Central and South America GPS Maps

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by Supergringo, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Supergringo

Supergringo Hablar, bla bla bla.

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    After riding from Argentina to California I wrote an entry on my blog discussing the GPS maps I used and what I thought of them. You can see the entry here:

http://www.northbymotorbike.com/?p=675

I hope that this is helpful for anyone riding around in South and Central America. If anyone has comments or suggestions on what I wrote, please let me know.
  2. dakrause

dakrause Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. DaZbrah

DaZbrah start me up

Oddometer:
    Want to down load Central and South American countries on a new Garmin 220 what do you suggest?
  4. dakrause

dakrause Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Archimedes

Archimedes Adventure Researcher

Oddometer:
    Followed the directions, got the mapsource, downloaded the package, but I cant seem to get mapsource to recognize it, no luck. Any suggestions?
  6. Archimedes

Archimedes Adventure Researcher

Oddometer:
    Sorry, magically fixed itself.
    cheers,
  7. dakrause

dakrause Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK!
    FYI- a new version of Cenrut is due out this week.
  8. y8oung

y8oung n00b

Oddometer:
    Jason Richter,
    Let me first say that your trip looked amazing!

Take a look at my trip >

COSTA RICA TRIP PHOTOS

My name is Michale Burr, founderof gpsEtravelguides.com. I wanted to let you know gpsEtravelguides.com -

- Offers a sizable discount to any Advrider who is traveling all of Central America or multiple countries. All you have to do is email support@gpsetravelguides.com
    - Offer 4 months of free updates to any GPS map purchased.
    - Any errors or missing points that are found in the data can be corrected or added. A new update can be sent to you in days - not weeks or quarterly like other GPS companies.
    - We are CONSTANTLY updating all the Central America maps with data (one ways, restaurants, hotels, roads etc...) from our mapping travels, customer feedback and a team of geographical information system engineers
    - Owners answer all feedback emails

We just finished driving 1,700 kilometer data collection trip in February in Costa Rica - here are some of the highlights.

Costa Rica GPS map update in March 2011
    • Realigned multiple roads to match gps alignment.
    • Added over 4,000 new POI's.
    • Added river names.
    ...• Added oneways into San Jose, Liberia, Santa Elena, San Isidro.
    • Added roads to San Jose, Monteverde, Santa Elena, Malpais, Tamarindo, Dominical, Manuel Antonio, San Isidro, Jaco, Uvita.
    • Verified navigation traveling more than 1,700 kilometers in February 2011.

Please email me at support@gpsetravelguides.com and I will send you all the new GPS map updates ASAP.

Warm Regards,
    Michael
  9. hendikaf

hendikaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a bit surprised that no one took advantage of the free available maps for South America and started to do micro sd and sale them to people with poor PC knowledge or just too busy or lazy to do it themself ( that will be me) , many of us are travelling to SA and the only maps available to buy seems to be brasil and Colombia.

Am I missing something

Hendi
  10. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:

You would rather buy the maps? :huh If you want I will be happy to put all these on a card and mail them to you for 500 bucks. :lol3

Free routeable map of the entire world: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Free Argentina, Uruguay,Chile: http://www.proyectomapear.com.ar/

Another Free Argentina,Uruguay, Chile, Bolivia: http://mapas.gps.com.ar/

Free Venezuela: http://www.gpsyv.net/

Free Colombia: http://www.colrut.com/

Free Peru: http://www.perut.org/

Free Brasil: http://www.tracksource.org.br/
  11. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Michael, did you change the way you do business?

I purchased 3 of your maps for 60 dollars each over a year ago.I had emailed you if I could get a discount if I purchased all the maps. I never got a reply. I purchased Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua.

Coverage in the cities was useable at times, but oftentimes off by many meters. Coverage outside of the cities was spotty at best, with non-existent roads that were displayed or just no road at all where there was in reality decent and heavily traveled paved highway.

All this could be acceptable, but not for 60 bucks for a map of such a small area.

In addition, updates had to be purchased, for full price. Not to mention the fact that I sent you an email offering to send you thousands of miles of tracks that I rode in Central America if I could possibly get a little discount on the maps. I never got a reply. Then I read on your site that you might give me a free update if I sent you my tracks and you actually used them in a future update, whenever that may occur. Not much of a deal there.

Hopefully things have changed with your business, but after purchasing your maps over a year ago, I felt like I had been taken by paying way too much for a very marginal product at best. My fault completely. Caveat emptor.

Your maps are useful, but I thought they were way too expensive for the quality, and the area covered.

Hopefully things have changed.

Regards, Vince
  12. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The CenRut maps look excellent. Downloaded to mapquest with help from WinZip. I was only able to get auto routing for short distances. Now auto routing does not work at all. Checked the "route style" in Preferences but the correct box is checked. Any suggestions?? Thanks
  13. kikele

kikele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CenRut map is good, has a lot of detail and accurate. It comes with detail of large and small towns for all Central America from Guatemala to Panama, and the best of all is free!!!!:clap

As everything it has a downside:
    • It´s a large map and requires a lot of space on a SD card, but I understood that new updates will be each individual country
    • The other thing is that on my Zumo I´m not being able to read the complete street names just the first letter of each word, hope this will be fixed.
  14. TrevorHeath

TrevorHeath Roaming the World

Oddometer:
  15. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent thread
  16. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ Let's go!
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ Packed and ready to get going again :freaky
  18. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the past I have downloaded and installed OSM maps to my mapsource program Version 6.15.6 and had it work great.

For some reason unknown to me the maps have failed to show up in mapsource, they are still in my maps drop down list on the top left of mapsource but there are no images when I click on it. Only see blank tiles as I zoom in or all the way out.

Any ideas as to what is going on without seeing any images. I've reselected tiles from OSM site and got them downloaded but they still fail to have images when I try to select maps. Driving me crazy, any body got any fresh links for Ecuador maps??

John in Ecuador using paper maps.

I didn't see the download button for the links for Ecuador maps listed earlier in this thread.
  19. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Wish I'd found this thread before my recent Guat trip where half the time I only had a blank screen with a blue squiggle.

Thanks for sharing all the info. Will be better prepared next time.
  20. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went with the ease of just buying the map from GPStravelmaps and have been impressed so far with Ecuador map. Will be doing some more off the beaten track testing over the next few days.

John in Quito for the moment...