XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. JustinT

JustinT I will ride my whole life

Oddometer:
    Index post!
    Comparing Mikuni TM40, Edelbrock QS and some of the FCR carbs

Some useful XR650R specific Links (MatadorMkV's post)

XR400 CDI Denso Model #

Cheap Stock Headlight Upgrade (only the cost of the bulb)

XR650R Recommended Maintanance Schedule

XR650R electricity (Great Running post on Dualsport kit tweaks, fixes, and using the stator output)

Better Electrical Connections (Hondakaguy's use of RC connectors to replace the electrical connectors)

Custom XR650R seat upgrade by Bitchin' Stitchin' in Lakewood Colorado

Hondakaguy's Custom Acerbis Tank support and Rad Guards
    Seen in this thread and at XR650Rforum.com

Bolt Combo For Rt Foot Peg Fix! You MUST do something about the Rt Foot peg before you are seriously injured. (Usually happens when you need the foot peg for control the most.) $15 and a Great fix! Check it out!

Sargent Seat
    (Link to pic in thread) Check out the link to the post in this thread for a pic!
    Linguinator, husky390 and DJspeed128 like this.
  2. bongodave

bongodave Fixing Stupid

Oddometer:
    The DS conversions thread is kinda the default, but an XR650R- exclusive thread would be good. It's a very loved bike, and there are lots of nice ones shown off here.

Tech questions and mods? They're all over the place. I like a centralized thread. C'mon! Who's with us?:wink:
    Linguinator likes this.
  3. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Rumble, rumble

Oddometer:
  4. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Graet Idea. :thumb

Inmate Focker also started a XR650R forum in hopes of sharing the same info. Here's a link to the Xr forum: http://hondaxr650r.forummotion.com/

Not a substitute for ADVrider but still a great place to share info.

Hodakaguy
  5. bongodave

bongodave Fixing Stupid

Oddometer:
    In.

Time to go up to the top of the thumper thread and make it an official bike-specific thread.

I'd volunteer, but lack the skills to maintain.
  6. alexh2k

alexh2k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been using my XR as a commuter for the past 6 or so months. I love this bike. There are so many mods I want to do, but so little time and money.

Attached Files:

Linguinator likes this.
  7. seriousracer

seriousracer be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer:
    i am not f***ng stupid,but i used too. niles mi.
    use mine for just about everything.

but i do love it in the tight woods.... yah you can say what ever you want but the things are badasss when you learn how to ride them in the tight.

just suspension and carb work with a dual sport kit.or whats left of it from the trees and fluidyne radiators.
  8. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    You know what would be very useful, especialy when describing a mod to your BRP, is to include your altitude and jetting specs with every post. A record of all the different mods and a jetting data base would be a first as far as I know.

Also, let's hear from anyone who was able to shave any significant weight off the 300lb beast.

Uncorked, aftermarket exhaust.
    400ft ASL
    Stock Carb:
    175 Main
    68 Pilot
    5th Clip possition
    2 1/4 Fuel screw
    Edelbrock Carb: (I hate this f@#%ing carb)
    19E Needle
    17 Clicks
    1 1/8 Pump By-Pass
  9. JustinT

JustinT I will ride my whole life

Oddometer:
    I have changed seals and fluid in my forks but they are finally leaking again (after 5 years) and I want to revalve them by using http://borynack.com/XR650R/xr650r_forks.htm and http://borynack.com/XR650R/xr650r_shock.htm to make them perform better. The method looks easy enough and I have been toying with the idea for a couple of years now but I guess I haven't had the excuse (Everyone says its an amazing difference over stock) but I don't jump to these things as well as I do when motor performance is involved. As well This will be the first bike I will try to customize the suspension off of stock other than fluid change!

My issue is what sort of riding to set up to? it sounds like alot of trouble if it sucks to change it? But I will do it over my Christmas break to let everyone know how it went! (I hope)

Anyone else done their own fork/shock revalve? I'd be intersted in knowing what they thougth of their results?
  10. DOSCERVASAS

DOSCERVASAS neck

Oddometer:
    I just got my plated BRP in Feb 08. I have already got some great info from you guys, and Thunderchild, thunderchildes son (sorry can not remember his name I think it was Charlie) 00SS, and my self have already road up in Muenster. Any way here the start of something BEAUTIFUL, BRP's rock.

Here is the start of mine, I don't ride as well as I used to, but I am still trying:

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/k/kkippper_PB180015.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Keith

Keith Slabbing it

Oddometer:
    I dig it.

I'm in the process of redoing my BRP.

I've got a 7" Kragen HID going on as well as a DRC products Edge2 taillight. My stock exhaust is out getting ceramic coated too. I have a FMF Q4 on order to replace the White Bros. E series that is currently on it. I'll get some pics up soon. There is also an Acewell 3700 that should find it's way on soon.

Right now I have it setup as a Supermotard commuter. It has a 4.x gallon tank and a set of 17's with pilot powers. The gearing is 16/43 and second gear power wheelies are cake with it being uncorked per honda. 75mph fastlane work is right around 5000rpm, with plenty of power to pull an indicated 100mph.
    TroopThrowback likes this.
  12. seantx

seantx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How hard was it to get it plated in TX?
  13. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    easy
    1. hi low beam headlight with a hi beam indicator light
    2. mirror
    3. horn
    4. brake light
    5. dot tires
    6. insurance

take to bike shop to have inspected.. ask for them to fill out a "green" sheet to take to dmv.

take insurance card, inspection papers and title and take to dmv

tell the lady/man that you have a motorcycle that you would like to title for street use.. show them insurance , green sheet and title.

note: some don't know the process... so you might have to walk them through or have them get a supervisor to do the work.

you should be able to walk out with plate and go riding :clap
  14. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    If only it were that easy here in California! Last time I re-registered mine they wanted to take the plate back. Only some quick thinking and fast talking on my part saved it. BTW Anyone registering a DS is CA, never tell the DMV you don't have an odometer, it makes them freak out and try to take your plate away.:huh
  15. DOSCERVASAS

DOSCERVASAS neck

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to ordered a magnetic oil drain plug?

I tried to order one from Baja design's, and the O.D. of the threads are to BIG. Part XRDP-2500-R
  16. heetseeker

heetseeker Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a DS kit from these guys today: http://www.dirt2street.com/

BRP is already plated, but need the blinkers and wiring set up...great people to work with...and they take paypal.
  17. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    I got a set of mag drain plugs from XRs Only. I don't like doing business with them but they do have the plugs and it would be hard even for them to screw that order up.
    T-rot 120 likes this.
  18. DOSCERVASAS

DOSCERVASAS neck

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, ya'll have a good turkey day, and best of luck telling every one that you planed this trip to the trails, before you knew every one was coming over for the holiday.

I say this, because I tried it already.
  19. DOSCERVASAS

DOSCERVASAS neck

Oddometer:
    Hey Ya'll we can not let this thread die a quick death.:kboom

All I did is ask a couple of questions. Spread the word, we can not let the KLR thread beat THE BIG RED PIG.
  20. davevh

davevh Bought into the orange kool aide ...

Oddometer:
    I agree, bow down to the immortal XR650R (NOT the company that conceived and abandoned it ...)
    Lets see some news on Kenaroo's fairing dammit, I am curious to see how that project (and shipments) are panning out.

Don't worry, I will keep a subscription to this thread and report on my brothers XR which is in the process of lots of cool farkles ....
    jsleigh77 likes this.