external blue tooth gps and pda? iPhone out?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by spidennis, Jul 6, 2007.

1. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    so it appears the iPhone has no gps abilities for our uses on bikes ..... correct? so I'm now gonna look into another path and wondered if anyone has any pros or cons about this ...... I want to use an external bluetooth gps receiver such as the US Globalsat stuff and then use a seperate pda style device, maybe a pda phone. I could also use it with my Powerbook (not intel) when in my jeep for longer trips, and maybe even when the iPhone when it grows up. It might even connect to my next point and shoot camera to imbed gps location info for each pic? How cool would that be? Anyway, I don't presently have a "recent" gps unit, and my PDMA/analog phone is about to become extint very soon, so I have to make a move onto something. Presently I have ATT/cingular ...... how's that compared to verison for cross country rides? Anyway, that external gps/pda /phone idea looks pretty cool ..... (and maybe evento work with the iphone someday?)

http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=149

[​IMG]
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The problem with that route is you have no water proof setup. Another thing I would question is the ruggedness of a PDA, or that stupid iPhone. How well do you think they'll hold up? Why do you not want to go with dedicated GPS?
  3. spidennis

Oddometer:
    It would be nice to have only one gps device to send location data to the other devices. ...... and I'm on a older mac ....... and those screens on the gps units are little (just had to start using reading glasses, ug!)
  4. spidennis

Oddometer:
    ok, I just pulled the trigger on the 2610 via the post going just next to this one. ...... at $199, that's hard beat ...... and gonna get just a cheap phone to get me by, which I won't mind using while blastin'and crashing around offroad.