PDX Off Pavement Ride

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by matloik, Nov 7, 2009.

1. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    Portland Area Off Pavement Rides

SEE THE END OF THIS THREAD FOR CURRENT RIDES
    I've long since stopped updating this post
  2. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    A few of us are meeting at 10 am on Sat 11/14 in NW Portland, heading out toward Scappoose and into the hills from there -- for some off-pavement riding. It'll probably be too sloppy for anything too technical, so mx skills not necessary, not that I have any anyway. :lol3

Turn those grip heaters on and join us. PM me for meet-up location.
  3. WB-PDX

WB-PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm all packed up, so I guess I am in. :D Part of me wants to wuss out.

I do need to be back home by 2:30... But I don't think I have enough layers to ride much longer than that anyway. :D
  4. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Post up pics and info...

In a week or two I'll be looking to have some fun on the bike formerly known as Fugly :nod Just gotta finish detailing it back together and get a few oil changes under it's belt.
  5. Squirrels

Squirrels SoloSquirrel

Oddometer:
    It's going to be cold on the hands. Lets find something tight and technical (read slow) to stay warm.
  6. WB-PDX

WB-PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got my mitts + heated grips... I'm more worried about the rest of me! :eek1
  7. Squirrels

Squirrels SoloSquirrel

Oddometer:
    The XT has a heated engine, and that's it.
  8. miah66

miah66 Pathfinder

Oddometer:
    All ye are brave souls...

Unfortunately my bike fell over in the garage and shattered my windshield and bent my handlebars. I am saving up do the risers + hi-rise bars + grip heaters + electrical outlets + taller windscreen conversion...all at the same time. That's about $350, so I'm on the shelf until then. Have fun and don't freeze your fingers off. (or other important appendages):rofl
  9. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    Good ride! There were five of us -- matloik, WB-PDX, Squirrels, mtbdemom, and TwoDuckDad. And it didn't really seem that cold, even though we hit some snow at 2000'. I think we all dressed appropriately, no one complained -- except somebody, who will remain un-named (WB), said something about water inside his $15 Craigslist boots. Only pic I have is at the meet up:

Attached Files:

10. WB-PDX

WB-PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, here is some complaining - I froze my ass off on the way back on the highway. I made it back *just* in time. My wrist is fine now, but I think I did something to my shoulder during my crash. No bueno.
  11. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    That's right -- the "off-road" part of the ride that WB went for. Didn't realize that you got a bit twisted up on that corner you straightened out. Hope you didn't get tweaked too bad.
  12. WB-PDX

WB-PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    No pics, it never happened.

I wish there were pics, because that was my best crash yet. :evil
  13. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad your OK, if your books are leaking (and ya can't fix them) go to Andy and Bax and get some waterproof socks.......they'll keep your feet nice and dry.
    Remember, if just one part of you gets cold..............your whole body feels cold.
  14. Squirrels

Squirrels SoloSquirrel

Oddometer:
    <center>
    Snow around 2008 feet elevation.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd like to point out I was the one who road off the outside of a corner first. I just happened to choose a better spot. Though WB-Pdx chose some nice logs to stop his trip down the hillside.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just when you thought I didn't get the picture before we pulled the bike out...

[​IMG]

I also low-sided with grace after choosing the wrong line for my speed through a mud section. My (borrowed) XT600 suffered no damage until I dropped it over the side stand while parking on an incline. I bent the bars and broke a mirror. Oh well, we had a blast and made it out.

Wade, I hope you're not too sore tomorrow.
    </center>
  15. WB-PDX

WB-PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the crash-scene-reconstruction!
  16. TwoDuckDad

TwoDuckDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the photos. Did you get one of the guy who submerged his truck? Interesting how I was a bit sore today. I guess there are some muscles that aren't getting a workout at the gym. Darn glad I had heated grips. Those things are sweet!
  17. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    Yep, here's what those two poor blokes had to deal with. When we rode by again as we were leaving, they had been pulled out and I stopped and heard them try to turn it over -- clak, clak, clak.

Attached Files:

18. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gawd that guy on the orange bike is good looking! Looks to be his best side too!!! That bike is AWESOME as well!!!!
  19. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey next time you guy`s do this let me know I need some riding buds ,I have a pretty Orange Bike :evil
  20. WB-PDX

WB-PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I was anxious to get out of there; that green truck was a State Police vehicle with a very annoyed looking officer inside. I didn't think it was smart to hang out and gawk.

Also, how about running up on those guys with the automatics in the fog?

It was quite a eventful ride considering we were just bombing around outside of Scappoose!