Central Missouri Advrs ??

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by rgp332, Dec 2, 2012.

1. cman

cman cman

Oddometer:
    Dang, why do I have to work.:dog
  2. rgp332

rgp332 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cman, how about next sat.? I think another big Piney area ride is in the plans.
  3. DabsAlot

DabsAlot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had a pretty decent ride today I thought.......besides one mishap. We saw a number of old bridges and pretty MO country side.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. DabsAlot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up.....we avoided this route!

5. grindstone

grindstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see Dwayne's bike at the trestle.... I know he has been wanting to make it down there for some time.
  6. DabsAlot

Oddometer:
    Dwayne cut out before getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. wb5plj

wb5plj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, that would be related to the one mishap Steve referred to earlier. Basically early on in the ride I needed to stop a little quickly. I ended up snatching at the breaks which is a sure way to park the bike very quickly. Remember boys and girls Squeeze those breaks don't grab! Apparently I grabbed, too much road riding and not enough gravel lately. It did a nice number on the front of my poor bike, also my side, which was not to bad to begin with.

[​IMG]Beakey slapped in the face by wb5plj, on Flickr

Later I saved Steve from having to do a creek crossing and the hill there after by doing it first. I don't think that Matt was as tempted as either of us. Big soft loose rocks and heavy bikes? Well we decided that we hadn't really done it before so why not give it a try. The rock was not that bad. And the little bit of water was not enough to be any kind of concern. Up the hill was a little rougher. I think I got about three quarters up it. I really need to work on rocky hill climbs with big bike.

The end result was getting stuck on the side of the hill. The last bit of which was a pain, going back down the hill would have easily been facilitated with the help of gravity. Up the hill took all three of us and some under-the-breath swearing.

Oh by the way when trying to get the bike to claw it's way up the hill remember to turn the traction control OFF. Preferably before you and your friends have huffed and puffed to get about a foot of progress.

By the end of getting my bike up there. Steve and Matt found a wonderful bridge just around the corner. And I found that I am woefully out of shape.

So after more more great gravel roads my side was making me wine like a little baby, I decided to call it a day down at Grand Auglaize Bridge while Matt and Steve headed on down to the Devils Elbow Bridge and in search of a place to eat lunch.

I don't know if they ever did get lunch.
  8. DabsAlot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write up wb5plj
    I am better at taking and posting pics than telling about it!
    I wish you and your bike a quick recovery! I had all the intentions of crossing the creek and going up the hill next...... but I don't know that any of our fitness levels could have taken the stress of me not making it lol. At least my fitness level! You gotta have buddies when you try you crazy stuff on big bikes!

Matt and I did find a place to eat.....but there were no more shenanigans after you broke off Dwayne...... We need your inspiration! I thought the route was great..... just too long! We made it to the Devil's Elbow Bridge, and hit pavement home from there..... but it was good too.

Steve
  9. wb5plj

wb5plj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I believe that the optimal number of friends for big bikes and rocky hills is four, that is five plus rider. but the entertainment factor can be way up there. Less I suppose if you are young and healthy :-)

it may be a long rout but at least the first third was great. Ill have to pick it up and continue it some day.

The bike will live, looking at the part's fiche it would be about $900 to fix the bike back to the way it was. However the scratches are part of the character and will remain (That and the beak is bloody expensive piece of plastic) the parts I will have to get will run about $450. And a hammer will be applied to the remaining bits. $320 of it for that bloody piece that holds the headlight and dash. but having it bouncing around in there can't be a good plan for the long term :-) all in all not to bad as I don't do it to often.

I did manage to bruise my ribs much worse than I initially thought. Currently I can't get my arm as high as my shoulder (out to the side) without needing a pee. That too will heal, it was not quite that bad of a hit but I have busted those ribs good before so they are easy to irritate now. Think of it like punching a Gorilla, the second time you go to try it the Gorilla will snarling by the time you get there. (or so i have heard) but in a few days Ill be fine.

A few days for me and a few parts for the bike (I'll order them tomorrow) and I'll be back on gravel in no time. Next weekend if I am extremely lucky.
  10. grindstone

grindstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ouch... but you can look forward to getting down to Devil's Elbow and the trestle at a later date.
  11. spdrcr

spdrcr scrambling

Oddometer:
    Yup, it was a good ride, good route and surprisingly even good weather! :thumb It was great touring all the bridges, especially since I've yet to make the Swinging Bridges Ride. It was cool to meet and ride with Steve and Dwayne. I hope both you and your bike heal up soon, Dwayne!
  12. riceaterslc

riceaterslc Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride! Almost makes me miss Missouri...almost :)

Sweet looking scrambler!

Steve, how's the new suspension working out?
  13. DabsAlot

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris!
    It's working out well..... I just have to adapt to the Captain Morgan stance when I stop lol. I thought about you when we stopped for gas just down the road from your old place ....... miss riding with you bud!

It sounds like Coy's got a ride planned this weekend ........ See all the fun you are missing out on!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. wb5plj

wb5plj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here is a clip from the huffing and puffing hill. I don't know how to embed youtube videos so I'll just have to give the link. (does anyone know how to do that?)

http://youtu.be/VhFMHrpEOL8
  15. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chris WHO??? Oh yea ,the Triump breaker...good to hear from u.......... and yes, planning on riding Sat. coy
  16. dirtyleg

dirtyleg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the only time i rode the SBR we went down that hill, just sayin:D
  17. wb5plj

wb5plj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea yea, down I could have done. Not gracefull mind, but down was definatly the way it wanted to go :-)
  18. cman

cman cman

Oddometer:
    Might be able to do that one.:clap
  19. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    George, me & my boy r in on both....hopefully.......