho', its very capable in most situations. The xt runs about 10mph faster than the tw and a great lil woods bike. It'll pull wheelies on you all day unless you put the 16 on it...then only if you WANT to.
  5. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I've got a friend that just got an "08 XT250. It's got an odd little carb, but he just took it to NM and rode it on jeep trails up to 9k ft with no rejetting. It's fun to ride around town, too.
  6. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, so it looks like the Shinko 4.6" is a true 4.6" wide, unlike the Kenda K270 4.6 rear which is quite a bit narrower than the Kenda K270 4.5 for some reason, logic would suggest is should be 4.6" across but its not.
  7. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably harkens back to the old way of sizing tires....in the olden days a 3.00 or 3.50 tire was aspect ratio of 100, and the number was the size in inches. When they introduced "low profile" tires (ie. 80 or 90 aspect ratio), they added 0.1 to the size to indicate the low profile version of that size (ie. a 4.10 tire was a low profile 4.00" tire, and a 4.6 would be a low profile 4.5" tire)....

Can't say for sure that this works anymore, but it seems to me that Kenda is trying something similar.
  8. hennikerjd

hennikerjd I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer:
    Maybe some re-formulated gasoline? I know mine stinks a whole lot less when I buy the non-ethanol gas from the generic station than gas from one of the big companies. :dunno

Or maybe a leak, not big enough to drip but enough to seep out, vaporize and make a big stink.
  9. CurbTiger

CurbTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been running the 244 4.6 for the last 3k-3.5k miles. Have no complaints at all. Looking like I'm gonna get 5k-6k mikes outta it. Mileage has been mostly slab with some gravel roads. Some rainy slab days. Tire seems predictable in the wet.
    Admittedly, my context for knobby tires is this and I haven't gotten even close to the performance limits of the bike. Anywho..
    Smaller tire overall means more go for the bike. Maybe if you were doing big rocks n drops n such bigger would be better.

NE
  10. lakser

lakser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pulled my plug tonight because my engine is running hot
    thing is completely black.
    [​IMG]

any advise on the best way to enrich my fuel mixture, to prevent this is appreciated.
    some of this stuff is new to me if you couldn't tell already.

I want to avoid taking the carburetor apart but I am pretty sure that has to happen if I want to fix this
  11. dav_dman

Oddometer:
    i like the xt250 but its heavier and 5spd where the 225 is a 6spd and whole lot cheaper. Cheap is important because if you dont like it you might hafta sell it.

I like my dr350 but i like my xt225 a LOT with the upgraded suspension.
  12. Royce Cochran

Oddometer:
    First, get a new plug. Then make a full throttle run and kill the bike and coast to a stop. Then pull the plug and take a look. black is rich...white is lean....light brown is about right. Rich needs a smaller main jet. Lean needs a bigger main jet. It's not quite that simple because there are a lot of other variables, but if every thing else is right this will, at least give a place to start. Lots of info on the internet on how to read spark plug color and how to jet a MC carb.
  13. dav_dman

Oddometer:
    looks pig rich already. Is the heat range of the plug correct?
  14. Royce Cochran

Oddometer:
    I looked real hard at the WR250R before I got the DR350. Not sure I want to mess with power comanders and do my fuel system adjustments with a lap top.
  15. lakser

lakser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maybe I am confused I thought if the the engine was hot, the mixture is to lean?
    The spark plug is the correct model.
  16. CurbTiger

CurbTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A sooty black plug means a rich mixture. Chalky white is a problem.
    Motoring around town usually results a darker plug than when running on the highway.
    Why do you think it's running hot?

NE
  17. Royce Cochran

Oddometer:
    A lean condition can cause the motor to run hot and do damage to mutiple internal parts...But a black plug can indicate a rich mixture. But you have to do the test correctly. Idleing with the choke on or many other combinations of throttle openings may not be a good indication fuel mixture by plug color. Most of us do not have exhaust gas anylizers or dynos, so we have to use the tools we have. Sound, smell, throttle response, plug color, eyes watering, taste, and whatever you got. But the best plan is to use the OEM specs to set things up right and make small changes from there. It's really hard to out smart the guys at the factory. Even if a lot of people THINK they can.
  18. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    So my float bowl is draining. If it turn on the gas I can see the gas chug through the lines. Why would it drain. Where would it drain. Never did this before. There is no visible dripping. Maybe I will check again right after I shut it off with a flash light for drips.
  19. Royce Cochran

Oddometer:
    Check your oil. It might be going into the crank case via intake....valves....past the piston rings.
  20. hennikerjd

hennikerjd I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer:
    The usual culprits for the "why" part of your question - debris on the float needle or seat, worn out float needle, stuck float, float compromised and turned into a sinker...

The "where" as previously stated would be into your engine if it wasn't making a puddle on the floor out the overflow tube.