Current ride totalled/stolen - would you buy the same again?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by j_csquare, Nov 25, 2012.

1. j_csquare

j_csquare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some people recon that it is the ultimate test of satisfaction with a car/ bike if you are willing to do it all over again.

I'll start. When the time comes, I won't be replacing my ZX-14 with another, not even a ZX-14R. I would happlily trade some of the excess power for lighter weight and better handling.

[​IMG]

My second car is a little 4wd Suzuki Jimny. It is pretty slow, lacks power steering and has a rock-hard suspension. However, I would buy the same car in a flash. It is 100% reliable, cheap to run, and built like a little Tonka truck. I love it!

[​IMG]
  2. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been there done that no regrets. 11 years/100,000+km with the bike my insurance paid for.
  3. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    my r100gs was stolen/ recoverd and i was able to buy it back. as the insurances comp deemed it to costly to fix.

just got a new lock set and then rode off.

if your bike was doing what you wonted then buy a 2rd one or get a diffrent bike as a change.
  4. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I would replace my NC700X with another, I only have about 3800 miles on it though. I love the fuel mileage, and planned on adding all the stuff that I wanted. I'm almost half way there now.
  5. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    Probably not.

I totaled the ST1300 I had only had for 3 months, but when looking for a replacement I went for a bike that I thought would address the ST's few shortcomings.

Life's too short to ride the same road twice.
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    No. With very few exceptions I don't buy repeats. Too many other fun vehicles out there to experience.
  7. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I was only able to enjoy my Guzzi Stelvio NTX for 2 months and 5200 miles before a deer took it (and me) out. I'll be buying another.

Normally I have bike ADD and would look at something else. Didn't get enough seat time to bond with the bike, but I liked what I had so far.
  8. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've put 18,000 miles on my Wee and more than 17,000 on my Bonny SE.

If the Wee were stolen (fat chance), I'd replace it with the 2012 Wee.

If the Bonny were stolen, I'd seriously consider a Street Triple R.

NFE
  9. SnappNBrrap

SnappNBrrap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If something happened to my FZ6 i dont think i would buy another as my only ride. that said its fantastic and one of the best bikes ive ever ridden. nothing super great but everything well and always seems to put a smile on my face.

i would buy something a little bigger, i think, like a VFR800 or maybe a Tiger 800xc, but ive got dirt bikes and i get my fix of off-road riding on those.
  10. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    NC700XA

I would instantly buy it again, not even a second thought. :D
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Change is Good.
  12. whipit1k

whipit1k Long timer

Oddometer:
    would definately buy another DL1000 V-strom. a used one. It is not that it is an exciting bike, it is very capable, comfortable, and used vstroms are a screamin deal, I see nice DL1000's on a daily basis for 4 grand or less. Definately the best deal in the adventure bike world
  13. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it wasn't for the existence of the Sprint GT, I would have replaced my stolen ZX14 with another. I researched a lot of bikes, and it came down to another ZX or the Sprint GT. GT won because of factory luggage, better 2-up ergos, and much better MPGs. If my GT bites the dust I'd find another one just like it.
  14. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sort of. I would testride a few more bikes that I haven't tried yet, to be sure, but currently the top of my list if I had to replace my Ducati Monster would be a Ducati HyperMotard -- mechanically and functionally similar, but updated and with a more fun riding position and slightly better passenger accommodations.

PhilB
  15. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    Current ride is an '04 SV650S. Other than an fuel delivery/electrical issue I've been chasing down for a month, I've not had any reliability problems, the chassis feels very planted; espcially after I got the front and rear suspension sorted, and it has enough power and torque to be very streetable around town. I'm very happy with the 70-100 hp mark assuming the bike isn't a pig.

That said, the riding position is only marginally better than a full-on super sport and it spits some awful turbulent air at my helmet at highway speeds. The seat feels pretty atrocious after about 60 minutes as well.

A lot of these can be fixed, but I think I want something else.

I don't think I'd make a repeat purchase unless I could honestly say I've found the perfect bike for me. Since I don't think such an animal exists, I'll probably be on a different ride with each new (probably used) purchase.

I'm seriously looking into something like a Striple when I'm in a better position financially, and when I've used up the brand-fucking-new set of tires on my SV that I put on a day before it started dying on me.
  16. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my sv but i don't think i'd use the money for another, i'm thinking i'd go for a fz1 or i'd have to test ride but maybe a fjr thou in all reality my bikes value is so little to those i'd be bikeless for a few years probaly.
  17. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You betcha! Unfortunately Zook is not importing the GSX 650 anymore. I'm actually looking into getting one from our neighbors to the north, where a new one with ABS is available.
  18. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    I guess I'd have to say no. I sold my K1300S awhile back to put a little money in the bank. It was the finest motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden. Loved everything about it. I'm now on the search for something less expensive. What I've found in the past months of being bikeless, is that I'm free to look around a little...and what I've gravitated toward surprised even me. Total opposites in design and power delivery from my K13, as a rule.

There are just too many bikes I'd like to ride, and time is too limited to get hung up with a single style. But that's me. I can understand that if its only the ride that matters to a certain rider, and the machine itself is a tool, rather than a part of the experience, that one might want to just find what he likes and stick with it.
  19. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    The only bike I bought twice was a Honda ST1100. I had a 91 and an 01. Many miles cross-country on each. Both were great bikes, but by the time I sold the 01 a few years ago I realized it wasn't the 90s anymore. Time to move on.

I'd probably buy another Guzzi given the amazing progress they've made since I bought my Jackal in 99. These bikes have so much character that it's a love/hate relationship that can be addicting. I'm looking at a Cali 1400 fondly.
  20. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. I'm on the hunt for a Griso currently, and have dreams of a 1400 later as funds grow and the 1400's depreciate. :lol3