Does this redlight changer work?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CloudchaserSakonige, May 9, 2011.

1. CloudchaserSakonige

CloudchaserSakonige Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Tacoma

Tacoma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    magnets hanging under the scooter don't work.
    you have to contact your local Police and tell them the location of the red light isn't sencing your scooter, they can adjust it to corect that problem.
    the 2 buried lines you see in the road at the light, these 2 wires put out a magnetic field that sences the metal of your scooter, since you scooter is light on metal it can be adjusted to be more sensitive.
    many state laws allow you to proceed on a red light when the light is malfuctioning, just contact the local police and tell them the problem and they will understand, happens all the time around my area and just one complaint corrects the problem.
  3. CloudchaserSakonige

Oddometer:
    Thanx :-) I suspected that it might not work, but wanted to hear from others. I'll send a message to my local Public Works on the ones that don't work for me (some of them do work for me). My home state of Tennessee does have a law saying that bikes can go right on red after staying stopped long enough to give it a chance.
  4. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine swears that shutting off the scoot and restarting it works better than any other method for getting a red light to change. Don't know if there is any truth to it or not.
  5. Twisted Martini

Twisted Martini Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt it, but who knows? I'll also contact my local police to see about certain lights. Most are fine, but some of those left turns where a car only comes every few minutes just suck.
  7. Tacoma

Tacoma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since there are an increasing number of motorcycles and scooters on the roads as the weather turns warmer, the local Police, or road authority understands this. they don't want to make them more sensitive cause a rain storm, or a rabbit running arcoss the road may trip the light.
    In my area once they even had a guy bring his motorcycle to the intersection to test and adjust it with his bike being there.

The 2 lines buried in the road put out a magnetic field, when that magnetic field contacts the metal of a car, or bike, it screws up the field and that change trips the light.
    some guys claim they throw their kickstand down on top of the wires will trip it, but I do know someone that hung magnets under his bike that had NO effect.
    in my opinion those aftermarket items are a rip off, they don't work
  8. SPOFF

SPOFF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Theoretically the magnetic field set off by the stater motor could be enough to trigger the inductive loop under the street. But that may be farfetched. My 725 lb Valkyrie always triggers a light. My 425 lb Kawasaki KLR almost never does. I've heard deploying the side stand and resting it on the wire works, but I think that's a biker's legend as well. :lol3

If I was going to try a magnet, I might try an electromagnet. Basically string a big loop the under the floorboard of a scooter. It would be the act of turning the magnet on and off that would affect the ground sensor. But I'm not sure it would work.
  9. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    I m guess your paying 20 bucks for a big magnet. Any magnet should do that. Also sticking your side stand on the sensor sometimes works. Sticking a magnet of any type on your bike should also work. I
  10. CloudchaserSakonige

Oddometer:
    Thanx for all of your replies and advice! :-)

I did once try sticking what figure out to a total of 5.76 cubic centimeters of rare earth magnets to the underside of my scooter and that had no effect. So though the magnets offered at the link in my OP is probably bigger, I'm understandably skeptical.
  11. JPSpen

JPSpen At Large

Oddometer:
    Tear open a couple of old hard drives.. Get the magnets out of them..

Glue them to the toe of your boot..

When you're stopped.. Wave those magnets over the wire loop a couple of times...

It will trigger the light...If you have steel toed boots.. No glue needed..

John
  12. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    now that the best way I ve heard of doing it it. simple.
  13. CloudchaserSakonige

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's a good idea! Thanx for the tip! I already have some small rare earth magnets and I wear steel toe boots so I can try that right away :-)