V-Strom 650 - in a nutshell

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ECKS-Man, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a recent injury and subsequent soul-searching, it is becoming apparent that, as much as I love the WRF, I am better off for many reasons riding a more road-orientated cruiser.

I am considering a Suzuki DL650, but have some fairly basic questions for Aussie V-strom 650 owners:

What is the air filter like and does it have decent access? Can it cope with the typical western bulldust? Foam or paper? Cost?

How much oil does it hold and do you change your oil yourself? What's an oil filter cost and how hard is it to change?

What oil do you use?

Is the suspension, like so many Suzuki's, designed for a 60kg Japanese engineer who works for Suzuki? Will it need upgrading for a 95kg Aussie and if so what's involved. What kind of cost for this?

How does a V-strom cope with rough tracks - and I mean 4WD only kind of thing. Does it have the ground clearance necessary? I notice that the gear lever tip does not fold back, making it quite vulnerable in a small drop. Are there other features of the bike that are less than ideally suited to rough tracks? Are there mods to fix or change these features?

I don't see many V-strom's with dirt orientated tyres. Is there a recommended tyre for a V-strom on dirt roads, and if so, what kind of dollars are we talking?

How good is the screen for a 175cm bloke?

Thanks!
  2. Hytram

Hytram crash test dummy

Oddometer:
    Paper, about $65, there are some mods on the net to use a Ryco car filter that will cost you $13

take fairing off, lift tank, cover off..

the 1000 holds 2.7, 650? dunno
    very easy to change, 15 mins tops
    about $15-$20 for the filter, metal canister type

any semi synth, I was about to use Delo400 desel oil in mine

I think you do...
    spend $1000 at your local suspension place

it can... but it is VERY top heavy

In my opinion...no

I broke 3 and 2 rear brake levers

shit house ground clearance and nowhere to mount a "proper" sump plate, they turn out to be nothing more than a stone guard

TKC80 and K60 (if you can get them) are your only choice over $500 a set

dunno, I had a 03 DL1000 with a different screen

they are a great bike.. but a real soft roader

you can take them off road, but you are asking for trouble if you take them on 4wd tracks

I cracked the sump (no separate sump...so it was the engine case), broke 3 foot peg mounts (the 1000s are cast aluminum, 650 are steal, so no problem there) 3 gear levers, 2 Brake levers, it was always on its side because it was top heavy..

if I was to go around Australia or even the world and not leave the tarmac or do a few "unsealed" roads the Strom would be my first pick... brilliant reliable bike... but not a dirt bike

I now own a 950Adv for a reason
  3. llewdaert

llewdaert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello

Refer to stromtrooper and V Strom riders international forums for more information and 'how to 'that will answer all your questions.

I ride a 1000 vstrom and it ticks all my boxes. I do ride the pants off it. Most owners will tell you they are poor on 4wd rough tracks. I just crank the throttle and wheelie over stuff that the limited ground clearance dictates, kinda trials style. But I have alot of trials experience so I can do it. I ride with KTM 640 adv and other lighter machines and dont have any issues keeping up, I only struggle on single line stuff]

The folding levers are available after market, the paper air filter is a pain because the tank must be removed to access[I get around 6000 dirt km to a filter and I have just changed to a pipercross foam type]]. Oil changes with filters are easy - the 1000 holds around 3 litres so the six fiddy will be similar. I buy filters from the filter shop at less than $10 each[mann and hummel brand]. I use synthetic oil but they will go with most anything..

These bikes do need to have money spent on extras like bash plates, crash bars, if you want to off road, the suspension is softish and the lots of money can fix that. I spent a little and put a heavier spring on the back and front and I am happy at this stage.

I have dented the rims on mine, but they seem hard to break[or even crack] and I flogged the big dent out last tyre cahnge and it seems ok- did not crack and is still able to run tubeless.

I am evaluating tyres all the time[as I ride and wear them out!!] and I have found the knobby types[Mitas E09 -6000km wear to a set] to be not much grippier in the dirt than the more road type dual sport tyres[[better than 10000km to a set-anakee]

They are big bikes and powerful ,in the dirt...they slide heaps,and I find they need to be ridden standing up and using the throttle to steer. I believe the 650 is a sweeter bike than the 1000 and I love my 1000.....

On the road the v twin motor is a gem, heaps of power, easy to do big km on. Easy on fuel, respectable fuel range....

Overall they are way better than they have any right to be. They are a collection of 'barry budget' bits that come together to make... Just ... well ...just....a bit of an ugly looking damn beauty...

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers
    Scott

4. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys, good info right there!:beer

The bike may never see rough tracks, but I want that option open to me should the moment arise. Most of the riding will be back roads, dirt roads and fire trails - at least that would be the plan.

As for a 950, there's a reason the V-Strom is an option at all, and that is the $$$. Should be able to pick up a half reasonable V-strom for about what I get for the WRF, with any luck.

More research required! :thumb
  5. rearviewmirror

rearviewmirror Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't rule out the XT660R and XT660 Tenere either, they're quite smooth for a single, a bit heavy (much lighter than a Vstrom) and are slightly more at home off the beaten path. I compared the XTR and VSTROM when shopping, I found the V being a bit to roadworthy for me, which for you might be perfect.
  6. badmanners

badmanners Umm, yeah, no.

Oddometer:
    Absolutely agree with everything said above (G'day Scott and Marty!), for what you are listing a Wee would be a great budget conscious option.

Very cheap to run, reliable, ugly as a hat-full-of-arseholes but punches well above its weight and the motor is a joy.

Heidi K60's in the original sizes are pricey but dropping a size front and rear brings the cost down from approx $530 a set to $360 with no apprecable drop in roadholding.

As always the B&B bashplate is a good unit, raising links are realtively cheap and available off the interthingy as are folding gearlevers. My lever cost all of $55 delivered.

Reckon you will need suspension work (or Jenny Craig!):lol3

Finer Filter do an exchange where they mod your filter to a foam/washable unit for around the 50 squid mark.

There's always good bikes coming up for sale with plenty of "enhancements" (not farkles) as they sell very well for all the reasons stated above by other respondents.

Good luck ECKS-man, happy hunting, cheers, badmanners.
  7. Jeffro66

Jeffro66 Mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ecks I have ridden with lewdeart and had a go on his 1000 and it's is awesome to ride. Easy to steer with the back wheel with a little flick of the wrist. Have a look on OBT in the Sofala ride report, I posted a video of the lewdaert tearing up a snotty 4wd only track that I and another vastly more experienced rider wouldn't have thought the big machine (the bike not rider :rofl ) would have done. :clap
  8. Eddywoodgo

Eddywoodgo two wheeled nomad

Oddometer:
    I was always going to sell my wee strum but every time I ride I think what a great bike it is.
    I change my oil every 6k and just us active 4 mineral based. I change the oil filter every second oil change. I use a K&m air filter which gets a clean every 20k, checked every 10 and cleaned if required.

I do dirt roads, fire breaks, my girl friends drive way which is a real adventure and have little trouble.
    I have broken a lever and front indicator on a minor drop. Those indicators are vulurible and I have fitted cheap after market ones that don't hang out on an arm. I reckon bark busters or the like would solve the lever problem.
    My girl friend has recently started riding again and she loves the strum. So I am holding on to it for her to ride. Mayb that is just my excuse to keep cause I like it.:evil
  9. llewdaert

llewdaert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AND LOVING IT!!

10. Oz-Strom

Oz-Strom Still trying

Oddometer:
    I had a weestrom for a couple of years, and it was a great bike. Agree with all the above - it is a road oriented dirt roads tourer, but that said people do take them offroad to places they were never intended to go. They will surprise with where they can get you, and on the road (tar or dirt) they are comfortable and capable and good for 2up. I went from a DR650 to the DL650, mainly for the road comfort. But then I missed the off-road ability, so ended up compromising with the Aprilia Pegaso Trail 650 (with mods) - sort of sits in the middle between the the previous 2 bikes, and way cheaper than the new Yam Tenere.

Tyres wise - I liked an EO9 on the front and anakee rear, but now using the new Pirelli Scorpion Trail Radial for the rear of the Peg, and like it better both tar and dirt.
  11. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D

Got one - didn't take long - at least once the decision was made! I'm happy with my purchase, and now just want the chance to ride the thing!

Just a query though, when I bought it the RH mirror was missing. Is it worth getting a genuine Suzi part or just get an aftermarket version? I can get aftermarket mirrors for about $20-ish, but would need two to make a matching set. Any advice appreciated! :ear

Just planning a few local rides to fill in a spare hour or two. I found a loop that has some great gravel & twisty bitumen, which to date is my only ride on the new machine (that's OK though, I haven't owned it a week yet!). I hope to sort out a few longer routes around the area, probably towards Mudgee way. The plans are there, just need to juggle other commitments and make the time! :lol3
  12. holmesie

holmesie I like stuff...

Oddometer:
    Congrats!

Mr NotForHighwayUse has nicely farkled his 650Wee recently - and we're just down the road from you if you're still in my old home of Wello? Maybe a good excuse for a local meetup one day soon :freaky
  13. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Holmsie,based back at Wello. I'm up for a get-together in the not-too-distant future! There are some great roads I already know about east of here, and I plan to investigate some more as time goes on. Long as you blokes don't mind waiting for me, I ain't quick! :lol3
  14. holmesie

holmesie I like stuff...

Oddometer:
    Haha I'm not quick either mate. Last time I rode up your way, I took as many dirt roads as I could from my folk's place near Fingerpost (Curra Ck) via Cumnock, Gumble, Manildra & Toogong to get back home - there's some great routes out there in all directions :clap

We'll have to organise something soon - NFHU has a wing clipped at the moment, but I hope it's not too long before he's back in action :thumb
  15. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done a few trips through that way for work and play in the past, makes for a much more interesting trip to Manildra etc from here! Yeoval is my home stomping grounds so I know that area pretty well.

We'll arrange something over the next month or so eh? :evil
  16. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joe, the bike has a bashplate, barkbusters, heated grips, top box & centrestand. I will ride it as-is for a bit, see what I think it needs, if anything.

Anyone got an answer on the mirror question?

Sent from my phone using fat fingers!
  18. blue6

blue6 n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't have one, but two mates at work have the 650's and they go just about anywhere National Parks and fire trails 4wd tracks etc,depending on your riding experience. One mate just purchased his second DL650 after a car was on the wrong side of the road.As for me I'll stick with my dual purpose ZZR cheers.:huh

Attached Files:

19. Not for Highway Use

Not for Highway Use Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys.
    ECKs you will love the Wee. Why not keep the WR and the Wee? I sold my XR650 to get the wee for the same reasons. Wanted something a bit more road biased.

It is a big bike compared to the usual enduro bike but fairly easy to fling around. Try to get the ergos set up for standing up and you will be surprised where you can take it.

The motor to is sweeeet.
  20. stretch49

stretch49 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah gotta agree. Im on my 2nd 650. Clocked up 50K on the 1st one and thought i wanted something more dirt worthy and bought a DR650 and yeah missed the road ability of the Wee. Had my 2nd one for 10 months now and put 10k on it. Did the suspension, the seat and a few other bits, just a great all round bike.:clap:clap:clap