Routes and Straight Lines Montana AMPS Mount

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by gtj, Aug 7, 2013.

1. gtj

gtj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I use a Garmin Montana for hiking, kayaking, ATV'ing, vehicle use as well as on my motorcycle. I have it installed on the AMPS Rugged mount on the ATV and the motorcycle.
    When the unit is installed and powered through the AMPS mount, it powers up and powers off automatically in sequence with the ignition switch power.
    When travelling with the unit on the motorbike (or ATV), with each power down and power up there is a straight line recorded in the track log from the starting position to approximately the end/new start position. These straight lines get confusing after a bit on some rides.
    Under battery power while hiking, kayaking, etc. if the unit is powered down and my position moves and then is powered back up there is no straight line recorded in the track, just a nice simple "gap" in the track as one would expect during the period when the unit was powered off.

Is there a known way to prevent these straight lines from recording while using the AMPS mount?

Thanks,
    gtj
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's really interesting that the straight line don't show up under battery power cycles. I see them a lot and just assumed they were always there.

On my motorcycles I run the power to the mount directly from the battery. So this eliminates cycles due to simple shutting the engine off.

The lines are annoying. I think someone found a way to eliminate them by some sequence of commands each power cycle - like maybe turning off tracking before turning off the unit.

Whatever it was, it was too complicated for me to do routinely.
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    What Profile do you use when the Montana IS NOT in the Rugged Mount?

What Profile do you use when the Montana IS in the Rugged Mount?

EDIT: I suppose that wasn't fair. The real answer is, this is a Garmin feature. The way around it is to remove the Montana from the Rugged Mount before you turn it off and turn the unit on before you place it in the Rugged Mount. It should fool the Montana into thinking you are using the device on Battery rather than in the Powered mount. This will close the previous Track Log and start a new Track Log so no connecting line.

Although, I have found over the years, it is just as easy to split the Track Log's where there is this large gap.
  4. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Look here And the conclusion here
    What I have found is to do a master reset this should fix the problem.

Montana Wiki
    Please let up know if this works...

Fred