The "LONG TERM" WaspWorks Super Tenere, in detail and the evolution - Part 2

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Wasp, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Yo Folks.....
    After 21 months, 142 pages, 615,805 hits, and 2119 posts (and having been relegated to the "Vendors forum") I thought it was about time I started a fresh log of where I am at now, and of future changes and rides/reports I plan on doing with my much loved and well personalized Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere.

I will keep checking the old thread in the Vendors section for you guys that have questions (easier just to send me a p.m), but my intention is (hopefully) to keep this new informative thread here in "Beasts" where it belongs and where I can have my say and brag about MY bike and MY adventure rides just like everyone else.

If I design new stuff "FOR ME" it's obviously best I put that in the old thread in vendors as, inevitably, someone will ask about it and if it can be bought and then the merry-go-round will start again.

Anyway - As always, I will keep posting up heaps of photo's and video's of where I am at and we will see if this one grows as big as the last.

Greg.
  2. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I actually did this a few days ago but didn't want to put it in the old thread as it obviously is a general interest do-it-yourself type deal. So, here we go.

The current WASPmobile (2010 XT1200Z Super Tenere) is about 21mths old, and I decided it was about time the original headers had a spruce up.
    Actually, the whole bike desperately needs a clean as it hasn't had one for a few rides now.. Very unlike me but i've been short on time.:cry

I posted this pic in another thread (about the 21" front wheel install) and was totally disgusted by the condition of the pipes.
    [​IMG]

I got a quarter of the way into the job and reminded myself why I dont do this more often... What a frig'n pain. I like looking at shiney shit, but I am no longer fond of shining shit...

[​IMG]

Anyway, the headers came up well and I even did the stainless port nuts and the cat converter.

[​IMG]

Now if I can only remember to give the pipes a wipe every now and then they might stay clean for a while.

Next job is to give the whole bike a wash and shine...... One day [​IMG]

Greg.
  3. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I ran the bike up on the stand tonight to get a bit of the gold tinge back...

Freshly polished as shown above:
    [​IMG]

After 10 minutes run up. Sporting its new gold tinge: (See the polished silver flange nut for comparison)
    [​IMG]

Very happy camper.

Greg.
  4. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Not a biggy to me.. They're not scratch's - That's "Adventure CRED"...
    I originally had SW-Motech crash bars but decided it was 5 or 6 kg hanging off the front that I could do without.

I elected to remove the bars and see just how good the plastic OEM side protectors work.
    Obviously they dont offer anywhere near the protection of tube steel crash bars, but you are also not encumbered with the extra girth and weight. That said, I think the plastic guards have done an admirable job as the bike has been down in the dirt and gravel quite a number of times on both sides.

My son took the bike for a quick ride during last week and bought it back with a broken right hand plastic protector.
    Ya think this will buff out?
    [​IMG]

This part is affordably replaceable at $US31 - The bastards over here (Yamaha Australia) charge $89 for the same part [​IMG]

As I said above, the bike is in dire need of a clean and polish, and to be honest, most of this will polish out.
    [​IMG]

The scars above were from a 30>40ft slide down a muddy gravel road where the bike ended up front wheel high on an embankment laying in 6" of water [​IMG]
    This is the only damage - Even the carbon muffler survived unscathed.

I'm actually waiting for someone to offer these up for sale:
    [​IMG]

As soon as they are available, i'm in there with bells on.. [​IMG] I will prolly end up getting the seat re-trimmed in alcantara as well.

Greg.
  5. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Ya....:clap

After about six months of riding around with the rear shock canister (mounted in the same position but) zip tied to the frame rail with a rubber sleeve, I finally go onto making a saddle to clamp it properly.

Zip ties removed and waiting for the saddle install.
    [​IMG]

The saddle.
    I quickly whipped this up a few days ago from some 40mm ply that I painted and cured in the oven.
    I just so happened to have the correct (exactly) holesaws for both the frame cross member tube and the canister diameter.
    [​IMG]

Easiest to get at (tighten the stainless clamp) from under the tank.
    The saddle shoulders onto the frame rail and the canister pulls up against it with a large hose clamp.
    [​IMG]

Quite a shade tree solution but it secures the canister very well in deed, and is up and out of site so no one would really know what it is made of.

[​IMG]

I think it turned out really tidy.
    Didn't cost a zack as I had the hose clamp laying in the junk box, and there is a shitload of 40mm ply that I salvaged from a casting mold manufacturer many years ago.

[​IMG]

Very happy with the outcome...
    Back to riding now.

Greg.
  6. Spencer54

Spencer54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorely tempted by the S10 - what kind of mileage do you have and has it been reliable?
    They look like they can take it!
  7. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Side panels off and ready to lift the tank again...

I recon I could do this blind folded now.
    I can confidently say that I must have had this bike pulled apart more than just about any Yamaha tech around the planet.:norton

[​IMG]

I do love working on it though.. Just love modifying and tinkering with shit.

Greg.
  8. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I dont think I have ever stopped to workout/worry about the mileage Spencer.
    On average I know that a 16lt top up (that's usually after the lights been on for a while) is about 300kms worth.
    I do a lot of dirt riding as well so that would impact on the mileage a lot.

There are heaps of threads about the mpg and range of these bikes amongst threads here and on www.yamahasupertenere.com

Oh, and reliability... It's a Yamaha. I dont think I have read a thread yet about one stopping or breaking down in the field.
    Some folks have crashed, bent rims, punctured sumps etc, but no breakdowns from my knowledge.

Greg.
  9. cpittmx

cpittmx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What did you use to clean up pipes? Came out really nice.
  10. Spencer54

Spencer54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No I meant how many miles has the bike done! :D
    I have to get the miles out of my bikes and currently the s10 is up there as a replacement if I can get a good deal.
  11. William42

William42 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. Buckeye56

Buckeye56 Batoutahelius

Oddometer:
    Greg,

Great idea! I have profited mightily from you knowledge and experience with the Super Tenere and am anxious to see what further developments you have in store for the "faithful"!
  13. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Greg.

I have my own zort polishing routine, but I am beginning to think that a polished zorst pipe sort of cancels out all the "adv cred" you get from the scratches.

Hard call that one.:hmmmmm
  14. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    :lurk

15. hayfarmer

hayfarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you back in Beasts Greg ( where you belong ). I look forward to the continuing adventure.
  16. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    good luck mate:1drink
    i feel your pain:wink:
    subscribed,,,,
    w
  17. omeoxlv

omeoxlv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  18. K0m4

K0m4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Wasp, thanks for these threads, been reading them with great interest (and in no small part they are guilty of my having more or less decided to get myself one of these bikes)!

A question: do you know what the trail is with the raising links? They're 25mm, right? Just saw in another thread that the trail stock is almost 13 cm, so I figured there would be no harm in shaving a bit of that off, and sitting a bit more magnanimously... plus gaining some ground clearance.
  19. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    A BIG THUMBS UP so far:thumbup

Still haven't done any serious dirt work to write about yet so I will save that for a review when I get a chance to go bush for the day.

I am actually really liking this bigger wheel on the road.
    I have the single disc on at the moment. I still have the double disc here and not quite sure which way I will go at the end of the day.

Single disc:
    [​IMG]

Double disc:
    [​IMG]

As you may have read in the vendor section in Woody's XT1200Z 21" wheel development thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759952
    I have been helping Woody with some measurements to incorporate the ABS/TCS feature into this wheel set.

Makes for some interesting reading so check it out. 5.5kg saving in unsprung weight with the single disc 21" (3kg with the dual disc) compared to the OEM 19" wheel set.:clap

Greg.
  20. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're back again Greg
    For some time we where without our ST bible!! :ear:clap