Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?

1. YES it should be made legal

2. YES but ONLY on the Hwy

3. YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections

4. NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone with a different opinion is an idiot?
  2. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    In this particular case, yes.
  3. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I have split lanes with abandon in California, and with trepidation around N.Y.C., I see a world of hurt coming down if it becomes widespread.
    That is of course until basic civility is taught to millions of macho cagers who already hate bikes.
    Example 1. The first race at the Ky. Speedway , I'm coming up the hill from the ohio River and get to the end of a line of cars miles from the track. I'm on a air cooled bike , it's summer and hot. So, after a few minutes waiting and creeping , I pull out and start upo the hill.
    I had dickheads cut out over the line with their front fenders, open doors, and shout the sort of thing you never hear in church. Sure, they were stuck and frustrated, but would it really have been better for them to have me cook my motor and suffer with them?
    I got by them all and was waved into the track and to the preferred bike parking right behind the stands. it felt like a victory for presevereing in the face of the enemy.
    You think it's just the southern Redneck attitude that causes problems ?
    No , I was in N.Y.C.visiting and ended up in the Long Island crawl heading to Hicksville. So ,I started easeing between the cars and trucks, mostly I hear shouts and the oiccaisional blast of horn, but sometimes people far enough ahead would see me coming in their mirrors and jut a fender out into my path.
    Love for fellow man ? Not on Long Island. The worst was a Pathfinder driver who nearly took me out. He's the only one that was given the universal, You're #1 signal.
  4. Prettyboy

Prettyboy I drink and I know things

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure yet. Seems to me that it would be extremely easy to abuse, given the way bikes are treated as toys around here, but it apparently works great in third world countries (like California), so there's that.
  5. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had that much of a problem splitting here in DFW. I am past 99% of the cars before they even know I am there (Wee-Strom stock pipes). I have had a few horn honks, and an occasional redneck sticks his fender out.
    I have never had a car try to pinch me off, only trucks. And always had plenty of warning. Never had a door open on me yet.

Haven't heard that much yelling or ADV salutes, but then again I wear earplugs:lol3. I am so focused on my lane-splitting, that I am really not looking at people, except for in their mirrors.

If you see a face in their mirror watching you, watch out. If it's attached to a jacked-up redneck truck really watch out:deal

Again most people are too involved in their personal electronic toys to even notice, except Bubba in his redneck truck, I guess he has no toys.:lol3
  6. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I split regularly in akron, The only time i get pinched is when traffic is at a standstill. I'm gone before most people even realize i'm there.

Lots of honks and yelling though once i'm already past them though.
  7. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh he'll yea we're a third world country.
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

:nod
  9. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two more! JfC!
  10. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    its more important that we preserve states rights to enable traffic laws and not the feds

I say yes to 50 states passing laws individually , I say no to the feds passing a law
  11. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. And 100% agreed.

The question, as asked though, did not specify a federal action, or any details of *how* it should be made legal in all 50 states -- it just asked if it should be legal in all 50 states. So I voted "yes", because I think it should be. I agree with you that it should all happen at the state level.

PhilB
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, ON a State by State level. We are a Republic after all and I am a believer in the 10th amendment. :D

Places like Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas have little need as they do not really have the traffic issues found in the more populated areas.

IMO the safest way to implement it would be to first allow filtering in stopped traffic for a year or two then open it up to splitting. This would help other road users get comfortable with having bikes pass by in close proximity.

(When I feel it is justified for my safety, I do it anyway)
  13. Michael

Michael Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding to work on 295 a few weeks ago. Traffic was moving along at 50 MPH or so and then cam to a VERY abrubt stop. I stopped without incident and then after a second or so moved over to the dotted white line to begin splitting. As I did so i heard tires screeching and a car rear ended the car behind me, knocking it forward into the car ahead of me. If I had remained in my lane I would have been the meat in a metal and meat sandwich - the impact on the car ahead of me was enough to cave in its bumper.

Graphic proof of that study that says lane splitting reduces rear end accidents!
  14. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    As a former Cheyenne resident, you have NO IDEA how bad traffic is there!

It absolutely sucks out loud

for a few minutes!

:D

65k people in the state's capitol. :clap The worst bit is getting on/off Davis Monthan AF base.

M
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Historically, the concept of lane splitting has been a regional issue with AMA members and motorcyclists in general. Where it is in widespread practice – California – the AMA endorses the concept and applauds the guidelines recently issued by the California Highway Patrol.

While lane splitting may be of interest in certain states, in many states riders have not identified lane splitting as a priority issue. In these cases, AMA members, clubs, and MROs are focusing their limited resources on ending motorcycle-only checkpoints, fighting raids on rider education funds, and defeating universal helmet laws, to name a few.

The AMA’s practice at the state level has been to support the efforts of motorcyclists that are consistent with AMA positions. Although the AMA Board of Directors has not adopted a formal position statement on lane splitting, the surge of interest in some states following the CHP’s recent issuance of guidelines has given the AMA board cause to revisit this issue. The AMA staff is currently preparing background information to assist the board with its decision.

While the AMA did not advocate openly or work behind the scenes in the case of the Nevada legislation, the AMA agrees with lane-splitting legislation that is not encumbered with conditions that discriminate against motorcyclists, such as rider training or additional insurance requirements.

Regarding the negative perception of motorcyclists, the AMA — since its inception in 1924 — has fought these negative perceptions and has strongly advocated responsible use.

For example, one of the most pervasive negative perceptions held by the general public concerns the issue of excessive motorcycle sound. AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman said as much in a 2009 interview: “The single greatest threat to motorcycling in America — both on- and off-highway, including ATVs — is excessive exhaust sound.” You can read the complete interview here: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/669/2...A-Outlines-Position-on-Sound-Regulations.aspx. The AMA board has also adopted a position statement on excessive sound. You can view it, as well as all of the AMA position statements, at http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/positionstatements.

There is an emerging issue that feeds the public’s negative perception of motorcyclists: “stunting” on public roads, which includes illegal activity by individual riders or groups of riders performing wheelies, stopping traffic, etc. In fact, in states where the practice of lane splitting is not legal, many motorists view lane splitting as stunting. Of note, there are AMA members living in states that do not permit lane splitting that oppose legalizing the practice because they are concerned about reinforcing the negative image of riders held by motorists… some even fear retribution by car and truck drivers. So state-by-state, the legalization of lane splitting faces significant hurdles.

From: http://lanesplittingislegal.com/lan...responds-to-questions-on-ab236-lane-splitting
  16. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that's why the AMA gets none of my cash.
  17. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which "that", Jim? Dakez' post contains a great many of those word thingies about the AMA...
  18. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    The whole thing was a series of excuses for why they aren't lobbying for lane-splitting. I mean, they would rather lobby against helmet laws, for fuck's sake.
  19. vaexplorer

vaexplorer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in VA and would love it be legal. I mentioned it to an MSF Ridercoach when we taught a class a few weeks ago and was surprised he was against it. I'm not holding my breath it will ever happen in Virginia.
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod