Mountain passes in the Alps, end of April

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by RRVT, Mar 12, 2014.

1. RRVT

RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer:
    My friend and I will be riding in Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Germany the last week of April. Could anyone recommend some mountain passes that will be open by then? I really wanted to do Stelvio but that one only opens on May 27th.
  2. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing like rushing the season.

The Dolomites should all be open - barring the occasional fresh snowfall.

The Stelvio will be closed - and can be well into June. As will the Timmeljoch and most of the high French passes - l'Iseran, Bonnette.

The passes around Andermatt will be iffy - the Furka may only be "crossable" by train from Oberwad to Realp via a tunnel, and the same goes for the St. Gotthard.

Also - one week is a bit short to cover the amount of countryside that you're looking to do. I'd stick with the Dolomites and Austria - plenty of roads and most will be open for the skiers.
  3. RRVT

RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks. Unfortunately I have little control over when I can do it or the length of the trip, so at this point I am trying to figure what makes most sense.

4. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Better a short trip with bad weather than no trip at all.

With one week, focus on a smaller area - what you outlined in your original post would want at least 2 weeks, or better 3 just to get a sample of the highlights.

I'd focus on he Dolomites - absolutely killer scenery and roads, the roads will be open, lots of accommodations.

Base out of Arabba or Corvara in Badia (right in the middle of the area) for 3-4 nights and you'll be happy.

Italy is called "The Sunny Side of the Alps" - with the southern exposure, it's habitable long before the Swiss and Austrian hills have lost their snow.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the roads you want to ride are "Tourist" routes, and are often left unmolested until Spring - not enough traffic to justify snow clearing. The roads that ARE kept open have commercial value (or loooong tunnels). In the Case of the Dolomites, that value is year-round sport/tourism as opposed to heavy commercial truck traffic.

Fly into Milano, rent a bike, hop on the Autostrada and take the Descenzano del Garda exit, go up the west coast of the lake to Bolzano and head east to Arabba. Greater detail on request.

I had the great good fortune to spend 4 years in that part of the world with the Air Force many years ago, and have been back for a few weeks just about every year for the past 12 or so.
  5. bchbum

bchbum n00b

Oddometer:
    MichaelJ,
    Traveling to Dolomite region in August and first week of September. Staying in the town of Brez and traveling out from this central location. Any recommendations for must see roads, sights while traveling this region. Will be two couples riding two up for entire vacation. Thanks.

6. MichaelJ

Oddometer:

Interesting location - wouldn't have been my first choice - it's a bit out of the way and will make for long days in the saddle. You should plan for about 250 - 300 kms (not miles) per day - with twisty roads and small towns with low speed limits, you should expect to average around 50KPH riding - this is why I wouldn't base out of Brenz - you'll spend a lot of time just getting back and forth to the good stuff (also known as "commuting").

I'm on the road right now, and will look at some routes when I stop for the night (I'm getting ready to head into the rain now :puke1 ).

I assume that your Brez is the one that is about 40kms SW of Bolzano.

Cheers
  7. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still.....SS42 is kick-ass and SS238 ain't bad either. :D
  8. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Yeah - a bad day in the Dolomites is better than a great day just about anywhere else.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  9. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    bchbum, here's a couple:

Loop 1:
    Over the Passo Mendola to Bolzano to SS508 over the Passo Pennes (Penser Joch) to Vipiteno. Pick up the SS44 over the Passo Giovo (Jaufen Pass) and down to Merano. Pick up the SS238 over the Passo Palade and back to Brez - about 212KM.

Loop 2:
    Southwest over the Passo Tonale to Ponte di Legno. From there pick up the SS300 over the Gavia Pass to Bormio and then over the Stelvio Pass. A visit to Glorenza is a nice change of pace, and a side trip to Resia and the Reschen Pass where Mussolini drowned a number of villages for a Hydroelectric project. A campanilestill projects from the lake. Back down the Ss38 towards Merano and back to Brez. About 250kms without the side trip to Resia, 300kms with it.

Loop 3:
    Up to Bolzano and pick up SP24 to Fie, Siusi and Castelrotto. From there continue up the Val Gardena to the Passo Gardena and down into Corvara in Badia. Go over the Passo Campolongo to Arabba and then over the Paso Pordoi to Canazei and Vigo di Fassa. From Vigo, pick up the SS241 over the Passo Costalunga to Nova Levanta and Bolzano. About 240 kms.

Unfortunately, the majority of the Dolomites are out of reach from your base - you can just get to them and it's time to turn back. Is there any way that you could slice out 3 to 4 nights to base in the Dolomites. Your present base lets you tickle the western edge, but it you could do a few nights near Cortina (I know a great little hotel in Pocol), you could do the central and eastern bits.
  10. hensmen

hensmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roman, what about Corsica, it is the best time, end off april, and for a week enough time to ride over the island.
    Hans
  11. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, Now we're talking! :clap
    Where will you begin you journey?
    Paul
  12. Ali in Austria

Ali in Austria Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ramsau Am Dachstein, Austria, Motorcycle Heaven
    Re Austria - The Großglockner and Nockalmstraße open 1st May, weather permitting. It is only the high passes that have seasonal closures and then it isn't just a case of clearing the snow, the mountain sides have to be made safe from risk of avalanche and falling rocks loosened over the winter. These tend to be roads with no villages for many Kms that go over a mountain. Roads that have villages are used all year round and unless their is recent snowfall, shouldn't be a problem at the end of April.

Ours have been free from snow for many, many weeks and bikes are out in numbers although we are forecast significant snow from Sunday onwards doh.

The West Ramp of Stelvio is usually open all year. it is the East Ramp where they plough all the snow to in winter that is the problem and doesn't open until the end of May or sometimes in to June. The Umbrail Pass is usually open in April. I have used it a few times then without problems. It allows you to do a loop route of Stelvio.
  13. RRVT

RRVT Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer:
    I am picking up my bike in Ireland and taking a ferry to France where my friend will join me for a few days of riding. We'll be together for about six days and then he will head back to Paris and I will go to my parents in Slovakia. Our rough outline without any planning yet is Geneva-Lake Como-Dolomites-Salzburg.
  14. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    This might be the year for an early ride. The Northern Alps have had a very easy winter, and early spring.
  15. Ali in Austria

Oddometer:
    Currently clear blue skies and quite hot in the Eastern Alps :clap
  16. Ali in Austria

Oddometer:
    Managed to find the time to get out in the mountains yesterday for the first time this season. Perfect weather, clear blue skies, warm enough for light clothing and quiet roads. Even a low laying cloud pocket for a few kms wasn't uncomfortable :D