Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. rruugger

rruugger formally Sir Crashalot

Oddometer:
    Bad when you have plumbing coming out of the bottom of your cast. Was sorry
    to hear of this Tom. Here's to a speedy recovery,hot nurse's and sponge baths :slurp If you need anything don't hesitate.
  2. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    +10 on this one just had the knee thing done speedy recovery to you
  3. l18flyboy

l18flyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:

I had tried the repeater a couple of times and wondered if I had perhaps not properly programmed my handheld, so I'm glad to know it wasn't operator error on my part! :D

A couple of times out on the trail (Chloride Cliffs and Hunter) I tried the simplex frequency to see if I could raise anyone, but didn't have any luck there either. I don't believe anyone else on the rides I was doing had a radio, but from past experience it can be very helpful if leader and sweep are in communication. I'll bring mine again next year.
  4. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think next year I'll start rallying for radio comms earlier. I'd love to get at least one radio on each run, preferably two.

I need to wire my helmet for the radio, my plans never really had me in comms the whole time, just when stopped for food, fueling, and pissing.
  5. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tom
    Sorry about your mishaph :huh
    The picture look painful :cry
    I thought I was in pain until I saw your picture.....
    Speedy recovery to you.
  6. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    What he said...
  7. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    Breaking shit sucks. :yikes

Another random Picture:

[​IMG]

Can you see the guy (jandreno) who won the Klim gear? :evil
  8. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    We all made it up to Cerro Gordo for lunch around noon, except for Tom.
    (AZTom was having some bike trouble after the sand washes outside Darwin and headed back on the highway.)

We got a bit turned around after Darwin (where I had hoped we would meet up with you and John to discuss the route). I didn't have the GPS tracks, and no one else in our sub-group of 7 did either. Eggroll and I discussed route and we each had different tracks, so we headed out of Darwin on the sand washes to the west. The differing tracks led to some confusion as we headed northwest out of Centennial Flat. My route had us riding sand all the way to the junction of 190 and 136, but that would have taken a good part of the day. Ultimately, we decided to cut out to the highway and shoot up to Keeler and Cerro Gordo Road.

After a lunch stop in CG at noon (we didn't miss you guys by much apparently) we headed up toward the tram. At the steep downhill to uphill section about half of the group turned back (it was a tough hill climb toward the tram). Soupknotzee, Dirt Donkey, and I made it up the hill and on to the tram (we passed you as you headed out). Once we got back to CG, the rest of the folks had already headed back to PSR and the remaining group of 3 rode down the backside and came out Saline Valley Road. It was a great ride, sorry that we weren't able to meet up at CG or the tram. Everyone did fine, no breakdowns or major mishaps.
  9. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be me. Jonathan Stehn.

Big thanks to you Tom. I had a great ride home thanks to your loan of the shifter. Another 100 miles of dirt, a downpour to rinse off the dust, and a lively ride through the twists of Angeles Forest Highway.

Young, HA! I am 44.

Your shifter is on its way home along with an incentive for your next ride.

Thanks so much.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Hey Jonathon, above & beyond, thank you! Not only did I get back the shifter but a Shell gas gift card that I will put to more motorcycle miles this weekend. A stand up guy!!
  10. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you haven't posted your rr here.......http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875195

please do so. we decided to give the leftover raffle prizes to 6 lucky contributors. not necessarily for the best RR, just give it your best shot and you're IN.

prizes will be:
    5 wolfman enduro fender bag or tool roll @ $25 each
    1 dirt bagz set @ $250 of merchandise

giant loop fandango tank bag goes to FYYFF
    seat concept seat kit goes to lonestar
  11. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:

:clap :clap
  12. jarthur

jarthur Old Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who organized the rally, especially Joel.

Thanks to Pablo (espi) for hauling gas to Hot Springs for the Steel Pass group Friday. You da man!

I still owe Jim's (spafxer) daughters some wine for carrying gas for us to Scotty's. Have them send me a note so I can put some in the mail.

Met some great folks on the Steel Pass ride this year. Wish I could do it again this weekend with y'all.

Cheers,
  13. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could use one of those fender bag :evil
  14. nsfw

Oddometer:
    memorable moments

as many of you know, PSR is no longer providing a dumpster for trash. though we plan of doing a 100% pack it in - pack it out, we were doubtful if that will happen. so, i provided a contingency for a "special trash pickup" at a cost of $500 (ouch). it sounds a lot of money, but not really if we consider we were in the middle of the desert.

we made an effort to collect trash donation on thursday night and hoping we get enough $$$, but we didn't. i guess, there were not too many people around, except all 170 burger patties were gone...:rofl

to make the story short, we counted $150 and yeah, we're $350 short and i'm getting concerned where to get the rest, but i knew help will come sooner or later. i am relying on my banker (nowwhat) at the end..:D

soon enough,this GUY came to me, first time i've met him, and asked me how much are we short. gave him the number. he said he'll help and left. then, a few minutes later, he came back with a $350 check................:eek1.

wow...what a genuine guy!,,,,:clap

i guess he didn't want all our trash get blown as far as to his home in gig harbor, wa....:lol3

anyway, then on saturday, we passed around the collection jar again, thanks to jimmy and todd for giving it a some push. the final collection is $397 and will refund the gig harbor rider the difference.

yeah folks, this event attracted a lot of good people willing to help and share. furthermore, we are able to collect $ for 4 charitable organizations (sos, brc, corva and rdf).

let's all be thankful to all volunteers, donors and supporters.

lastly, for all you noobs out there, this event is dedicated to you..:bow it it wasn't for your participation, all we have is a riding event without a cause.
  15. jandreno

jandreno tigerTamer

Oddometer:
    This was the 1st time I ever won anything in my life esp as nice as this. I met a lot of great peeps there and had a wonderful time food was good so thanks to the cooks,and all involved with putting on the ride.I have to thank Mark for donating such a fine prize. I even managed to get out of there with my bike in unhurt well very little lol.
  16. mtbjeff

mtbjeff Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Thank You everyone for making this event happen! :D

I was on the Lost Rider Saturday ride around Panamint Valley and enjoyed every mile of it! Thank You Lost Rider for showing us the Valley!

Locals checking us out..

[​IMG]

My Burg looking over Panamint Valley

[​IMG]

Ballarat a few miles off

[​IMG]

The Lost crew

[​IMG]

Lost Rider schooling us on a tube install in 20 minutes.

[​IMG]

Happy Hour in Ballarat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. nsfw

Oddometer:
    jesse, you guys put a big effort to come down from oregon and you deserve something good. wish we could do the same for everyone.

you just broke the jinx. congrats and see you next year.

KLIM GLOVE FOUND! anyone lost it? still in great shape and lots of lots of miles left....send me a PM to claim it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. RED05

RED05 @motomedic_rob

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I wasnt able to get all the way up to the salt trams :huh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Alabama Hills were spectacular - Thanks Allan - we should add this as a ride next year.
  19. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    WOW!!!! Great Fuckin Pictures!!! :eek1:eek1:eek1
  20. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great Pics Rob! Lets ride next year. I think Ill bring two bikes and get there early this time.

PS. Already got my TT shifter but Tiger is STILL in the dam shop.