Grand Junction area Rides & Riders thread

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Greg@RME, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I'm going to try put it back together with the lowering link, as much as I don't want to. No luck finding a replacement and I really don't want to pay dealer cost for a trivial part that is a common take-off.
  2. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you're back in for the Saturday excursion to the San Juans?
  3. Greg@RME

Oddometer:

I'm going to try, but not sure how successful I will be at getting it all back together. I haven't had a chance to work on it yet, lots going on this week. I can't make any guarantee at this point, so I'm playing it by ear.
  4. benjamin1031

Oddometer:
    6am at Randy's diner in orchard Mesa on Saturday if anyone is interested.
  5. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Spent the morning working on my bike, it's back together again and I'm IN for this Saturday! See you at 6 AM at Randy's Diner. :ricky

Bike isn't raised back up, but at least it's back together.
  6. benjamin1031

Oddometer:
    Sweet!! See you there!:clap
  7. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to bring a waterproof jacket, with these high clouds we've been having there is a VERY good chance for afternoon thunderstorms in the San Juans! We may get a little wet!
  8. benjamin1031

Oddometer:
    Going to be epic!
  9. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    What a DAY! I ended up with over 320 miles on the bike... around 14 hours of riding and several high mountain passes crossed. We (Ben on the XRR and I) rode from GJ (picked up ColoST on a BMW in Delta) and on to Red Mountain Pass, where we split off at Corkscrew Gulch over California Pass, down to Animas Forks, up and over Cinnamon Pass to Lake City for lunch at Poker Alice. After lunch we headed up Engineer Pass and down the Alpine Loop and on home!

Ended up running into 2 groups of ADV'ers... some Denver locals that were finishing up a multi-day ride, and a couple of Californians who were riding the TAT... but had some bad luck, ending the ride for one of them in Colorado. :(:

Here's way too many of my pics... :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. benjamin1031

Oddometer:
    Amazing ride!! I had such a blast even though I fell down... A lot... Thanks for being patient with me! We'll have to do it again!!
  11. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Thanks for planning the trip, Ben! I had an absolute blast riding up Corkscrew, too much fun! You did great considering how steep, rocky & loose much of that terrain was. I bet next time you go out riding you will find you're way more comfortable in the nasty stuff.

Black Bear & Imogene on the next ride?? :evil
  12. benjamin1031

Oddometer:
    How's about Imogene and Ophir?? I love black bear but not sure I'm over my "falling down" stage yet.
  13. ColoST

ColoST Colo Single Track

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the day trip, appreciate the short notice pickup. Had a good time and always nice to meet up with fellow adv'ers. Until next time, safe travels....
  14. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Anytime Andy, it was a pleasure riding with you!
  15. benjamin1031

Oddometer:
    Happy trails to you as well Andy!!! A pleasure riding with you!
  16. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for a 'dirtbike' ride this weekend? I want to get the 300 out into the Fruita Desert, ride up into the Bookcliffs and back down 21 Road. It's an absolute blast.... if you like rocky, technical riding. :ricky

I can do Friday, Sat or Sunday... probably going to get out early in the morning and be done by 11 AM or so.
  17. motoracer51

motoracer51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta find a dirtbike!
  18. Greg@RME

Oddometer:

Isn't the XRR just a big dirt bike? :evil

The desert singletrack isn't very difficult, it's very open and flowing. Some hill climbs, but nothing crazy.

21 Road is technical, but going down isn't that bad... may require some careful clutching here & there, but down is much easier than up. You can usually launch off the rocks and really play around.

Here's a vid of myself and a friend coming down 21 Road-

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MeK0uxZoz-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. GJMark

GJMark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful video! Looks like a fantastic ride. I've got a DR650 completely stock and I'm not an extremely skilled off-road rider. Would the ascent up Hunter Canyon be a little much for a heavier bike and novice rider?

I see you have a DR650 also. Did you change the gearing for better off-road?...and if so, what sprockets did you use?
  20. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark! Yeah, riding UP Hunter Canyon on a big DR650 would probably prove to be too much for a rider that doesn't have much off-road experience. You can pick the easy lines for the first 60% of the trail, but eventually it's just BIG boulders. I prefer to ride up 16 Road, over the Bookclifffs and then down 21 Road (Hunter Canyon). Riding down is much easier.

I sold my DR last Summer, but I did gear it down... I went from a 15 tooth counter sprocket to a 14 tooth. It improved offroad ability and didn't effect high speed riding at all.