XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    here you go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the oil cooler was a setrab cooler fitted with XRP lines and fittings (at $500US)

I got the cooler from precision concepts when they were cleaning out a few ex HRC parts.

I also run a full CR250 front brake system.

my mechanic in mounting it welded a casing to it so it mounts straight to the triple clamps.

it really cools the engine and also adds about a 800ml in engine oil capacity.

any more questions just ask me
  2. xr-nut

xr-nut Out Ridin' Around

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]here is my 2001 "L", src goodies up front, jagg oil cooler, fmf powerbomb and "Q" muffler, protapers and src hand guards, stainless brake lines, src skid plate, fredette chain block, ims tank, flatlander pegs, baja designs led tail lite, almost 12k on ticker! forgot to ad: mikuni 41mm, k&n, smog crap gone.
  3. xr-nut

xr-nut Out Ridin' Around

Oddometer:
  4. razcob

razcob Dromedary

Oddometer:
    Jagg oil cooler. :clap
  5. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Buell Ulysses today and noticed that it and the XB12 both have a nice oil cooler on them. They also have a plastic scoop to get more air into it which seems like a good idea. The mounting looked nice and I asked the parts girl about it and she looked it up. $121 ! not too bad, those Jagg ones are expensive and this looks just like some of them. I think I'll either go this route or the XR400 one from Service Honda.
    [​IMG]
    merc16 likes this.
  6. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like that air scoop. It looks like it could offer protection from flying stuff.
  7. enzorover

enzorover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I use this set-up. I really like it. I think it looks nice, it carries LOTS of stuff, if you make it face front you get a nice backrest with a little rack over the tail light, if you make it face back you have full use of the seat and it's waterproof.

As mattmbishop said it's not designed for rough off roading, but I dare say there are better bikes for such a purpose too (not trolling...just an opinion), but I've taken it down fireroads complete with little jumps and bumps with no problems at all. I would go so far to say that it's more crash survivable than panniers because nothing sticks out. It's also easy on your subframe if you have it face front. And if you're really whoo-ah (Army speak for gung-ho if you didn't know) you can still put panniers on. Another downer might be that the weight is carried fairly high but it's definately no worse than carrying a passenger. One could also say it's not secure but all you have to do is undo two snappy clip thingies and take it off.

The L-brackets have two tabs. One goes under the blinker mount and the other bolts on about 4 inches forward of it. The right side forward mount is about 6 inches forward.
  8. enzorover

enzorover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's another pict of the smaller "sissy bar" you get with the kit.

Basically it's just a grab bar for a passenger and a rack. If I were going to do any serious trail riding this is what I'd put on. Venture also makes a little day bag that mounts on it the same as the big bags.
  9. mattmbishop

mattmbishop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turning the Ventura bag forward is the ticket for riding on the road alright. With some highway pegs at the front I reckon that's about as comfortable as you can make the XRL!

Some of them Oil cooler ideas look damn good, might have to give that some thought in future.

Yep, it's an acerbis tank and I've stuck rubber sheet into the knee recesses. I reckon it helps a little with grip in the wet. And it breaks the whiteness as well.

Bike's '98 with about 16,000 miles at present. I'm plannin' on putting alot more on in the next short while tho!

Some more photos:

Rear rack showing back mount (kinda). I welded a tab onto the bottom of the sub-frame and bolted thru it. The rear of the rack bolts onto the existing mud-guard frame.
    http://webset.co.nz/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=47.0;id=50;image

Subframe reinforcement. I used flat to triangulate the subframe.
    http://webset.co.nz/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=47.0;id=51;image

Now, my rack was reasonably rural in comparison to Doug's, one of the guys coming with me to Aussie. He spent days bending up his frame, and it looks more like a bloody work of art than a rack ...

http://webset.co.nz/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=47.0;id=26;image

Finished product:
    http://webset.co.nz/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=47.0;id=42;image

And, just in, an action shot of the above bike from the weekend:
  10. BCK_973

BCK_973 AGUANTE EL RIPIO CARAJO!

Oddometer:
    W&N shield cut a bit just over the lampcover to fit better.Painted in blue to imitate the Honda design.Put two indicators on it.Very easy to take off and ride as stock.
    KH
  11. BCK_973

Oddometer:
    side
  12. BCK_973

Oddometer:
    look from the instruments
  13. Mr Kawasaki

Mr Kawasaki Sardonios Irritatus

Oddometer:
    It's back. Well, what's left of it anyway. :lol3

[​IMG]

I've been watching this thread for ideas on which parts to use. :evil
  14. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    I see you have it safely inside now. You could prolly put it back together with parts from the stuff this thread took off and replaced.
  15. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    I am very interested in seeing the link, but could not register on the site. Any way to see more pictures? The gas tank and subframe modifications.
  16. Medicine Creek

Medicine Creek 127.0.0.1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    no linky work for me either. would love to see the pics, man
  17. Denisesewa

Denisesewa wounded adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep. I'd donate some take-offs , had my R6 stolen and know what it feels like.
    Denise
  18. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Split Sole

Oddometer:
    So did you get the stalling problem sorted out? :ear
  19. Denisesewa

Denisesewa wounded adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not yet, leaned it out as far as I can and its better, waiting on some smaller jets ( and a bunch of other stuff) ;)
  20. mattmbishop

mattmbishop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bugger. I obviously can't link from that website, photos uploaded to a different site and should now display inline:

Rear rack showing back mount (kinda). I welded a tab onto the bottom of the sub-frame and bolted thru it. The rear of the rack bolts onto the existing mud-guard frame.

[​IMG]

Subframe reinforcement. I used flat to triangulate the subframe.

[​IMG]

Now, my rack was reasonably rural in comparison to Doug's, one of the guys coming with me to Aussie. He spent days bending up his frame, and it looks more like a bloody work of art than a rack ...

[​IMG]

Finished product:

[​IMG]

Hope that was worth waiting for.