Vemar Jiano Modular Hands-On review.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by wolfy317, Aug 1, 2009.

1. wolfy317

wolfy317 BMW ADDICT

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I bit the bullet and grabbed up the Vemar Jiano Modular helmet. I got it for a steal on craigslist ($115 shipped) because it didn't fit the PO. He'd worn it for 15 minutes and wasn't happy. Luckily my head is shaped right! I measured at exactly 24" circumference, and the XL fit me perfectly. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet for all the rain this week. But I've messed with it, and so far love it. I'll reserve final judgement for after a ride. And I'll update too.

Here are some pics:

Front:

The first thing I noticed on the front of the helmet was the SMALL intakes for the ventilation system (hope they work well). I'm not sure if the 2 vent-like holes to the left and right of center on the chin bar actually have a function. I also noticed the lack of an external button for raising the chin bar. I find that I like this feature, as I tend to adjust my helmet from time to time on rides, and my currnet modular will come open as I do when I accidentaly hit the external button. The chin bar button is on the inside center.

[​IMG]

Front w/interior sun visor down:

This is my favorite feature of the helmet. I will say that it appears as if the interior visor isn't as clear as it should be, but I'll wait until I'm out in the sun riding to pass judgement.

[​IMG]

Chin bar up:

Not much to show here, but you can a view of the nice and comfy interior, plus a look at where the overhead vent comes out in the front.

[​IMG]

Interior:

Here's an interior view. Plush padding, plus room for a com system or some decent helmet speakers. I don't think it will accommodate any of the larger over the ear type of headphone speakers without modification. There is a version of this helmet with built in bluetooth and stereo speakers. BUT, it's $$$$$:huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rearview:

Here are the exhaust vents. You'll also notice that this helmet is DOT and ECE rated. According to webbikeworld.com it's the only Modular helmet on the market right now that is safety-rated as high as a full faced helmet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side:

Just a shot of the lever that actuates the interior sun screen. It's on the left side for easy use while riding.

[​IMG]

And just one last picture:

[​IMG]

More after a test ride!
  2. wolfy317

wolfy317 BMW ADDICT

Oddometer:
    Went on a 2.5 hour ride with the jiano today, and must say, I thoroughly enjoyed the helmet. The drop down sunscreen seems to be just a HAIR hazy, but not enough to bug me in any fashion. My head didn't seem to get as hot in this helmet, so the ventilation must be doing it's thing. The latching system is very easy to use, and seems to be effective. All things considered, I'd rate this helmet an easy 7.5-8 out of 10. Maybe more for the price and the fact that it is the safest modular on the market.

Al
  3. bmwhd

bmwhd God Bless Texas

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to try one of these on. With the amazing new BT feature they offer, the combo should be a real winner.
  4. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. douglasgraham

douglasgraham This is my car

Oddometer:
    <meta name="Title" content=""> <meta name="Keywords" content=""> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"> <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 2008"> <meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 2008"> <link rel="File-List" href="file://localhost/Users/wdg/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0clip_filelist.xml"> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:DocumentProperties> <o:Template>Normal.dotm</o:Template> <o:Revision>0</o:Revision> <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime> <o:pages>1</o:pages> <o:Words>134</o:Words> <o:Characters>767</o:Characters> <o:Company>Roll Call, Inc.</o:Company> <o:Lines>6</o:Lines> <o:paragraphs>1</o:paragraphs> <o:CharactersWithSpaces>941</o:CharactersWithSpaces> <o:Version>12.0</o:Version> </o:DocumentProperties> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves>false</w:TrackMoves> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:DrawingGridHorizontalSpacing>18 pt</w:DrawingGridHorizontalSpacing> <w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing>18 pt</w:DrawingGridVerticalSpacing> <w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayHorizontalDrawingGridEvery> <w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery>0</w:DisplayVerticalDrawingGridEvery> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:DontAutofitConstrainedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="276"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--> <style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> <!--StartFragment--> So I’ve had mine for two weeks now and have used it everyday. Helmet fits great and I do like the quick snap buckle. I thought I would not but I do. The fit is just like shoei so if you have a shoei head your in good shape. Wind noise is less then my X-11 but thats not saying much. Bluetooth rocks both in listening to music and using the phone. Sunscreen is fine and I like that also. Rained hard during one ride and it did leak around the shield but not enough to be a deal breaker light rain its fine. Vents work like all full-face helmets...meaning they don’t do shit you have to crack the face shield to get air. Vision has been reported to be restricted somewhat and peripheral vision has been reported to be in the dangerous category. This has not been my experience. It is a little less then my X-11 but not a deal breaker here either. Over all I like this helmet and would consider another one when I’m due to replace.
    <!--EndFragment-->