Durability of Rev'It?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by matthelimech, Sep 26, 2010.

1. matthelimech

matthelimech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any durability issues? I have a pair of Dakar pants that are 2 years old and the seams at the knees and thighs are coming undone. No get offs or tears, but its like the material is unraveling at the stitching. I love the gear, but I would think they would hold up a little better, or is 2 years all they will last?
    I talked to rev'it and they recommended sending them to a place in Wa. to repair, but by the time I ship them, pay for the repairs and ship back it may not be worth it. Anyone else have any issues or ideas?
  2. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly amazed at how well my Cayenne pants and jacket have held up. My only complaint on the coat is the little elastic thing on the collar has lost its spirit. It's held up every bit as well as my BMW Rallye setup.
  3. Wanderer1

Wanderer1 Tuesday

Oddometer:
    Same pants, same issue I'm afraid - started less than a year after purchase.
  4. StarFleet

StarFleet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Revit mesh jacket I bought 5 years ago has had a couple problems about 2 years into owning it. The liner sleeves snaps have almost all broken, and the velcro closure on the sleeve is gotten all fuzzy (from the velcro pulling it up). Really early on the reflective material on the zipper pockets on front wore off. Seemed like a really bone head move to put the reflective material right by moving parts.

I have got my eye on a Cayenne jacket and maybe pants but I'd like it to hold up a little better then this mesh jacket.
  5. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got some wear on the cuff of my infinity suit where it chafes the inside of my gloves' gaunlets.
  6. Jim Glauz

Jim Glauz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A chap advertized a Revit suit (Cayenne Jacket and Pants) on Craigs list, for free, just get them out of my garage he said. He was tired of looking at them and was frustrated with the company. The company did not stand behind the equipment he said. They were coming apart at the seams in numerous places. He bought the suit about 5 years ago. If I recall correctly after the first wash they started to come apart. He told me not to wash them as it caused the seams to unravel. I used the suit for a few months then sent them down the road to the next inmate looking for a free suit. That is my experiance with Revit .
  7. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't tag the edges of your superfabric on the Cayenne Pro with some contact cement, it'll lift off when you wash it. Yes, I washed it by hand, in cold water.

The two pictures on the right show a thin line of contact cement(applied with a toothpick). It is much easier to see on the black as I was lazy. The glue that was originally there washed away after the first wash. Eventually you will get what is on the bottom if you don't apply additional glue to the edges..
    [​IMG]

At its worst, you get this:

[​IMG]
    Notice anything missing?

The whole smaller "section" of superfabric lifted off. The picture isn't very good because I didn't want to drip water all over the floor, and I was too "WTF" to take another. Luckily I was able to iron them back on, but it didn't stop the corners from lifting over time. The reflective stripes will lift off too, but ironing them will keep them back on for a much longer time.

It was later replaced with two months left on the warranty for another problem. Since the warranty has run out on the original jacket (Warranty replacements don't get their own warranties right?), I am VERY careful washing it now.

Regardless, those damn corners lifted off the first time I washed the replacement. It was around then I figured out the contact cement trick. Kind of silly that I have to do this at all on a $580 jacket and $400 pair of pants though.

I am curious if they will have fixed this on the new Defender, as it has a LOT of corners on its superfabric!

Don't wash it :lol3
  8. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    My Air jacket is going strong as it nears the end of its second summer. The mesh has gotta bit fuzzy but other than that its been great, hope I didn't just jinx it. Had a few off-road biffs with it but no crashes on anything solid or at significant speed.

My rotor pants were nearly as old and worn maybe 1/4 as much, the knee blew out on a parking lot low side (too much throttle + too much lean goofing off), nary a scratch to me but I was surprised how quickly it gave out. Hope the jacket is better put together...
  9. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fabric on earlier Rev'it gear wasn't hot cut, hence the unraveling at seams. I don't know if the later gear is hot cut or not.
    Anyone know?
  10. matthelimech

matthelimech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sent an e-mail to revit to see if they will do anything. I like the gear, but if it won't hold up more than 2 years considering what it cost, I may consider BMW gear. I realize the warranty is only 1 year, but it shouldn't come unraveled this soon.
  11. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look like it, at least on my Cayenne Pro. At least some of the seams are overlocked now.

[​IMG]
  12. Badger278

Badger278 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey there inmates,

There are a few things that can lead to fabric unraveling. As you know, all cordura is a woven fabric which can be protected from unraveling in several ways.

We always coat the fabric (interior) with poly-urethane which in addition to providing some resistance against soaking, protects the integrity of the fabric seam allowance.

Unraveling is rarely caused by broken stitching, but occurs on the extra fabric near the inside edge. This PU coating is extremely sensitive to detergent, which breaks down the coating and can cause this problem.

This is the main reason that we recommend hand washing in a "special" soap such as Nikwax Tekwash. NOTE: The WORST thing you can do is use Woolite, as this causes complete disintegration of the PU coating.

We at REV'IT! have further assured against unraveling by using an overlock stitch on all cordura seams, on all clothing products for the last two years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Dakar pant was the last item in the collection which was prone to unraveling when washed incorrectly. This being said, we sold thousands of Dakar pants, and the number of warranty issues related to unraveling was less than .2 percent of the volume sold. That being said, we fully stand behind our products, and will gladly replace any item which has an unraveling issue which was not washed incorrectly (we can easily tell if the item was mishandled by inspecting the PU coating) providing that the pant is within the warranty period.

We have designed and produced products for all forms of riding and racing, and have seen just about every type of crash, snag or abuse. We endeavor to improve our products at every step, and a clear example is that the Sand pant, which replaced Dakar included many improvements including double fabric on the seat, overlock stitching, double and triple stitching on impact areas, bar tacks on high wear areas, improved liner connections, and several other improvements.

We understand that as a premier brand we are held to a high standard, and we have all confidence that our desire to improve will result in better products in all of the price ranges we support.

We employ an outside quality control firm SGS Controls http://www.sgs.com/ and every production run of every product is now checked against the quality standard we set. This has also been the case for two years.

Of course, every company has occasional warranty issues, but I give my promise that we will do everything in our power to provide a quick repair or replacement should an issue arise.

That being said, please remember that all clothing items are "wearable" items that over time will wear out. As an ADV rider myself, I know I can bend, break or ruin just about anything, so be gentle guys, and remember, we're a brand that loves and supports the sport, and all we ask in return is a little bit of understanding.

Cheers,
    Jordan
  13. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Wearable item? I don't know about that!

My Off Track / Dakar outfit has about 30,000 miles on it, including its share of get offs (all dirt) and other normal abuse. I've also hand washed them ... oh, every 8,000 miles or so ... maybe I should do that more frequently! But they're pretty stained, so they always look dirty, regardless of washing.

That said, they haven't had a single broken zipper, torn seam, or other sign of wear aside from the elastic loop that secures the collar getting stretched out. They are still as water-resistant as they ever were. (They were never waterproof -- anything short of a rain suit isn't when the rain really starts coming down.)

I am very, very impressed with this two-piece suit. :thumb
  14. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jordan, I washed my first Cayenne Pro(since replaced) in Nikwax's Techwash(cold water). I soaked it, went to lunch, and came back. It lifted the glue from the superfabric right off. Incidentally, it also lifted the seam tape from my Olympia AST right off too, but I washed that in hand hot water.

I had originally thought that it was the hot water that did it, but nope, Nikwax does a real good job of cleaning glue off, and the warning on their website is no joke.

Just some food for thought, since you guys are coming out with a new set using Superfabric.
  15. Badger278

Oddometer:
    It looks like we might have to evaluate recommending Nikwax then. I'll look into it straight away.

A cleaning product which removes glue? Every tent, ourdoor shell or motorcycle jacket uses glue on seams. Just what are they "Tek" washing then? :1drink

16. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Dakar pants are coming apart also. These are my second pair, the first set seemed to be of better quality but were destroyed in a slide. They had no signs of any sort of problem until the roadrash tore them up. They did well in that event with no seam failures either, just general rips and abraisions.

This second pair which were purchased to replace the first have stood up poorly. Several of the seams in the legs are failing and the interior one of the pockets has also pulled apart and is good for little else other than losing things. I've patched them up a bit as best I could myself as they are no longer under warranty. I've always washed according to the instructions.

My Off Track jacket which was purchased along with the pants is holding up fine with no indication of any failures or problems. Both have had exactly the same wear and treatment, so I suspect this is a manufacturing issue with the pants. None of the seams on the pants appear to have the overlock stitching, and on the ones that have failed, the fabric has clearly unravelled. Obviously relying on some sort of frail easily damaged coating to prevent this was a poor decision by Revit.

Since they are out of the warranty period I don't expect I'll get any repairs or replacement from Revit. I'll probably just look at replacing them with something else. I'll probably buy the BMW gear next time.
  17. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

Sport-Wash available at Wallyworld aka Chinamart aka Walmart, is a great USA made product to wash you gear in. My BMW RP2 suit has over 80K miles on it and only shows some fading, due to sunexposure, as a major wear issue aside from the velcro wearing out which is easily replaced by a good seamstress.
    I am not a huge fan of Nikwax products as a whole, because they are overpriced and don't nearly clean as well as they should for the money, the exception being their downwash for sleepingbags..
    I do use a large capacity frontloading laundry machine that has a sportsequipment washing cycle...

PS: I have zero vested interest in the Sport-Wash product..:deal
  18. Badger278

Oddometer:
    It might be the case that the first pair of Dakar were a later production date with overlock stitching, and the replacement pair was older stock.

In any case, we hope that you would consider the fact that we have improved the product (Sand Pant). Please contact me directly and we'll make it right. No need to threaten us with buying another brand or slam us online in order to get a response. We're good guys...really. Just call us, we don't bite. :)

19. StarFleet

StarFleet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something about someone from Revit addressing concerns makes me want to continue buying Revit gear.

Call me a sucker, but I love that kinda stuff.

Any of you folks over at Revit have any cayenne pro jackets *cough* that need taken off your hands *cough* ?
  20. Badger278

Oddometer:
    Not just someone at REV'IT! I'm a GS riding, Husky mudding, card carrying ADVrider. Oh, and the boss. ;)

The truth is, we love you guys. You're the ones who allow us to have such a bitchin job to ride to each day. So thanks for your support.