Crown Vic CVPI+cool cop cars

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by STROMVADER, Dec 3, 2011.

1. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do any of the ADV folk out there have an old cop car, specifically Crown Vics? This thread can be for cool cop car pics too! I've always owned pickups, suvs, Jeeps etc.. Growing up watching the Dukes of Hazzard and Smokey and The Bandit, I've always wanted a RWD car. Just good ole American muscle. I'd love to have a Vette or a Mustang, but they can be pricey and I want something with a frame. I don't wan't to spend a lot of money either.

Lately I've been perusing the web researching Crown Vic Police Interceptors, checking craigslist, etc..I don't mind a four door and I like the way they look. Some come with the spotlight, wig wag lights, push bars, kevlar.. The main reason I like them so are the following reasons:
    -4.6L V8
    -body on frame construction (full frame)
    -heavy duty suspension
    -decent HP
    -high output alternator
    -decent MPG for a V8
    -affordable
    -fleet maintained
    -reliable
    -RWD

I'm trying to find one with +/-100k. They're plenty of them out there, I just want to find the right one. So if anyone has one, let me know the good/bad and post some pics. I want one like this:
    [​IMG]

Not like this:
    [​IMG]

STROMVADER
  2. fuelish

fuelish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try state auctions. My Dad had a retired FBI Vic(1991 model) that he picked up at auction. It had the police/taxi package with heavy duty everything, extra oil coolers and silicone hoses, big anti-sway bars. He put about 200,000 on it, great car.
  3. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea!:happay I didn't even think about that. I saw one on CL that was clapped out, but still ran with 345k. I would love to have a retired Charger:
    [​IMG]
  4. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll take one
    [​IMG]
  5. Casticus

Casticus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I got promoted my last job was fleet manager for our PD...You want to find a retired CVPI up for auction from a Sheriff or State Department. Their vehicles turn mileage fast and get auctioned off sooner (vehicle will be "newer") that and the ones we are done with have truly been put through the wringer.
  6. andruboz

andruboz Serial overfiller

Oddometer:
    my local ford dealer has 2010 mercury grand marquis program cars with 20-30k on them for $13k. not quite crown vic cool but they haven't had the snot beat out of them unless they were rentals..
  7. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I drove cab one of my favorite cars was a retired Dodge Diplomat cop car.
    The company had a couple civilian versions too, the cop car had a stronger motor, heavy duty suspension (I rarely slowed down for speed bumps, the car just didn't feel them), posi-trac and a calibrated speedometer.

I wanted to buy that car when I quit driving cab.
  8. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    Owned a retired Fire dept Crown Vic for a couple years. It was a great car. I bought it with 170 K miles and sold it for more than I paid for it with 225K on the odometer.

I usually averaged 20 MPG as well, Not bad for a car that size
  9. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of car for the money.
  10. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    I've toyed with the idea as a tow car for our Teardrop, but the wife would not let me pull the trigger on one. Since parking is limited at our place, I understand her issues.

"It's got a cop motor, a Four-Forty Cubic Inch motor, it's pre-catalytic converter, so it runs good on regular gas, it's got cop shocks, cop brakes, cop suspension...."

I suspect that the PICV is about as good a built car as can be done given it's length of production they must have worked out the bugs.

Roomy interior would be nice too. "And look at that trunk, you could fit two, three bodies in there, easy!"
  11. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:

You can fit up to five bodies in there depending how you cut them up :evil
  12. fuelish

fuelish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once, in the Vic, I flashed my high beams at a slow moving car to get them to move right and they pulled off and stopped. :)
  13. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    My friend had one that hauled ass when I was in my teens. It drifted sweet in the snow and could be steered with an infants pinky finger. Bulletproof as well. I've seen a couple of old Diplomats at car shows. For some reason, I love that body style. I really like this one:
    [​IMG]
  14. Mr Bags

Mr Bags Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome link Mr. Bags! Thanks!:clap:clap
  16. gravel road

gravel road Hunt/Fish/Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2003 CVPI 2 months ago. So far, so good. It needs a little TLC but I'm using it for my daily driver and it hasn't let me down yet. Averaging 20-21 MPG. The cops always wave :lol3
  17. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good to here! Pretty decent MPG for such a big car. From videos I've seen, people get out of the way when driving the tollways.:poser
  18. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    What you really want is one used for training, flogged mechanically, but at least it's not full of body fluids. Or a fire dept car, I wouldn't touch a cop car for anything...yuck.
  19. Kubla

Kubla Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have owned 5 old police cars, 86 and 87 crown vic. 81 diplomat, 84 impala and the last, a 94 caprice classic, which was the fastest of the lot

would like another diplomat, but with a more powerful engine
  20. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plastic interior+disinfectant.:deal Those are good germs. I'm sure other used vehicles have been exposed to puked/blood/fuck juice.