R1150GS opinion please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kaengurooo, Nov 8, 2014.

1. kaengurooo

kaengurooo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    I'm not 100% but I think only the Adventure came with the blue fork tubes. Maybe it's had a front end prang? Have a good look at the telelever mounts and the front of the frame.

It could be a good deal, just be cautious.

Not saying the dealer isn't telling the full story.......:augie
  3. lout

lout AYCIC

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure it was the rims that were a different colour not the stanchions.
  4. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    The statement is that it's an adventure touring bike, not an GS Adventure, it's listed correctly. The standard 1150 GS had very high first and top gears, I much preferred the 1100GS or the better equipped and more suitably geared 1150 GSA.

First model (colour) GS Adventure.

[​IMG]
  5. Perthite

Perthite roo waker upper

Oddometer:
    lots knowledgeable folks here! :D
  6. BisonR1150

BisonR1150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a rip off... way too many kilometers for that price and the condition is terrible . Alot of pitting and the clear coat worn off everywhere. The shop would of been lucky to pay $5k on a trade in. I'd be staying well clear of that bike . There's gotta be better than that around.
    Last year my 2002 adv model was $9k with just under 19,000 km . Prices have seemed to have gone up a bit since I bought mine.

On the ADV model the forks and rocker covers were the dark blue and the rims turn a faded purple and the tele lever is black.

your price range, similar km's but in Melbourne It has the tall seat so you would want to be around 6ft tall. Mine has the low seat I'm 5"8 and have tippy toes on the ground sitting on the bike.
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/essendon/motorcycles/bmw-r-1150-gs-adventurer-2002/1050121975

the only bad point of the ADV model is in top gear the rpm is high, around 4500rpm at 120kph. The 1200 adv's are the same . I would of thought BMW could of geared the top end better .
  7. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
  8. kaengurooo

kaengurooo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input guys,
    see, that's why there a forums for :D to just get the bit more info!
    Cheers!
  9. HairyLeg

HairyLeg What a wonderful philosophy you have.

Oddometer:
    It has Ohlins on the rear, which is a good thing.
    It has a set of instruments off a different bike, so you have no idea what the real kms are, which is a bad thing.
  10. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLAUS...... DON'T DO IT!!!!!

I will call or PM you.
  11. Rick001

Rick001 Never too old

Oddometer:
    Looking at the photo's, the dash is wrong, and the whole front end looks too "new' compared to the rest of the bike.

In my opinion ( and I may be wrong - wouldn't be the first time) it has had the whole front of the bike (front end tank etc) replaced.

Be very careful.... You don't know what may have been bent/broken.
    Just my 2c worth
  12. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, there do seem to be quite a few "inconsistencies" with the bike.... not to mention the dealership that is selling it (I have had a seriously bad experience with them and will NEVER set foot in that place again. :eek1

Klaus, I have sent you a PM mate, and we need to catch up for a ride again.... it has been a long time. :D

I have just bought a "loaded" DR650 and am keen to do some dirt, the Wombeyan/Belanglo areas would be good, I've not done them before, you could show me around the area maybe. :wink:

:freaky
    Ock.
  13. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Run away and don't look back!!

Keep looking.

Traded for 5K, more like 3!!
  14. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the so called features of the bike are wrong too, I don't recall mine having "switchable ABS", mine was on all the time, only the later ones could be switched on/off as far as I know.

When I bought mine the ABS wasn't working, $5,500 fix, fortunately I managed to make Worthingtons fix it as they sold me the bike.
    I did spend a further $6k in repairs and maintenance in the 12 months I owned that B.ig M.oney W.aster.
    Was glad to see the arse end of it ultimately, and it has put me right off owning any BMW again.

The dealer who has the bike in this link above is the one who traded my 1150GS in on a brand new Wee-Strom, then wouldn't back up his workshop by fixing what they stuffed up when fitting some accessories I ordered to be fitted prior to me taking delivery of the brand new bike (the extras were supplied and fitted by their workshop, all paid for by me as extras on top of the purchase price).

There are better bikes and better deals out there Klaus.
  15. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    My 2003 GSA is a great bike, but it does not look like this one! Dash looks like it is from another bike. I would be very afraid...

Classic Velocity
    Classic Bikes, Classic Cars, Classic Commentary
    www.classicvelocity.com
  16. Doctor

Doctor Banned

Oddometer:
    buy a KTM 1190R, sell ya kids , ya know ya want one :evil
  17. garjim

garjim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think that pic of the dash is a ring-in.... if you look at the 5th last pic the key tag is a different colour and it doesn’t have the plastic part with the ABS switch in it....not sure how they could get a wrong pic in there?
  18. ararat

ararat Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer:
    Auckland the land of the rain and clouds...
    Yep also ODO is different then below.
    But it seems there are better options out there.
    PM if you need to have a peak at the VIC one.
  19. Tiggs

Tiggs Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at the bike in the flesh so to speak. I reckon that the photo of the dash is exactly that, just a photo, incorrectly put in with this bike's advert. It reads 33,000km and is from a F650GS. I don't think the bike looks too bad overall! It's done 112,000km after all. The front end looks original IMO. ABS on those could be disabled holding the ABS button and turning the ignition off and on or was it on and off? Anyway not switchable like in the photo but as I said I reckon it's just an incorrect pic in with the others. Wouldn't hurt to ride it. You don't have to buy it.
  20. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    My 1100GS had switchable ABS and here is a pic taken from the ad (edit:which is not from an 1150GS) . You can see the switch on the subject bike above the cross bar. The engine had to be switched off at the key to switch the ABS off and would default to "on" when keyed off, then on again.

[​IMG]