Baltimore City Riders be Viligant

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by MotoJ, Nov 13, 2012.

1. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    I want to relate an incident that happened to me yesterday afternoon at the intersection of Belair Road and Erdman Ave, Northeastern District, Baltimore City.

I was driving my sidecar rig home from work about 4:30 yesterday afternoon, heading North on Erdman. When I stopped at the Bel Air red light intersection, I was accosted by kids from the bus stop, who jumped in and on the sidecar, ripped the tonneau cover, punched me in the back of the helmet, and blocked my path as I tried to get away. Most of the kids at the bus stop were middle schoolers in the khaki pants/sweater city uniform, but the kids actually laying hands on me were older teenagers in plainclothes.

I hit the horn and gunned the motor and they got out of my way, but I was pelted by trash and soda cans as I maneuvered around the car in front of me, and I almost got hit by traffic heading east on Belair as I made the right onto Belair myself. One kid was still on the back of the sidecar and jumped off when I hit the gas.

Luckily this was all being monitored in real time by an officer manning the intersection camera. Squad cars showed up moments after I left the scene, and two arrests were made.

I almost didn't bother calling it in, figuring nothing would happen if I did, but after I calmed down, I called. The police recognized my story right away, and were very happy I reported the incident, so they could charge the two they had in custody. Evidently BCPD has been watching that corner for awhile. The officer told me that realistically, not much might happen to these kids, but because I came forward they will be in the system, and next time they get nicked (and they will) something will stick.

I have no doubt if they had dragged me off they would have tried to drive away on the rig, and maybe stomped me, too. I'm doubly sure if I had been riding my little 250 dual sport solo I would have been toast. So, moral of my story: beware of large groups while on your bike, always plan an escape route in the back of your mind, and definitely report it if you have a problem.
  2. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer:
    Sadly that is not the first story of that type I have heard in the Baltimore area. I have family in the area one is in law enforcement (Federal) he has told me of at least 2 cases where Bikes were stolen when 3 or more people aproached a rider and pulled him off the bike while another rides off on the bike. They were adults and not kids though. Still....

Glad you are not injuried and did file a report.

Ray
  3. mica

mica Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With the exception of Interstate 95, I have only ridden in the city once and that was to the Harbor. I would be reluctant to drive or ride in any part of the city were the police have camera's to monitor for crime.

Glad it didn't turn out as bad as it might have. Mount some pepper spray on the side of your bike maybe?
  4. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    :yikes

Glad you're alright.
  5. pbharvey

pbharvey Tagoholic

Oddometer:
    ...you were only a few miles from the Maryland Tag.

They should be charged with attempted car-jacking.
  6. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Actually one had a car-jacking arrest, but no charges filed.
  7. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    glad youre ok. please press charges for assault with intent to kill, car jacking, hate crimes, littering, racketeering, vandalism etc.
  8. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    they wouldnt try that in VA.....we pack heat.:evil
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuckin' low life scum. Baltimore is a shithole 'burg that has little to offer and I avoid it whenever possible. Glad things turned out OK.
  10. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:

There are some great people, places, and things to do in Baltimore. There's a healthy motorcycle community, especially vintage riders.
    But where it's bad, it's really bad.
    There was a pretty good resurgence going on, but then the economy tanked, and the blight started creeping back.
    Plus there's a big population that just doesn't seem to be able to get it together.
  11. yuu

yuu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, watch out especially if you're on a more Dirt Bike looking DS or Enduro. Lots of missing dirt bikes from the surrounding areas seem to be ending up in Balto.

Head on a swivel and ensure for escape routes. Too bad that sort of planning is necessary...
  12. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    No doubt. Still waiting to go to court against two youths caught at 1 in the afternoon trying to saw through the chain locking my KLR250 a few months ago. Same bike was stolen the previous summer and recovered after the thieves abandoned it when it ran out of gas. They stabbed both new tires and vandalized the bodywork just for fun.

Jeez, after typing that I wonder- why am I in this hellhole?
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are nice people in prison as well. I was born and raised in Bawlmer and it's fucking sad what has happened. I prefer to go where I don't have to seek out safe areas.
  14. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And they're trying to outlaw abortion.:eek1
  15. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder why?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p1C4A-D6p1M?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
  17. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Nah, just tear down a bunch of the derelict properties & turn it into a dirtbike park. Give them a good gnarly jump to play on all day & they'd probably stay out of traffic.
  18. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to work in Baltimore, tearing down derilict row houses a block at a time. When I moved away from the festering shit-hole, I swore that I would never work in that 'knife and gun club' ever again.
    I haven't been back in 15 years. If I have any business in the area I don't go inside of the beltway, and I always pack a little heat if I have to go within a 5 mile radius outside of the beltway, and I never, never take the bike.
    Very dangerous, very dangerous indeed. Stay away, and if you live there leave as soon as you can. Baltimore has no redeeming qualities.

Hey Baltimore!!! :dizave
  19. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lived in the DC suburbs for 25-30 years and got to Baltimore occasionally. Inner Harbor, Orioles games, Painters Mill, etc. Those kinds of things. Been gone from the area since the late 80s. Had to go back recently to pick up a vehicle for my son - northeast side of town in Joppa. GPS routed me through downtown coming back to avoid the tunnel. Without question, I have never wanted to get the fuck out of any town in a hurry as I did that day. Truly unnerving. Not a chance in hell I'll ever get near that cesspool again.
  20. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin Boxer Freak

Oddometer:
    Found this nugget on AR15.com:
    Regardless of what you are on/ in, take care. DC used to be like this on some areas, not as bad today. Not safe, just not as bad.