Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    15/44 on SM wheels is the same gearing as 15/47 on dirt wheels. So sustained road speed I would think it a little buzzy. Stock SM is 15/41. I run 15/38 and am pondering a 16...
  2. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    I keep saying that I don't need to do the 3x3/jet kit mod. I don't.

I ordered it anyway.

Idle hands.... :lol3

The real reason is, not only did I hear it runs more smoothly, but it will wheelie easier. :evil Planning on getting out to Moab sometime in the next year, and although wheelies are normally just to screw around and have a bit of fun, I wan't to have that little extra oomf to loft the front over rocks/cracks and keep it on top of the sand.
  3. Greg MacD

Greg MacD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hitting about 88 MPH as per my GPS (about 96 on the horribly in-accurate speedometer). On the interstate the bike (actualy ME) was good for about 30 min at that speed. I don't get on the highway too often, but I need to jump on every once in a wile.
  4. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to be a smart a##, but the first thing to do is a bit of research on jetting.

Art
  5. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    LOL....ummm, OK. Maybe you could be a little less vague with your comment. :confused:

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
  6. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since I rode out in Utah, not sure of the altitude for a lot of the area. You just need to really examine where you are now with your jetting and and what you want to correct or change, and relate it to where you will be riding.

Art
  7. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    I am at 1000'. Moab is from 4k - 6k ft. With the stock carb, jetted for my home alt with the fuel screw add on, I will be fine in Moab. If I was going to ride mountain passes in CO, I would re-jet for a higher altitude ONLY for the trip. I'm not going to jet it for a two or three day trip, at 3,000ft above what its jetted for.

You really don't need to worry much about this, as it will just be down on power a tad at much higher altitudes. Its not going to cause a major problem, since going up will make it run rich. Even more less of a worry with the stock carb. The diaphragm in there is designed to help compensate for altitude changes. Aircraft carbs in the little bug smashers (think: Cessna 172) use the same design.

I am a licensed A&P (aircraft mech.). Thanks for the concern though....
    :p
  8. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
    Just thought I would share, on my ride home from work today:

[​IMG]

:clap
  9. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The carb is simple to work on and hard to get off and on the bike. When you do have the carb in hand for disassembly for the needle notice how much tension is required to pull on the black plastic keeper over the needle. You will remember this because it also snaps back into place upon reassembly. It it isn't on properly it will run at idle but just off idle it will be terrible. To jet for Hanford which is essentially sea level select the 0-4000 ft settings. I live in the foothills at 1400 ft and ride in the mountains at 4K-9K most of the time so I run a compromise setting per JD. The bike runs much better at 4K and above than at home altitude.
  10. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    liked!!
  11. Every Miles A Memory

Every Miles A Memory Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're my Hero!!
  12. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool any maintenance issues? Have you had to do a top end yet?
  13. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many stators?
  14. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
    I've mostly been doing standard maintenance (oil changes, air filter, etc.) I just had to replace some seals because i had a mystery leak (now seams solved). No head work, but I should probably check the valves pretty soon, last was sometime at 20k. I'm on my second stator. I need to do the front brakes and fork seals at the moment too(second time for both), as well as desperately needing to do the swingarm maintenance (I've never done it:huh). Had an odo cable go out a while ago, and I'm on my 3rd clutch cable. And I think I'm on my 4th or 5th battery, second starter motor (bought a used one when mine locked up). I think those are the only maintence items, everything else I broke being stupid or was aftermarket. Oh, and lots of tires:lol3
  15. twizzler

twizzler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SuperMoto mode on my 2013 DRZ400S. Everthing fit great and I will be able to go back and forth between knobbies and the SM tires very easily! Cool. :norton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    VERY NICE!! Only thing missing imo is are the SM front forks and plastic guards they come with, they look so much better then the S forks with the accordians on em, lol
  17. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What wheels are you using? Do you retain the stick speedo drive? Very nice!
  18. twizzler

twizzler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, they are the RAD MFG wheels and the front hub is compatible with the stock speedo drive unit so I did keep the stock instrument cluster/speedometer. I prefer the look of the stock speedo over the Vapor one in particular even though the speedometer is off by 5-15 mph with the 17" wheels it's not a fast bike but extremely grin inducing. :clap
  19. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just hit the 20,000 mile mark also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also trying out some new tires, Conti Trail Attack. I went from a wore out 150/60 rear tire to a 150/70 and it is TALL. It feels like an inch taller! Luckily I have some long legs.
  20. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    Damn but these bikes look GOOD in white!!! :raabia :freaky