Carrying extra fuel

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by OrcasKen, Jan 12, 2011.

1. OrcasKen

OrcasKen Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With the somewhat meager range of the F8, I'm looking into options for carrying fuel for a trip to Prudhoe Bay and/or Inuvik this summer. Here are options I've found by searching through here:
    1. Touratech tank - this should be enough fuel for virtually any ride. However, the primary downside is cost (buy it, paint it, install it) and to some degree, weight up high. For riders with only an occassional need for >200 mile range, this option seems like overkill.
    2. Rotopax containers - relatively inexpensive and flexible mounting options. I suppose the downside is the space it takes up on all the rides where you don't need to carry extra fuel.
    3. Best Rest Peg Packer - a bit more expensive than Rotopax with left/right and 1- or 2-gallon size choices. Potential downside of something to catch your foot on, but probably similar risk with panniers on. Also only for solo riders.
    4. Collabsible bladder tank - similar cost to the Best Rest with flexibility to mount anywhere solid. Good option for irregular use and can be stored away when not in use. Mounting is likely to be higher up on the bike for the first 50-100 miles until getting emptied into the tank.
    5. Stove fuel tanks - MSR/Primus/etc ~1-litre bottles filled with unleaded can provide double duty as stove fuel and emergency gas.
    6. Temporary throw-away solution - strapping a $5 fuel can to the bike for known short hops is the cheapest option.
    My ~3k ride this past summer had me wishing for extra fuel a couple of times, not so much from lack of range as passing up a gas station at 100+ miles thinking another would come along. :baldy

I'm curious as to what you use and why you like it or would prefer something different.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  2. oburrill

oburrill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, saw your post and just thought you may be interested in these from touratech (this is the UK version, so i'm not sure that they are available in the states).

3ltr petrol can (plastic) £10.86 - http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/...11040&osCsid=6a255e039a176237cd7a1b5c945f5840

fancy touratech holder for the above can £32.57 - http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/product_info.php?products_id=11041&session=true

Unsure if this helps, just another option thats all. Just found them recently and I thought that i would highlight it to people if it helps.
    I have a GS Adventure, so as yet petrol hasn't been an issue.
  3. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know guys using the Rotopax product, and they are quite pleased with it.
  4. Farmholio

Farmholio Smarmy Marmot

Oddometer:
    I've had the peg packer (2 ga) for a couple of years on my 800 and am happy with it. Its saved my bacon in several situations like you mentioned (passing a gas station and thinking that there will be another one coming up). It can be removed without too much trouble for trips where you don't need it but that can admittedly get a little old. The little clips that hold the pegs in don't like to be re-used all that many times and can get a little tricky to insert once you've used them a bit. I've not had any issues with my foot or leg hanging up on it but with my boxes off, it does stick out a bit and I've wondered how well it'd take a hit.

Never seen the rotopax in use but like the idea and the pictures I've seen with them mounted on the tops or backs of boxes. Seems pretty slick.
  5. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've done your research, but here's a little more to think about.

First, Rotopax doesn't take up any room on rides where you don't plan to need it because you can leave it at home. It's a nice, rugged compact container that's easy to find space for. You don't need to mount it, just strap it on when necessary.

Second, the cheeeepest option for the short hop is one or more used 2-liter PETE bottles. BYO funnel :wink:

Third, slow down a bit when you need to stretch your fuel.

Fourth, install the 17T front sprocket and watch your mpg increase on the long road runs.

Happy travels!
  6. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    I personally use the Roto Pax 1 gal. I mount it to the luggage rack love it there, its out of the way and I can still strap stuff on top of it. I also carry 2 MSR bottles because of my stove. I found that the MSR bottles are nice but not enough so I added the roto pax and love it. My friend carries the 2 gal pax and is not much bigger.
  7. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    #5 or #6 I think are your best choices.

I do 15,000 to 20,000 mile trips pretty much each year and the only time I've really needed extra fuel was in Alaska. I carry an Agri-Supply Tool Tube ($5) with a MSR fuel stove ($17) bottle all the time but very rarely use it. When I see the "Yellow" out of gas light come one I know I have about 40 miles to go...and my MSR bottle will get me another 40 miles. My butt or bladder normally lets me know when to stop for gas.

A riding buddy had the bladder and used to have Roto Pax deal. His bladder always reeked of gasoline smell and got all over his clothes..and over 3 or 4 years has never had to use it.

I bought a 2 gallon red plastic jug ($5.00) in Alaska...and when leaving the territory .....gave it to another rider heading north. Cheap solution for a needed temporary fix.
  8. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    +!
    and a pic of 2 1gal rotopax on my ride on the TLH last summer

[​IMG]
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  9. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    I also agree that #5 and #6 are your best choices. I've done both and they are minimum cost and minimum excess bagage for most of the ride.
    In north america there are only a few places where you need fuel beyond about 240 miles.

I've always be able to fine a 1 gallon gas can in some store when I need it. Fill it up strap in on till I don't need it and donate to some gas station to give to some needy sole who has run out. the under $10 buck solution
  10. Maniac28

Maniac28 Journalist

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Rotopax 1 gal. With the extra gallon, I figure I've got about a 275 mile range or more. (my bike usually gets 55-60 mpg on the highway). 275 is more than enough for just about anywhere in north america, that I know of.
  11. Dawg_enD

Dawg_enD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People love to say that you almost never need more gas than the bike carries. It's mostly true, but here's the thing: You do need it once in awhile. My 1150 would go 300 easy, and I needed more in Alaska as well as in Death Valley. I've also come close a few times in the Southwest.

Since it's your bike and your money... if you want to carry extra gas then you need it.

Besides, peace of mind when you are stretching it is worth a lot.

Chiming in: In Alaska I did the cheap gas can option. In Death Valley I had to turn back, not completing the trail I was on. In the Southwest I was close, but I made it on stock fuel.... but that bike went farther than the 800 does.

I'd vote for option 6, personally.
  12. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the Peg Packers and I had the RotoPax but now have the TT option. It's not for everyone but I freakin love it!
  13. mapuda

mapuda Crash Tested Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Kolpin C.A.R.B Fuel Pack Jr. from Happy Trails. I was intrigued by it for two reasons. It is a 1.5 Gal capacity and it is less expensive than the Rotopax. I paid $52.98 which includes a mounting kit. $34.99 for the Fuel Pack and $17.99 for the mounting hardware.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Accessories/Kolpin-Fuel-Pack-Jr.aspxI
  14. Wicket009

Wicket009 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mapuda - give us some feedback on the Kolpin Pack when it arrives. I sheepishly had to beg for fuel on my last ride and I am debating between the Kolpin and Rotopax. Thanks.
  15. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts based on needs during planned trip to Mongolia this summer:

Too costly for the benefit. Also adds difficulty changing air filter.

Still considering adding different rear rack to accommodate Rotopax. Will restrict options for carrying luggage but everything's a compromise and this may just be the best one.

Seriously considered but concerned will be in the way on tough sections. Like the concept as it doesn't interfere with other luggage and could carry fuel on one side, water on the other.

Going to use this method for carrying water.

This is my current set up; four .933ltr MSR bottles fitted to front of panniers, two each side. I'm thinking this'll be adequate.

Tried it, didn't like lack of stability and security but then maybe I didn't give enough thought to how it was attached.

So for me, it's either existing set up of MSR bottles or go to Rotopax.
  16. CloudPilot

CloudPilot n00b

Oddometer:
    I ride an 06 Ultra and sometimes pull and aluminum 20 Cu Ft trailer. When not pulling the trailer I use 2 1 liter metal bottles "With pressure relief holes". They have served me well, especially out west and in North Dakota where fuel stops are limited. They get me an extra 50 miles or so if I am traveling light.
  17. frtzl

frtzl Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer:
    I used a bladder on the JBR in 2009, it worked great since it takes up near zero space when empty and can then be strapped to nearly anything when you need it. In this photo the full bladder is bungied under my sandals on the back of my bike:

[​IMG]

Here it is when stowed empty:

[​IMG]

Note: that I got the "yellow" bladder, which isn't the legal color for carrying fuel.
  18. OrcasKen

OrcasKen Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the responses, good stuff. Frtzl - do you have any issues with vapors escaping or leaking/mess with the bladder? How many times have you used it so far?

Given your feedback, I'm leaning towards carrying a couple of MSR bottles for double duty with the stove and emergency gas. And prob just tossing on a temporary container for a leg where I know I'll need extra gas. If I start thinking about traveling beyond North America, I'll be back to re-read this thread and consider other options. Thank again!

Ken
  19. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    I used a scepter 10 liter mfc for the trans lab. its for sale $90btw
    [​IMG]
  20. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Not much use I suppose but have you noticed what Husqvarna have done with their new BMW engined TE 449 ... It has a opaque 2 litre fuel pump housing underneath the main tank ... looks like a great idea, shame they didn't think of this before the F800GS was designed! :clap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]