DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there.

I had a 4.5 Kenda K270 on the rear and I ordered a 4.6 by mistake, I had to use it as I live far away from a bike store and was going on a multiday ride.

Funny I thought that number was the width but the 4.6 looked like a pedal bike tire versus the previous 4.5 (on the Kenda web site the 4.6 is 4.3" wide versus the 4.5 = 4.8" and the 5.1 = 5.2").

So what are the advantages/disadvantages of going with a wider tire on the DR350?

Will I get more tire tread life with more rubber on the ground (I got about 4500 miles out of the 4.6 rear)?

Will I feel a power loss with running more rubber?

I do like that the 4.5 has 6 plys versus only 4 on the 4.6x18'. The max PSI is 40lbs on the 4.5 versus 32lbs on the 4.6 and 5.1 as well.

Does the 5.1 fit okay and are there any advantages going that big (other than more max load)?

Thanks!
  2. hennikerjd

hennikerjd I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer:
    I am running the 5.10 now and I think the tire is too big. While it does physically fit (a little close on the exhaust side on my bike) it is much heavier than the 4.10 (too small) it replaced. Taller too, it changed my final drive ratio (500rpm lower at 60mph) and it seems to make the bike a little sluggish. That might be my imagination though :dunno

I will be switching to more of a full knobby when this one wears out and definitely scrapping the 270 front (hate it!). If I ever switch back to a 270 rear I wouldn't go with the 5.10 again, it is just too much tire for the 350 IMHO.
  3. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know anything about the 4.6 or 5.1. But I've been using the 4.5 for years and I love it. I also like that the 4.5 has a deeper tread depth.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  4. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 3-week trip out West on my ZRX - I was trying to sell the DR before the trip, but there were so many moments on the trip where I caught myself wishing that I was on the DR instead that I've decided to keep the DR and will be selling the ZRX instead. Pretty much the only place I was glad I was on the ZRX was the high-speed freeway slog out to Nebraska.

I do still think I'd prefer a DR650 because I feel a bit too big for the 350, but for now I'm hanging on to the 350. Gonna spoon new tires onto it this week, change the oil, check the valves, and put some miles on it.
  5. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    This past weekend I rode the DR350 to Nevada for an invitational ride. The riding was great (no, FANTASTIC) at the event and the DR350 performed very well. There were plenty of orange bikes and DR-Z 400 machines there (and better riders). But I hung in there just fine with my DR350 and mediocre skills. I would not have wanted a heavier nor more powerful machine.

Slogging it 500 miles each way on pavement still isn't my idea of the best way to spend time on a DR350. But it did it without complaint.

Long live the mighty DR350!!! :>

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  6. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    thanks greg.
    i still want the front wheel & stock gas tank.
  7. lakser

lakser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    When ever I strip out a metric Allen, I can usually get a standard sized Allen in there. I have made the comment of tapping it in place, and have been corrected by people telling me that the back of the plug will blow out. Since the plug is basically toast, and you have the cover off, might as well try. Just don't tap it in that deep. Some of the stripped allen bolts I have salvaged this way I have continued to use. I just have to use a Standard sized Allan tool every time I wan to remove it.
  9. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. lakser

lakser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks thats what I was thinking.
  11. hennikerjd

hennikerjd I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer:
  12. lakser

lakser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ahh good to know.
  13. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will fit if you change the wheel bearings for the 17mm axle. I just did this when I put the DRZ 250 forks on, it's the same forks.
  14. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    I did a few more things to my DR. God I love this bike.

[​IMG]

I made a tool tube sized to hold my shortest tire irons. I'm going to rework the bracket soon but it works for now.

[​IMG]

And mounted a 14 tooth sprocket and RK sealed MX chain.

[​IMG]

The factory front sprocket cover is hideous and looks like a mud trap (not that we've had any mud lately) so I decided to take matters into my own hands.

First I traced its pattern onto this aluminum and cut it out roughly with a Dremel.

[​IMG]

Did some shaping with a bench grinder.

[​IMG]

Marking and drilling holes.

[​IMG]

I ran out of drill juice so I starting working on the finish. I'll resume when the battery is charged.

[​IMG]

It's a whole 3/10 of an ounce lighter too! LoL.

I've got it on the bike now using an assortment of random hardware but its it's to dark to get a good picture. I'm picking up some aluminum tubing at Lowe's tomorrow and making spacers.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
  15. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it. I think I'll do the same, but I'll leave the big hole in the center so you can still get the circlip off to change front sprockets.
  16. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    ff can't change the front sprocket without removing the guard. There is a mesh screen in that hole stock.
  17. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There won't be when I get done with it.
  18. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I with you Gregory, back to the 4.5. The 4.6 had only 11mm of tread depth. A buddy bought a Shinko 700 for his KLR rear and it only had about 9.

Also regards.
  19. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Oh are you running the 6 tooth? You should be able to fit it through fine.
  20. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    You'll need a mighty big hole to do that. Good luck.

I'm hoping the open bottom will allow mud to be pushed down and out instead of piling up in the cover.

Sent from my HTC using magic.