Another noob goes racing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by CramerTV, Jan 6, 2011.

1. CramerTV

CramerTV Still eating dust

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip! I'll do that in a minute.

LOL. Good one. I would be astounded if I ever actually won one race let alone 3! I'm just happy to be out there jockeying for position - even if that position is last place. At least I'm racing!
  2. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    Another alternative is to have yourself bumped to novice, you can try a two loop race, and if it dosen't work out you can run red #'s, do one loop and get 70% points.

Let me caution you, be careful what you wish for. You would be wise to run a few races before diving into the deep end, and then I would suggest trying a Desert Scrambles where you run the same loop twice. Hare and Hounds can be downright discouraging (and hazardous to your health) if you are not ready for it.

BTW, I had an alright day on Sunday. 25th OA and 2nd Mag Expert. I was running 1st for the first few miles, but stopped for a downed rider and lost some time, then I hit a square edge wash and jammed the shit out of my thumb. It was fun trying to hang on for the next 60 or so miles, it's still pretty swollen.
  3. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:

yer freakin awesome, Mikey..... congrats on a second!

:clap

damm you did way better than me. I had to stop the bike and suck wind for ten minutes after TWO miles.

:lol3

I did get second on my very first start though...

:flug

stopping to breathe didnt help my position much...

:dunno

anyways, glad you had fun!! Cant wait to meet ya out there in a couple weeks! there are a few more ADV guys that are just about to start racing as well....

OH and listen to Mike!!! He KNOWS what he is talking about. i haven't gotten to doing two loops yet....I might just be a huge pussy but the second loop is usually A LOT harder.

I think if i rode every week, i would be able to do it.... maybe I need to do that....
  4. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a plan once I have a few more races and perhaps even a full year under my belt. I'm not so much worried about the points as I am having a full day of challenging and fun riding.

I've heard about those second loops - I think I'll need a lighter bike before trying that. My 300lb 690 is a drag to pick up more than once or twice a day. ;)

That's awesome. I hope I'm still out there racing once I'm eligible for the Mag class. Sorry about your thumb though.

I hope to get to meet you out there sometime. I'm going back and forth on this weekend's enduro. I need to do a little more suspension tuning but the desire to race may overcome my (or my lack of) good sense and I may turn up in Johnson Valley Sunday morning. I need to read up and learn how to not disqualify myself in an enduro.
  5. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't that have been something if you had won your very first race?! Nice going! By the way, nice thread. I've read most of it - haven't watched the videos yet though.

Yeah - it was a blast! I am still psyched about it. I'm trying to get one of my riding buddies to come out for one of the races soon. He's never raced desert before either.

I am looking forward to meeting you as well. I'm suspect we'll line up on the same row sometime this year once your foot heals up.
  6. MotoMike

Oddometer:
    Definitely look me up. Look for the pink and green flags, or ask someone where the Lost Coyotes are camped. And I don't use the motomike handle out there, so you're not going to find me that way.

As for the enduro, when you sign up request to be put on a row with someone that knows what they are doing, and then follow him. Do not pass the guy with the clock! You get DQed if you are 15 minutes early to a check, or an hour or more late ("houring out"). This year they are having a Family Enduro on Saturday before all the races, they are an opportunity to learn the ropes in a less stressful environment.
  7. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    I will look you up next time. I was thinking about doing the Saturday thing but my wife said she would like to go look at houses Saturday so I guess I'll go out Sunday a little clueless but hopeful for being able to finish without a DQ. ;)

Thanks for all the info - it's great having folks that look out for and help newbies! I hope I can do the same thing once I get more experience.
  8. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Mike is easy to find - he's the second loudest guy in the desert. He'll be standing next to the loudest guy in the desert that goes by the name of John.

9. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    it was a national.... I wasnt winning ANYthing. I did come in 3rd in class but it was 320th Over All!!

10. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. :lurk

Good luck, Noob! You're in for a good time! :evil
  11. eatpasta

Oddometer:

yeah... show him your hillclimb movie

12. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    I love a good movie :lurk
  13. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, actually, Luke found it, but I'm in it. I'm just glad I'm not the *star* of this one, :lol3 I only have about a 30 second cameo at the beginning and somehow managed to avoid the worst of the mayhem that followed me up that hill. :evil I'm on the blue Husaberg #351 that squeaks by on the right. But watch as the carnage unfolds ... I heard it was bad, but I had no idea until I saw this vid. It may not look it from the video, but that hill was pretty darn steep, and then covered with a couple inches of that very fine, slick silt.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14668910#post14668910
  14. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    Wow. That was crazy! Nice that that guy stayed there and recorded the whole thing.

I also liked your write up on Raines racing. I need that kind of instruction!
  15. eatpasta

Oddometer:

oh they dont want taht link crap.... they just want the movie

watch for this freakin guy on the Husaberg right at beginning #351

this is the epitome of weekend warrior dirtbike racers. I still laugh myself silly watching this

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EL2oH-TjpXA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EL2oH-TjpXA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  16. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    I finished 77/108 overall and 5/8 in class. The guy I passed right at the end was in my class so that pass was for position! Amazing. I'm glad he missed that turn :)
  17. MotoMike

Oddometer:
    So when is your next race?
  18. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
  19. CramerTV

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to come out to the enduro this weekend after all. I just got back from 3 bros with my new rear fender, tail light and blinkers.

With regard to the overall ranking - how do I know how many started on which row? Since there is very little chance I could catch up with the first row it's almost like it was a separate race.
  20. eatpasta

Oddometer:

:nod

thats why how you finish in your class is so important