Official FZ6 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by lake_harley, Apr 12, 2012.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started this thread initially because of my enthusiasm after buying my FZ6. Shortly after starting the thread I thought it would be nice to have an "Official FZ6 Thread", so following a quick PM to GB, the moderator, he changed the title to reflect that new title.....Thanks GB! It sounded like at some point it may get merged with other FZ6 threads, so there's one depository for FZ6 enthusiasts and information about the bike. With that said and added today, 4/17/2012, I'll welcome you to the Official FZ6 Thread! Enjoy!

*The original post*......I Just picked up a 2005 FZ6 today. Found it this AM on craigslist, e-mailed right away (no phone number in ad), talked to the owner when he responded to my e-mail and bought it, all in about 7 Hrs. after his listing went up on CL. I was in such a hurry to leave to go look at the bike I got about 1 1/2 miles from my house and had to turn around and go back because I had left without the trailer :eek1. The seller said I beat the 2nd responder to the ad by about 20 minutes and he intended to go through them as received. It was a GOOD day!:clap

Over the last 6 years, I've had 17 or 18 bikes of all sizes, and in all sorts of condition. I think this bike will be with me for a while! It has "ride me in the Rockies" written all over it! I've been looking for a bike worthy of hanging my Cortech soft bags and tailbag over and taking them for some quality solo-touring time for quite a while and think THIS is the bike. It has fresh Michelin Pilot Power tires, new chain and sprocket(s) and less than 1K miles since a valve clearance check. I'll go through and check some things on the bike, make sure it has fresh oil and filter, just to be on the safe side, flush the brakes with fresh fluid and I'll be ready to ride!

So far I only rode it around the sellers neighborhood and then only barely fast enough to get it all the way up to 6th gear. I loved the feel of the bike. It did tight U-turns with the ease of a bicycle. It currently has 1" risers on the bars, but think I'll like it even better with the bars dropped back down to stock.

I feel like a kid again, even at 59 years old! Since it didn't really happen if there aren't any pictures I'll get some posted up in the next day or two.

Lynn
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats!!!

Big empty sweepers and moderately tight curves are where it really shines. Get it wound up in 2nd or 3rd and just go screaming out of the apex. I take mine down to the bluff country on both sides of the Mississippi up here and give it some exercise and blow the cobwebs out every couple of weeks. Gets a little congested in the city.

And yes, pics or it didn't happen. :deal
  3. lake_harley

Oddometer:
    Took the bike in for state inspection and license this morning which amounted to about a 30 mile ride. Rather chilly which had me already thinking of a Laminar Lip or some other slightly taller windshield to get just a bit more wind protection for touring. Taking the 1" risers off might help too, but the bike is really comfortable as-is. I really think this bike will be around a while. Footpegs and seat seemed a bit buzzy at 60-ish MPH, but nothing that will really be a big bother, I don't think, once I get used to the bike in general. I really like the ride-by-sight ease of the bike. The light handling feel reminded me of the '09 GSX-R600 I had about a year ago, only with a more relaxed riding position:D.

I was glancing through the manual last evening and saw that I should use 95 octane gas, using the ROM (?) method. All the gas pumps around here are labled by a R+M/2 method, with 93 octane premium (without ethanol) as the highest typical octane available. Regular unleaded is 87 octane, I think. Any input here? I filled it with the 93 octane for today, but would be glad to use the less expensive gas if the bike doesn't need the higher octane.

And....just to prove it really happened, I submit to you my new-to-me beauty.....(PS. I've really grown to appreciate center stands and was glad the FZ6 has one)

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  4. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike. Congrats.
  5. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Nice! The '04-'06 don't have as many windscreen options due to the wonky shape, but there are a few available. I favor being cold over buffeting so I just deal with it, I like the clean air that hits me about shoulder-height.

Regular gas. Page 3-9 of the '06 manual clearly states 'use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number [(R+M)/2] of 86 or higher'.
  6. JimStl

JimStl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats, it's a great looking bike!
    Might be getting one too here in the very near future, and I just might buy the risers from you if you do sell them.

I did some reading on the windshield on these bikes, you can do that here,
    http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/how-tos/6519-2006-windscreen-mod.html

And there is more discussion on the fz6 tech section of that forum.

Sounds like the arrow dynamics of the windscreen creates a pretty hard low pressure zone on the underside of the window and the area above the tank to below the shoulders. Guys are reporting some pretty strong buffeting. As I read it, one of the mods is to open up a hole in the windscreen to help elevate that low pressure area and this smoothes out the air hitting the body. Also, guys are chopping the windscreen down considerably, but that will just put more direct air flow on the body, all be it smoother air. That would be last resort for me. I'm going to try opening up a hole in the screen first and see how that goes.
  7. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I run a decent sized tank bag pretty much all the time, and I've never experienced that problem. As with most things, it will really depend on the rider's size, the way they choose to sit on the bike, and what else they change (like a tank bag, or not) that will change the airflow.
  8. R-A-M-O-N

R-A-M-O-N Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats i had a 2005 of my own and enjoyed every bit of it. A common windshield mod is actually chopping the screen to make it smaller not taller, that makes a more fluid flow of air and stops most of the buffeting at certain speeds. If you look at the fz6 forum you will find it without much hassle.
  9. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike! If I didn't want to get into the dirt, I'd still have mine for my daily rider. Put 26K on it before I sold it. Great bike!

I do remember running the cheap gas.

I didn't have any wind issues, I'm 6'2" and always ran with a medium size tank bag.
  10. lake_harley

Oddometer:
    Grainbelt and Worrell...thanks for the info on regular unleaded gas being OK. My octane info came from the Haynes manual that came with the bike, but I didn't get an actual owner's manual. I have to say though, I think unleaded premium smells better when it burns...makes a garage smell downright "racy" when you get ready to leave on a ride:lol3.

I look forward to riding the bike more to get a better idea of the wind and what it might feel like after a long day on a tour (providing I get away to do some). I'm not sure if what I noticed was actual wind or buffeting. I'll have to check it out but I think I'd get really tired of whatever it was on a long day....then again maybe I'll toughen up and/or get used to it. Anyway, I'm not trying to make a Goldwing out of it..... I have one of those already.

I stopped at the local Yamaha dealership today, just for grins. They showed a tour windscreen in a old accessory catalog, but a quick check had it listed as discontinued. I didn't even bother to see if they still had any chin fairings left over that the catalog listed at $299. I think one would look cool on the bike, but ouch!

Is there a on-going FZ6 thread here? I used the search on the forum but didn't find anything. If someone knows of one, please post a link to it.

Thanks

Lynn
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  11. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The $129 yamaha comfort gel seat makes a big difference in seat comfort. The fz6 is a super reliable bike and a lot of fun.

Here is a pic of mine with a few mods:

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  12. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2005 FZ6 with the oem touring shield. It keeps the wind off my torso in the winter but still causes some turbulence around my helmet. Earplugs are very helpful. The stock shield works well for the summer.

Good luck with your FZ6. It is a great bike, especially at 12 k rpm.
  13. lake_harley

Oddometer:
    I guess there's not a dedicated, on-going, "Official FZ6" thread, and now I wish I would have started this one with that heading. Any way of changing the heading?

Now that I've ridden my '04 FZ6 a little more I am growing accustomed to the wind. I can't say I really notice any particular turbulence, especially none that causes any helmet "bobble-head" problems. The wind noise is rather high (Nolan flip-up helmet), and I don't really like wearing earplugs, but I may try some again. Just to reduce the wind strain for the touring side of things I may buy a Laminar Lip though, or build something similar, to just get more overall protection and lessen the wind for comfort.

I have noticed the RPM surges a bit at idle. Bike performs beautifully otherwise and I thought at first it was just cold idle richening, but noticed it does it when the engine is warm too. Throttle bodies out of sync maybe?

I'm really liking this bike! All the power I want, but with the FZ6's more upright riding position it doesn't seem to tempt me to twist my right wrist quite as much as my GSX-R600 or 748 Ducati always did.

Lynn
  14. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    PM a moderator, GB is a good dude. :thumb
  15. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike! :thumb Looks good!
    It's pretty nice that it has a center stand, ought to make it a little easier for maintenance and such. I wonder how many 600cc sized bikes have them?
    Tony
  16. THB

THB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Well, now that it is all official, I guess I should whore mine out.

[​IMG]

2006 FZ6. Givi V35 sidecases and E470 topcase, motovation sliders, Zumo 450 GPS, typically running BT023 for tires.

I never have been able to figure out how to pack light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  18. lake_harley

Oddometer:
    TonyKZ1 - Thanks for the compliment. I agree the center stand is great. Parking in the garage will take less room with two other bikes and my wife can still get to her gardening stuff :D, and chain maintenance for sure will be easier! Still racking up the miles on your 250 Ninja I see, based on your comments on the 250 Ninja thread. It seems I saw a post that you were considering a different bike? The FZ6 I found was a lucky find, but required being quick otherwise it would have gotten away. I had considered other similar bikes including SV650, CBR - F series bikes and a few others. I really like the FZ6 so far!

THB - I've been over on the FZ forum, but for some reason it really runs slow on my computer (compared to ADVrider anyway). It certainly looks like it would be a great resource though. Thanks!

Lynn
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  19. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    In an effort to decrease buffeting, I cut 5" off my stock windscreen. The difference is dramatic. There is a thread with details HERE.
  20. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an '04 and actually had it for sale here but I keep flip flopping because it is a great bike, just needs a better seat lower pegs and some sidebags.
    I likely will end up keeping it but if I do I may have to sell a kidney to replace said parts.