Northern VA Chatter Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by HBN, Feb 18, 2010.

1. ytckzgn

ytckzgn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bike count was 247 and we would like to have this event every 1st sun of the month. Location might change according to feedback but at the moment next one will be the same place and more classics to come :clap
  2. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    now I have an excuse to fix up my CB360
  3. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the event, great idea and great turnout for sure
  4. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. BubbasDucati

BubbasDucati Very new nOOb

Oddometer:
    been working to much to ride, but got the week off. Had the bike serviced for its 600 mile check up (600 miles late) and had a pool of oil after the ride home..
    The guys sent a truck to pick it up.. get it fixed and send it back.. awesome.
    Any one want to go ride tomorrow, if the bike is back?
  6. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just figured out how to use Garmin's Basecamp program and I created a couple of routes in the Dunkle Hollow area near Harrisonburg. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you the gpx files.
  7. BubbasDucati

BubbasDucati Very new nOOb

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on routes from Winchester to Alexandria.. have rode both 50 and 7, last night, but would like to try dirt for a bit.
  8. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
  9. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite areas to ride around. What roads did you route? If you're not doing anything Memorial day weekend, you should come and hang out with us at THIS little shin-dig! :deal Base camp for this event is about a 20 minute ride to the beginning of Dunkle hollow! :D
  10. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got two routes up there. Both start out on Flagpole Knob. Once splits to Dunkle Hollow and the other to Union Springs Hollow. I don't have much riding experience up that way. Many years ago, I hunted in that area and also hung out at Flagpole Knob with a ham radio group. I rode the Shenandoah 500 a few years back and hit DUnkle Hollow. I haven't ridden there in a while but only because I just don't have a lot of time. When I got a new GPS, I figured it was time to learn Basecamp and the first thing I did was to figure out a route in and out of that area. I honestly don't know if my routes hit the best spots but from my memory of the area, I think it should be pretty good.
  11. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    MVUM:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/maps-pubs/?cid=fsbdev3_000547

Don't forget to save this to your phone or print off the pages. Knowing where certain gates are locked can be an asset when compared with topo and GPS. That area can be confusing if you aren't paying attention but most of the legal downhill routes will take you back to the valley. Unless you are Skipiii...:evil
  12. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Whatever road you take in that area, you won't be disappointed. Union Springs is fun; just be sure to be on an appropriate bike, there are a few tricky spots. :deal
  13. davyjones

davyjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Missed last years, but made the previous two and will be there for sure on this one. Maybe have a meet up and ride there as a group.....
  14. fragile_this_side_up

fragile_this_side_up Long timer

Oddometer:
    spotted: Steelb12 heading west on 66 at 8:30 this morning.
  15. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know where he's going. :evil
  16. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having a hell of a time getting there. Bike keeps cutting out, acting like its out of gas. Very annoying. Ran fine yesterday.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
  17. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where you at? PM me if you want to troubleshoot.
    703-795-7005

Sounds like a petcock issue. inspect your lines to the petcock and try swapping to reserve to see if the crud is in the main petcock circuit or elsewhere.

Try opening the gas cap in case you have a vapor lock condition leading to fuel starvation from pressure in the tank.

See if it only occurs at speed or if it won't idle on its own. It may be a clogged jet then.

Apply the choke to see if it may be a mixture or running issue. If you can screw with the choke while riding, see if that improves the condition. It may be a way to limp along or help diagnose if it is running lean then cutting out or running rich and cutting out.

Inspect plug.
  18. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, didn't mean to jinx you. I hope it's something simple. HBN's got you covered. Got tools with you?
  19. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. fragile_this_side_up

fragile_this_side_up Long timer

Oddometer:
    times like these i love fuel injection.