New Pelican-based Luggage System

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CaribouCases, Oct 28, 2005.

1. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    the racks are already on the bike but the cans aren't. i'll just try to measure befor i buy the cans. i think most are smaller than stock so it'll probably be fine.
    scott

2. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    Scott, If it helps, I had a set of Two Brothers Racing cans (oval shaped), on my '05 DL 1000 with the Caribou System racks and there was plenty of clearance. I got rid of the Two Brothers cans as they were way too freakin loud, though. :D

I wouldn't give up my Caribou System for anything. Good, tough stuff.
  3. NevadaTex

NevadaTex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, Roger,
    I own a 1981 (first year) BMW R80 g/s and need some side cases. I saw way back in this thread that you had a set up for a R100 gs, and since the R100 gs is in the same lineage as the R80 g/s, I was wondering if you have heard of anyone using the R100 gs setup on an R80 g/s?

I have been told that there are some (not so) subtle differences in the rear subframes between the two bikes, so, even though I am hopeful of a simple bolt-on operation to my R80 g/s, I am very doubtful that it'll work. I'm never that lucky, but it can't hurt to ask, can it?

Please say it will work and then take my money!

Steve
  4. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    Tex, I have an idea, you sell me your R80GS and I'll make a luggage system for it! Seriously, I don't think the R100GS system fits the earlier bikes. I am in the market for an R80GS though, or a nice R100GS 1990 or older:D

If you want to go through the trouble, you pay shipping and I'll send you the brackets and you can see if they will fit, promising of course to send everything back if it doesn't fit:deal .
  5. Behindbars

Behindbars Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Roger, this is Brian who ordered the DL1000 system and I have the Remus exhaust. I am working out in middle of nowhere and my internet connection is horrible. The Remus cans are oval. I will give you a call Thur. and we can talk. Thanks.
  6. NevadaTex

NevadaTex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, Roger,
    How about I swap you my g/s for 49% ownership in Caribou Cases? :lol3

Actually, you wouldn't be interested in my bike. It came with the PD tank, NOS original blue tank w/ the decals, NOS front fender to match and an extra set of heads with the larger valves. Like I say, not something you'd wanna sully your garage with.

Meanwhile....back on topic...any idea of how much the shipping would be on the racks? How much do they weigh? If the mounting points are even close, I have a friend with a welder and I have a grinder and maybe I could make it work. Obviously, if I grind on the racks, I have to buy them.

Alternatively, do you have a more detailed set of photos of how the racks mount to the R100 GS, just so I can get an idea of how different it is from what I need?

Or, if this is too much trouble, just say so. I realize you have a business to run and farting around with some old coot who has a 26 yr old bike ain't gonna generate much profit.

Thanks,

Steve
  7. madmanxwater

madmanxwater Just Ride It!

Oddometer:
    Hi Roger, can you tell us what the status of the 2008 KLR650 system is please?

Thanks very much,

Mike
  8. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Steve, Shipping will be about $10 each way, and I can send you the install instructions if you PM me with your email. The complete R100GS system is $695.
  9. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    The 2008 KLR system is in production, actually in welding. I hope to get them into powder coat next week. We are a bit behind on this, but it is moving along.
  10. versite

versite sticky side down

Oddometer:
    Versys next, right? :) Please see this: http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/product.asp?Id=3400A8FB008&S=500 UK Kawa finally has information on their GIVI mounts with actual rails and plates and things for sale; could your system be mounted or adapted to those? Or perhaps they would provide a good template to style something off of. Bonus! i recall reading that with the official kawa mounts, you get to choose either side, or top, but not both; which is confusing, as i've seen pictures of both, with top case and two size bags; i'd be endlessly happy (well, moderately please :>) with pelican side cases :} thanx!
  11. John Harden

John Harden Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will this work? Are you interested in making an adapter of some sort? I have the ORM racks on my 07 Adventure along with the OEM, aluminum side and top cases. I'm interested in fitting some quick disconnect Pelican cases for off roading where the bike may take a tumble and damage or destroy the spendy OEM cases.

I'd rather not modify the stock racks too much as I'd like to be able to quickly change back and forth between the two types of cases when needed.

Any options in the works for us?

Regards,

John
  12. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Next is the KTM 990. We'll see how the Versys does in the market. I don't know if folks are going to tour on it.

EDIT 2009: The side luggage system for the Versys is now available, please see our website for details.
  13. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately this won't work. And, those BMW racks are plastic, on the 1150GS and 1200GS they are anyway. We like steel.
  14. John Harden

John Harden Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I think my wording may have been a bit confusing. When I say "rack", I'm referring to the stainless steel OEM side and top mounts for the OEM cases. They are tubular steel, very heavy duty (crash tested by me) and wrap around the bike.

You may have been thinking about the plastic rack that is under the passenger pillion and extends out behind it.

I'm talking about the OEM pannier rack system BMW makes for the 1200 Adventure. Many dealers order their bikes with these racks installed from the factory. My local dealer orders them all that way. The Happy Trails panniers will bolt right up to them giving us some options. I think a lot of dealers order the racks as they also serve as good side protection for the rear of the bike.

Hope this makes it more clear.

Regards,

John
  15. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

Our quick attach/release system will not fit the steel OEM rack either. But, you can probably DIY bolt a pair of our cases onto the OEM rack with an L-bracket grabbing the bottom of the hoop and two knob-bolts through the back of the case to the top of the hoop, or something like that.
  16. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Its the chicken and egg problem. We can tour on it when we get some luggage. If you wait till someone tours with it, it will be with someone else's luggage. Just watch sales if you can. I don't know where to get that kind of information, but I would suspect a certain percentage would want your product. How many would you have to sell to make it worth your while?
  17. versite

versite sticky side down

Oddometer:
    i dare say, at least two would get sold :) if you make it, they will come. kawasaki will have the only other offering, and their offering is ... silly. some other companies have left the market before starting. i want frame mushrooms. R&G isn't going to sell any. that leaves few choices.
  18. hawaii-rider

hawaii-rider Go ahead, U pick

Oddometer:
    Roger:

Crazy guy up in Washington that talked on the phone on the KTM set (990)
    :huh

I have cancelled all of my HB luggage and racks from KTM that were on order to get your Caribou system, so you at least have a set sold here....
    I know you were hoping for 1st part of October to get a bike in to take measurements and 6-8 weeks for production and shipping....

Cant wait!

thanx so much for supporting the Pumpkins!
    :clap

HR
  19. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey. A few questions:
    1. Is it possible to get one set of cases (3) to mount on my KLR 650 and my KTM 950. I visited your site and could not find a KTM specific rack, are you planning on making one of these?

2. I like to keep my camp fuel and WD40 outside the boxes for obvious reasons. Is it possible to drill through the cases without comprising the strength of the box?
  20. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Hello,

The cases will fit both the KLR 650 and the KTM 990, if that's the KTM you are referring to. We don't have a system for the KTM 640.