Honda 919 recommendations - complaints

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by beardking, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Found 2 reports 56-58 on wristtwisters.com too.

Every bike I had (or car) I managed to get better MPG figures then
    factory numbers, and still be faster then the traffic around me (most
    of the times).
  2. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:

They could always be bad at math...lol.

I have dropped a gear on my rear sprocket and NEVER gotten that...lol.
  3. iJamesLopez

iJamesLopez n00b

Oddometer:
    It's a cheap streetfighter headlight. They are all over eBay for 25-30 bucks. I didn't want to pay 100 for a wind screen. It works well as a windshield (nice air pocket right above tank), but not as well for night riding. I have since mounted two discrete fog lights under it.
  4. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I'd probably go +1 at the front.
  5. iJamesLopez

iJamesLopez n00b

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a great start, thanks!
  6. danny danko

danny danko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running 17 / 44. +1 front and back. Got 180 miles off 4 gallons, and that was 2 up for about 140. Last 40 were straight hooligan miles. If you're easy on the wrist, the 919 gets awesome mileage.

If anyone is looking for a set of Sato exhaust cans for their 919, PM me as I've got a set for sale.
  7. danny danko

danny danko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Needed to add a pic from my trip out west. 2400 miles in 4 days. Only issue I had was a flat tire from road construction. And it was a BRAND NEW tire, wasn't happy.

[​IMG]
  8. Crash99

Crash99 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - great thread :D
    Just recently traded my 2nd 919 for a CB1300 after 99,546, 99,545 of which I did myself in 3 years. First 919 got written off at about 60,000k by a female bmw driver turing in front of me . . .

Always fitted a Scott oiler to both 919 s and I never replaced the chain on the recent 919. No bull, it was in perfect condition - asked the shop mechanic at about 80k km, surely I need to change the chain - he said he would sell me one but I didnt need it! And riding NZ roads can be pretty rough at times, lots of repairs, some dirt etc.

Lots of touring at, ahem, fastish speeds :lol3 with a mate on his Hayabusa. Hornet keeps up in the twisties without too much trouble . . . Done several 1000km days, and 7000km in 8 days around NZ.

The real answer to the seat problem is get some real butt muscles, guys - seriously, it helps your stamina, and pleases the lady :evil (Go to maxworkouts.com)

Love the 13 though. Still the naked thing going on, which i like, and a substantially better seat, and with Ohlins shocks and revalved forks it handles beautifully for a big bike - and it still loves the twisties (the 'busa just doesnt get away so quick on the straights anymore!), while that torque never fails to put a smile on my face :clap
    Tyre wear is somewhat less to say the least, but not surprising.
    The 919 was/is a superb all rounder, the 13 just does it easier.

Off on the 2 yearly Southern Cross Rally in March http://new.rustynuts.co.nz/Rides/TheSouthernCross.aspx.

Cheers guys, keep the rubber side down.
    Dave
  9. SammyTheSlider

Oddometer:
  10. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet this mileage debate mostly goes away when you factor in UK vs. US gallons. Also, most folks don't measure fuel usage in statistically meaningful ways. I record each fill-up in Excel, so over time I get a real, life of the machine number that is meaningful.

My CBF1000F since new, has done 5.36 L / 100 km, or 43.9 US MPG

The 919 is sportier than my CBF, and based on 1 ride on a 919, seems a good bit lighter & more powerful. Seat of the pants if that low-to-mid 40's (US) is likely the best it could do, and ridden in anger it would drop into the upper 30's.

Based on my admittedly uninformed opinion,Shadow 9er is spot-on on the mileage.
  11. SammyTheSlider

Oddometer:
    I dropped a tooth on the rear sprocket and use a CBR 900 header and two brothers slip on. With my givi bags and top case I average about 42 @ 75-80 mph and roughly 45 with the bike naked. I have gotten higher when I cruise back roads and do 55 and I have gotte much lower on track days.
  12. Amphibious

Amphibious n00b

Oddometer:
    Another 919 owner checking in. She'll get Luggage this year, we have plenty of uber twisty mountain highways up here.

[​IMG]
  13. Just Max

Just Max I put the F in luck

Oddometer:
    In! - Just finished cleaning up my new to me '04. Can't wait for the weather to break (snowing right now... )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Avispao

Avispao Hornet 900 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. :eek2 How?
    I also fitted scottoiler and my chain is near to be replaced after 30000km (50000 now). I ride two up most of time (when i go out alone i remove fairing and topcase)

[​IMG]
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    WTF re: chain mileage.
    :eek1
  16. Dave W.

Dave W. Yea Sportball!

Oddometer:
    07- bone stock only owner- sometimes have two other bikes in the stable but been through many good times on my 919. Its a bike you can trust.

[​IMG]
  17. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a very low km '06 919 (Hornet) back in February. It is perhaps the best all-rounder bike I've owned out of 60+. Light - same weight as my W800, powerful enough, handles well, does gravel and dirt roads without fuss, very comfortable and so on. Everything I need. I semi-permanently damaged my left shoulder in an off last year and the original bars were giving me a bit of trouble so I put a set of 1" up and back risers and Daytona bars on it. Perfect - the originals are too narrow for me and have an odd pull-back, being more used to English-style bars. I've commuted on it in the city, thrashed it through the Hills and have done long highway trips and over the 11,000km I've put on it so far it has averaged 45mpg US, the lowest being 41 on a 'spirited' ride and the highest 55 on a 100kmh 230km cruise. The only complaint I've had with it is the brake lever is a bit too far inwards for my big feet, so I put a 1" extension on the toe-piece.
  18. SammyTheSlider

Oddometer:
    Just did aluminum rear sprocket and 520 conversion... loooove it!!!
  19. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I gotta question, between the model that's got adjustable suspension, is it worth paying $4500 vs $3500 for the older one in my case?
  20. SammyTheSlider

Oddometer:

Well, the front forks on an older one can be swapped with a CBR F-4 so that they are adjustable. The rear is the killer, an adjustable rear shock is pushing 1,000.

Now with that being said, how important is it? I would spend 1,000 less on the bike and get a set of 200 forks and a 50.00 fender and be done with it. You can find the adjustable rear shocks for 100.00 on Ebay every now and then.

Honestly, I don't notice a huge difference when I adjust mine, other than ride height on the read and how much it dives when I hit the brakes.