the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're not the WORST... I had them on my Strom, and while they weren't bad, I won't run them again. They HATE tar snakes too in my experience.
  2. DeeR200

DeeR200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alot better than the stock ones..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. dirtmech

dirtmech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for one of those my wife...still have it?
  4. brailman133

brailman133 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know exact shinko 705 size that fits front and rear of dr200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

That's the sizes I have on mine, but I imagine a range of sizes would fit.
  6. brailman133

brailman133 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love the look of deer200 tires..

7. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
  8. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shinko's website (http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=63) shows only one 705 front tire that fits: 90/90-21. Two rear 705 tires would fit: 4.10-18 and 120/80-18.
  9. EXEBECHE

EXEBECHE Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. DeeR200

DeeR200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've never had a problem with shinko tires. I had a pair on my sv650, my buell and.now on the dr200 and all seems fine.

Installed a set of renthal bars, noticeably lighter than stock however they're taller and i don't know if i like that so much. Also installed my new ballistic battery (weighs only .885lbs) so looking forward to more weight loss.

I am considering cutting off the rear passenger pegs and removing the emissions canister for further weightloss. I've read that people are weary of cutting the pegs because it decreases resale value but here's how i look at it:

1) this bike isn't worth that much anyway so how much will saving the passenger pegs really make you??
    2) this bike barely has balls with one rider so it's not even practical for 2 up..
    3) im looking for major weightloss by any means possible, it will cook in the streets and be like enough to jam on tough terrain.. even more so than it does now.
  11. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    :scratch diet and exercise :dunno

Just wondering about the contradiction there... "barely has balls..." and "it will cook in the streets.." :norton

We had a nice day in the PNW today - I probably shoulda' wheeled my little bike out of the garage for a run through the hills. :p3rry
  12. DeeR200

DeeR200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess there is somewhat of a contradiction there but there really isn't enough power for two people. I'm 5'4" and weigh 145lbs so this little bike really does move with me on it.. just looking for ways to make it move a little more.. it will be my "forever" bike since it will never really be worth that much there's no point in selling it..
  13. brailman133

brailman133 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'5" 250lbs anyone know of a rear spring that can hold my fat butt?

14. FAW3

FAW3 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Went up and hit Geo. Washington Nat. Forest (South of Detrick, Virginia) this weekend with my son and one of his friends. A bit more snow than we expected...but for a pair of 13 year old boys nothing can beat riding a motorcycle, some time shooting a .22 rifle and finally a big campfire and warm sleeping bags.

The DR200...does about everything pretty good (guess I need to teach him how to readjust the mirrors):

[​IMG]
  15. jeffcneal

jeffcneal Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell, I ride with my mirrors like that all the time. Cuts down on that pesky A.M. glare on my westerly commute :ricky!

regards,
    Jeff
  16. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    ...also deflects lasers! :clap:hide
  17. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    Right on tony! And a damn sight cheaper than even an economy deflector shield :D !

regards,
    Jeff
  18. MotoTrout

MotoTrout MotoTrout

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hello all, long time lurker, first time posting. Summer of 2012 my girlfriend convinced me to get off my butt and finally take those riding classes I always wanted. We started off with a dirt riding class and learned a lot. With dual sporting in mind, we figured we could use a bit more practice as well as taking a safety course so that we could increase our chances of survival out there. We both thoroughly enjoyed the MSF class and I think we did pretty well - U-turn box was successful!

My first bike was a TTR-125 but quickly I realized that I should have just jumped to the dual sport bike from the start. Oh well, you can never have too many bikes in the garage. I was considering the TW200, CRF230L and reluctantly went to the DR200 as it was around at the right time and for the right price...glad I went for it as I enjoy this bike a lot. Here is the DR200 on its first adventure along the Eastern Sierras (Lone Pine area) and it did quite well. Not pictured is my girlfriend who rides a 1974 XL175 - she and that bike did well too!!! Learning a lot about wrenching on that XL, and having a bit of fun doing it. I will try to update on future adventures and will probably jump on the XL forum too. More to come.....

Oh and by the way, I got the bike from another member on this site. I think someone else recently inquired on the bike's availability within the past month or so.
  19. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    MotoTrout:

Welcome to the wonderful world of capable, fun, pretense free dual-sport [..."enduros" to those of us pushing 50...] motorcycles. Looks like some great riding area and your girlfriend's a hell of a photographer:ricky!

regards,
    Jeff
  20. Kleio

Kleio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello. Last month I purchased a used 2009 DR200SE with only 21 miles on it.

I used to ride a Bridgestone 90cc bike when I was in high school in the early '70s. I'm now 57 and I wanted to ride again before it got too late.

I've been getting used to riding again around the hills southwest and west of Cupertino and Saratoga California.
    Once I get my confidence up I plan to go to Metcalf Motorcycle Park in south San Jose, CA.

[​IMG]