New 2012 Honda NC700X 700cc Parallel Twin!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Two Plugs, Sep 27, 2011.

1. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted about it once. Pulled the tire, went over the bead surface with scotch-brite and solved the problem. I don't think it was the bead sealer either. The powder coat ended right around the same place as the bead, and on that wheel, the surface was less than perfect. The front tire, on the other hand, looked to be done more carefully. Almost looked like a different material. Thankfully it was an easy fix.
  2. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This issue regarding the rear tire is interesting. I took delivery of a 2013 NC700X back in late February. Because of weather I did not ride it much until recently. Last week when I pulled it out I checked the tire pressure. My rear tire was down to 5 PSI. What was odd is the tire did not look or feel flat but it was that low. I aired it up to 42 PSI and checked it the next day and at least over a 24 hour period it was still holding all the air. I am planning to check it often though because of this reported issue and my own observation. Mine came with Metzeler tires!

When I noticed the low tire I also inspected for any imperfections and did not see any. I put a bit of soapy water around the valve stem and it was not the issue. So my next thinking was perhaps the bead was not seated properly. After reading here this could very well be what it is. I am also not ruling out a poor dealer PDI. I always go over stuff shortly after delivery and I always find tires set anywhere from 5 to 10 lbs low.
  3. fiah

fiah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also had this issue I guess. My rear tire was also leaking from the rim, but it was already nearly worn out so I just had it replaced by the local Kawasaki shop. Had I known that this was such a frequent issue, I would have brought it to the Honda shop where I bought my NC700 to have them replace or reseat it under warranty. Now I'm not even sure how bad my rim was, the guys at the Kawasaki shop didn't say anything (I bet they would have loved the chance to harp on Honda for a bit!). They thought it could have been from sand/dirt trapped between the rim and tire, as I told them I'd been riding on some mild dirt roads for a bit.
  4. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Here is the thing about tires and Internet forums.Back several years ago on Stromtroopers a bunch of guys had so called issues with the stock Trail Wing tires that came on the Vstroms.They nick named the tire DEATH WING,so all the noobs who bought the bike that read that took off there new tires and replaced them with something else.I loved the Trail Wings and got there take offs for free or just shipping costs.I put almost 60,000 miles on my Strom and only bought 1 NEW tire for it. !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. automated1

automated1 Adventurer

Oddometer:

How is the noise level with this combo compared to stock?
  6. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    My guess is, you better have ear plugs.
  7. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I can hear the front....

8. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, if someone came up and asked me about noise from my TKC80's my first reaction would be a blank Homer Simpson: *blink* *blink* "Um, noise?" :confused

:lol3

Obviously they do feel a bit bumpitty bump lumpy at slow speeds on pavement, but I can't say any noise has caught my ears to a meaningful degree. :ear

As a control; I was amazed and vaguely alarmed at the ungodly loud howling from the front OEM Metzeler Z8 when braking! :eek1

Unless the rear Heidenau is somehow louder than a TKC, I don't think it will be too obnoxious, but of course as always, YEMV :D
  9. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    If I put my shield up and lay on the tank I can hear it,but it's NOT as loud as the car next to me, the truck behind me or the wind passing my helmet.I ride to experience all the smells ,sights and sounds around me.If the tires make noise it's of no concern one way or another to me !!.

10. Motoswami

Motoswami Motoswami

Oddometer:
    N'West Rider:

What are the sizes of that tire combo you've been running?
  11. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    120 front ,150 rear

12. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    "like" :D
  13. Xylx

Xylx Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My rear tire won't hold air. Or at least wouldn't. It is the original tire. I bought the bike with 800 miles on it and have gone 500 more. The tire leaked very slowly. I finally aired it up to 45 psi and let it sit for a few days then set it to 40. Seems to have fixed the issue which was undoubtedly a rim leak as the valve was fine. I've got a set of TKCs ready to spoon on though. I know the rear won't last nearly as long as a K60, but I have developed trust in the TKCs from being on my ex BMW for years. I suppose if I'm headed off anywhere longer than 3K miles I'll switch out the rear.
  14. geeksrpeeps2

geeksrpeeps2 n00b

Oddometer:
    I moved to Seoul a few months ago from Florida, and my MPGs have been cut almost in half ever since. Granted, I've gone from 95% highway riding at 65mph during 30 minute trips to 100% city / hilly riding during 5 minute trips in much colder temperatures. My average MPGs between these 2 locations have gone from about 68 to about 38. I anticipated a difference, but not this significant. I ride as miserly as possible and constantly ensure adequate tire pressure. The engine seems to run as smooth as always. Is it just the new environment and riding habits, or is there something else I should look for / pay attention to? Thanks.
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Standing still in traffic will do most of the damage.
    That, and fuel is probably not as good there.
  16. Brit711

Brit711 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what are your thoughts about it pulling a sidecar? I am imagining it may be equivalent to a Dneiper/cossak etc .... I am not really interested in it being "fast" but rather that it be capable of pulling it at a steady pace (60mph/100kmh). I have a CSM-1A adventure style sidecar, which probably weighs about 300lbs. Of course it will use extra fuel, but I am wondering it will be so bad seeing that riding it solo gives such a great economy already. :ear
  17. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I just sold my GS850 sidecar rig that I built.It had about 50hp when new so I figured it had around 40 now.It was pretty slow ,60 mph max but it didn't have as much torque as the NC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Brit711

Brit711 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well this is the sidecar I have at the moment... the BMW has departed... but I am thinking of a GOOD economical bike to pull it...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    It won't be fast but it would be fun. !!.
    I have thought about building another hack and mounting to the. NC, but this time it will be ALOT lighter .Since the. NC has no frame under the engine a subframe will have to be built ( which I did on my Vstrom).
    Look up " The 12x12 build. " to see how I did it.

20. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the nc or ctx would make for a nice hack. Change the gearing 15 to 20%. Use the duel clutch and abs. Keep it light and aero.