The monster Monster thread! (formerly Why not a Monster)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by JustKip, Nov 29, 2012.

1. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the Hyperstrada thread I mentioned that that new bike might sway me from my intended purchase of a new Monster, and I recieved this reply...
    and it got me wondering just WTF is wrong with a Monster?
    Is there anybody who's not a n00b with 8 posts saying "trust me" with any real reason not to get a Monster?

I loved the ride of the 900M I test rode years ago, and love the look of most naked roadsters.
    Why should I trust some annonymous poster with no reasons expressed? I understand that the seat on the new 796 and 1100 Evo are much more comfortable and don't crush you against the tank, and that was my only complaint, but I haven't ridden either of the new ones yet.
  2. single

single Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the original older monsters might be overall better bikes then modern ones. Modern ones seem to have a bunch of wonky programming in the fueling/ECU/emissions equipment designed to shoehorn the ancient air cooled motor designs to pass modern standards. After driving a modern 1100 Evo for a bit, there's no way I could live with that bike day to day, especially with it's below 4000 RPM behavior.
  3. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No reason not to, if it speaks to you, and fits you.
    Dollar for dollar, might not be the most rational choice, but that's not why we we choose motorcycles.
    Air cooled naked, sporty bike, what's not to love?
    A tad fiddley come valve adjustments time but nothing a dedicated noob couldn't handle.
  4. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine used to own an old 900 Monster and loved it. Seemed very reliable and great for city use. The sound fom the Termi pipes was great as well. Other than the crazy valve maintenance schedule I would go for one if I was looking for a gret bike at a great price. Furthermore, you can -assume- that most are well kept bc of the demographics that buy them new. Yes I know, there is always n exception. Come to think of it, I may want one myself.
    pennswoodsed likes this.
  5. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    had a 2002 M750 for 4 seasons, loved it. great handling, brakes and looks. simple 2v, no probs, tasteful and/or performance mods easy to come by. had BCM re-spring the front for me, heaven.

new ones look a little wonky to me, and pricey. have you looked at a pre-plastic tank model?

[​IMG]
    Scoozi, rixcafe and PDarnall like this.
  6. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is why it bugs me so much when some assbutt on the intertubes says "trust me." Sod off, dude. I don't know you. You're trying to convince me of something, so do it. Use your words like a big boy! :deal

Snatchy throttle, low rpm response, and the bargain bin suspension on SOME monsters make them a no-bueno deal for me. Though some monsters came with better parts than others.
    But if you want one you should go get one. I meter a bike by how well it does in 35mph traffic stopngo, tiight turns, and zipping down backroads. Il Monstro 900 was bellissimo on the backroads at 45mph + for me.

Screw it. You only live once. Buy it. :freaky
  7. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...and I love this machine. The new Monsters aren't as simple and easy to service as the old ones. If you want a Monster, go for it!

I'd buy the new 20th anniversary model.

If the stock fueling troubles you, invest in the DP ECU and Termi exhaust and you should be fine.

Let us know.
  8. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    :super

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  9. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the old steel tank models. I'll take a 750 in red, please. :thumb

The new ones leave me cold. Plastic panels covering the frame, silly green goblin eyeholes in the tank, more plumbing.... I dunno. The Aprilia Shiver seems a bit more coherent to me than the new monsters. Uglier, but at least they aren't pretending it is pretty. :lol3
  10. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I bought my '96 M-900 with 3000 miles on it. Now it shows an additional 25,000 . It always makes me smile and encourages me to wick it up.
    I've seen '96 models for sale around $3000 . If you can find a good one , that hasn't been abused , get it.
    DucaIan likes this.
  11. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I had a M695 monster that I sold for a F650GS-T. I didn't like the range of the monster, I didn't like that I couldn't put much baggage on it (I paid the Termi tax and had the hi-set pipes) and after riding in the city found I vastly preferred the riding position of the R1200/F800. As my only bike it just didn't do it. However, as a second bike Id love to have another monster.
    [​IMG]
  12. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Loved my S4R. My ace Ducati mechanic has owned it the last few years but it may be mine again soon. :wink:

I say if you want one then get it! Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

[​IMG]
  13. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hopelessly impractical, tiny fuel range, poor running stock below 3500rpm, shockingly expensive to run, old-fashioned steering, not very comfortable stock, bits fall off ... need I go on. :deal

Funny thing is, I can't get rid of it. Can't quite believe I'll get the same kick from anything else. :lol3

There are Monsters and Monsters tho. Which one attracted you? I'd imagine the new EVOs are superb solo all-rounders with question marks over only the stock suspension and the shortage of top-end zip (if that matters - I think they do about 90hp at the wheel). Steering updated, I believe (as in, quicker). Running costs too should be much more reasonable than on mine, with the 2V air-cooled motor and wet clutch.

One of the journos at Bike UK had an M1100s (the Ohlins version) for a year and raved about it. Even thought it was brilliant on long high-speed trips.

Funny thing is, that "traditional" naked riding stance, leaning a fair way forward onto low-ish 'bars, is a bit wearing around town but comes into its own on the highway. Cruising at 70-80mph you are beautifully balanced against the breeze. Can't see that from the new Hyper: you'd be relying on the 'screen.

Perhaps your dissuading poster thought the Monster would not answer your stated riding needs.
  14. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I understand the "Termi-tax" solution to low end snatchy throttle response, and am willing to pay it. I love low end power delivery of a twin, compared to multicylinder bikes. I've been thinking 1100 evo, but a 796 might be acceptable. I like big piston torque though, so that might not be enough. My local dealer has a nice used S4R, but I find the radiator hidious...like a marks-a-lot moustache on the Venus de Milo

My R12GS is my touring bike, so I don't need fuel range or luggage capacity. I want the bike entirely for "local" rides, as I'm surrounded by roads like this...

[​IMG]
  15. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my '02 S4:

[​IMG]
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    A buddy had an S4, and after his first major service, he was in shock! $1200 for a valve adjustment and belts! He sold it before the next major inspection. Factor in the cost of service and see if the fun factor is worth it to you.
  17. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    The Street Triple R would be the better handling naked for that map. Just saying.
  18. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Have had the 696 for over two seasons now 12 K miles and have no complaints, it is what it is! :deal
  19. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...the Monster is PERFECT.

[​IMG]
    MonsterTestRide by Shooter158, on Flickr

I have ridden this ole' girl from Lake Charles, Louisiana to Luckenbach, Texas in a day. Nine hours in the saddle. No problemo. I get 180 miles before the reserve light comes on. I can ride 200 miles until I'm pushing her.

Just buy one and start LIVING.

Don't worry, be HAPPY.

:deal
    Beeee and Oldebonz like this.
  20. mammal

mammal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No good reason not too, especially if you go with an older metal-tanked fuel injected model. I had a 620ie I put thousands of miles on, and loved it. Handled great on twisty roads and around town. Added a Sargeant seat and I could ride for hours, staying on the bike to get gas and just going! Maintenance is actually pretty simple on these, and if you find a good non-dealer mechanic isn't actually that expensive if you don't want to do it yourself. Versatile bikes with an undeserved reputation for unreliability, IMO. I've always thought if I were going to get another Monster I'd go with an M1000ie. A little harder to find than others, but you get the great DS1000 engine, a metal tank, decent suspension, and great looks!
    [​IMG]
    Oldebonz likes this.