Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty comfortable (as long as there's no swell in the harbour, eh?).
  2. Splendidtutional

Splendidtutional What does that mean?

Oddometer:
    I've been living in DC for just over a year now and I think I kind of like it. If you want any suggestions on where to stay or things to do, just hit me up over pm, I check here regularly. I'd offer you a place to sleep, but I think the wife would frown on letting some stranger over the internet sleep on the couch. Sorry.

Joe
  3. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like NY, I'd been to DC before and had seen all the 'sites', so don't expect much in the way of me being a tour guide. I contemplated driving down the path to the Lincoln monument, but security is just a little tight around these parts.

[​IMG]

While pulling up to get a pic of my bike with a sliver of the White House behind, a mtn bike cop came down on me as if I was preparing to steal the last of the precincts donuts. Not sure why they were guarding the curb, but ok.

[​IMG]

Did finally manage to find a spot where I could get a pic of the 1199 in front of the White House (it's way there in the background):

[​IMG]

Far easier to get a shot of myself:

[​IMG]

Would have loved to get a shot of the bike in front of this guy, but didn't want to wake him up:

[​IMG]

Driving around DC was awesome--by far the easiest, most traffic-free metro experience I've had the entire trip. Course it was late-afternoon on a Sunday, but none-the-less I enjoyed blasting up and down the streets shaking windows and setting off alarms.
    duhrider likes this.
  4. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    My hats off to ya riding that bike that far...............I could'nt do it but I would like to try it on my Connie:clap
  5. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had intended to stay in/around the MD/DC area for about a week. But the urge to get back out on the road and move struck me, so off I went.

And it didn't take long for the scenery to get beautiful quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yes--hit the 10,000 mile mark!!!!

[​IMG]

And for the first time in my life I actually experienced what fall colors were all about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  6. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    By nightfall I had made it to my new home (of all places, a horse ranch).

[​IMG]
  7. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eye candy....after work I took off for a ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Pics speak for themselves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  8. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could have spent hours on Blue Ridge Parkway. Serious fun. Light traffic, no police and the road offers enough technical sections to keep you busy and several miles of long fast sweepers. Hard to concentrate on riding while constantly thinking about where I could stop for some great pictures.
  11. ValuePack

ValuePack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Positively stellar RR, sir. I've read it all and am inspired on many levels.

I'm in.
  12. John Nash

John Nash Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    Glad your enjoying the fall colours in MD & VA on the BRP. Your photographs are spectacular. The weather here has been warm for this time of year hitting almost 80F today and tomorrow. I ride the BRP every April from top to bottom when there are few cars.Were you on Skyline Drive? Its north of the BRP on the same ridgeline. Its a little more challenging road.. 105 miles top to bottom..just watch for deer though! Supermodel is looking fine also.Checkout the "duckpond" in Winchester, VA if you have time.Weather is going to be good here until Sunday.
  13. livewire

livewire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WTF with the UFO dudes in the 6th & the last picture?:huh
  14. Crashburndie

Crashburndie Adventurer

Oddometer:

is that a teletubby on the left? WTF???
  15. nicola_a

nicola_a Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Geez guys -- sense of humour much? :rofl
    :D
  16. 65bmwr50

65bmwr50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would highly recommend VA56 from Vesuvius to Piney River. It is probably one of the twistiest, technical roads in Central VA. Enjoying the report.
  17. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha ha...was wondering when someone would catch those. Just my way of making nature photography a little less mundane. ;)

65bmwr50 - I did take 56 from Vesuvius (by the church with the incredible backdrop) up to the BRP. Didn't take it as far as a lake, though. But it was extremely technical--loved it.

John Nash - I wasn't on Skyline, but now that I see it on a map I think I'll have to pay a visit. :)
  18. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Anti- Skyline is worth doing 1x on a bike, but you'll be crazy bored with the 35mph limit within about 10mi, but there are gazillions of amazing views so your camera finger will get a good workout.
  19. Splendidtutional

Splendidtutional What does that mean?

Oddometer:
    I see how it is... just interested in folks like Dr. J who can put you up in a boat for a week. Kidding :D

Weather here has been great and the colors are incredible right now.
    I was at the Ghana Cafe about a week ago and I think the same guy was passed out in that bus station... DC fun fact, IIRC, DC has the highest per capita homeless population in the US. Go Nations Capitol.
    Just know that DC any time other than quiet Sunday evenings has some of the most horrific traffic I have ever seen. And the people who drive here must ahve been taught by phychotic monkeys.

Enjoy the ride!
    jaketheone46 likes this.
  20. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stellar pictures in these last few posts :clap

You're gettin' down to my neck of the woods. I can only imagine how much fun it is to ride the BRP on your Italian steed.