Why do they do that?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Homey, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Homey

Homey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was on my way home from work today on the hwy with two south bound lanes cruising in my spyder at about 75 (in a 70). I was on the car because the GSXR is in the hospital. Anyway I came upon about 15 guys on cruisers, they looked to be in a club because they were all hearing the same leather jacket with some patches on the back I didn't bother to read. Anyway they were almost all in the fast lane going about 70 and making everyone pass them on the right.

As I moved to the right to pass the group I notice one bike in the slow lane so they've effectively taken up the whole freeway. As I approached the lead rider motioned for that rider to move over and he did before I had to hit the brakes. That was nice so I waved thanks as I passed them on the right.

So, the question is: Why do they do that????? Isn't slower traffic supposed to be in the right lane? It's not a huge deal, just very slightly annoying. Maybe some of you guys who ride in huge packs might enlighten me.
  2. ThumperStorm

ThumperStorm Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I'm out riding I like the middle lanes because you can usually see better. Plus around here the roads in the middle are in way better condition than the lane by the curb, so smoother, safer ride. I don't hold up other traffic though. I think that is one of the worse sins a driver can make.
  3. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the traffic in the RH lane is NOT holding you up, I think keeping to the left is dangerous. I usually try to keep just a little faster than the traffic (feels safer to me) so I am usually in the left lane, but if traffic comes up behind I move over well before they have to hit the brakes or move over to the right.
    Maybe an Entitlement thing..U aint passing me!!!
  4. Robert_W

Robert_W Giant Douche / Turd Sammich - 'Murica F' Ya Baby!

Oddometer:
    Sheep have low IQ's.
  5. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    They may do that for comfort:evil....here in BC the right hand lane is often bumpier from normal wear and truck traffic. Left hand lane is always much smoother.

Less traffic here for sure but I drive/ride the left hand lane when I can. Sure did on I-5 a couple weeks back, long day before and was looking for comfort not bumps every few hundred feet.:eek1
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because they can.
  7. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Because they're douche bags.
  8. Homey

Homey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Comfort? Maybe if they didn't ride hardtails... Wouldn't the courteous thing to do is ride/drive in the slow lane if you are going slower than the slow of traffic.
  9. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    If you're not a douche bag , yes. They're as bad as bicycles and their entitlement bullshit.
  10. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Since they are incapable of keeping up with the flow of traffic, and feel that the space between the first and last bike in "formation" is "sovereign territory" (I shit you not; I've actually been told that!), they ride slow in the fast lane to avoid disruptions of their happy place.
  11. Isorg

Isorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depending on the group, it is perceived as some sign of disrespect if you pass these slow moving parades.

true story,

few years back while traveling from Houston to Colorado me and a friend ran up on a group of bandildos traveling in a small parade about 8 of them.

After gassing up in a small west Texan town, we ran into these guys again on the other side of town a little ways down the road. We were moving at a much faster speed than they were, and I caught up with them at the start of a passing zone (dashed yellow line) and a very LONG right hand sweeper.

I activated the warp drive and got past them, but right when i was starting the pass the guy in the rear he swung out crossed the dashed yellow and tried to block me. While i got past, my friend behind me didn't. my friend (who was talking on the scala) starts yelling, and had to shut things down really hard. The guy in the rear didn't pass, and was just blocking her from passing. she finally got around this blocking maneuver, he told her they were #1, I guess and we should have not passed them. :huh

so to answer your question on why? because they are douche bags.
  12. genespleen

genespleen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    This...

Basically, they can maintain group integrity in the left lane.

If they ride in the right lane, they'll have more trouble with people breaking up the group at entrance and exit ramps.

Gotta maintain that group integrity!

:lol3
  14. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love to watch bikers go by and try to figure them out. There is a lot of information to work with- bikers are by nature exhibitionists of one kind or another. Trying to classify them requires many classifications. The group dynamic can get really weird too. Get a lot of motorcyclists together and moving, and there can be some strange energy. Today I was getting new tires on my wife's car, and I just sat out on a concrete wall and watched the motorcycles passing by on Main Street. Mostly black Harley touring bikes, or lookalikes. Imitation leather side bags with silver spangles. Big bikes with big people on them.
  15. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    Hogs on hogs
  16. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Wow, sounds like as much fun as close order drill in the military...and I don't know many veterans who actually liked that BS! Interesting also that they actually documented something that runs contrary to what drivers are taught. I haven't seen mention of road captains or group integrity in any driver education program.
  17. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The inside lane is usually smoother, you have more time to see and react to deer. I ride in it when I can, but I move right for faster traffic.

I have had them block me by spreading out too. So I passed the group by slingshoting uphill so it happened too fast for them to react. A couple of them decided to gave chase. Must have been from the you are #1 sign I gave them. I slowed down a bit so they thought they had a chance. Nest set of curves marked 35, so I entered at about 70, sped up a bit from there and never saw them again.

I do not care where they ride, as long as they do not block. I have passed many many Harley groups since, no one has tried to block, some even wave me past. Must be my reputation:rofl

Well fog is lifting, time to get out and ride. May I only meet nice normal riders today, as usual. If not, well, sucks to be them. I feel sorry for them.

Rod
  18. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    In years of running vintage Suzuki rallies at theGSresources.com , we've found that the allure of groupthink is inexplicably powerful, no matter what sort of group it is or what they're riding.

Unless you set up and enforce some very different expectations, you inevitably end up with a tight conga line of 30 bikes playing a miserable game of follow-the-tail-light at 10mph below the speed limit (the average velocity of the slowest rider). What's really striking is that normally rational, safe riders will start to do the dumbest shit imaginable in order to "keep the group together" -- they block intersections (illegal), they retaliate against anyone they think threatens the group, they try to keep anyone from "disresepcting" the group, etc. It's absolutely amazing and horrifying to see.

More on Groupthink. Basically, people start to place the "integrity" of the group above their own enjoyment and safety. It happens with surprising speed and frequency, and has caused all sorts of disasters.

Here's a sample of my usual rant on the subject -- it helps explain "the GSR way" if there are any n00bs. Sometimes people get upset that we don't have a "road captain" (whatever the hell that is), but after a little while, they start to realize they're having more fun and feeling more relaxed and free...

Now, let's discuss "The GSR Way" to ride safely in a group:

- Every ride is "choose your own adventure". You'll get maps, but what you see and where you go are completely up to you. YOU are in charge of piloting your motorcycle and no one else.

- Ride like no one is around. If you find yourself feeling anxious, tense, or angry, if your hands, shoulders, or back hurts, or if you're going slower or faster or changing position or doing ANYTHING differently just because there are other bikes around, you are unsafe. SLOW DOWN or STOP and THINK and CHANGE SOMETHING to get your head back into your own ride, not the group's ride. In other words, CHECK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU WRECK YOURSELF.

- Faster riders first -- this way the group stretches out. Space is safety. Space equals more fun and scenery. Make sure you understand this -- this is very different than other types of group rides where they focus on putting on an orderly, slow-paced parade at the expense of safety and enjoyment.

- Pass and be passed. If a rider is in view behind you and is getting closer, move over and wave them around when it's safe. This way, the group soon sorts itself out and starts to stretch out. If you are the rider behind, pass when it's safe. EVERYONE gets to ride the pace they're comfortable with at that moment. There are no "fast" or "slow" groups -- just people who feel like seeing similar scenery and roads.

- WAIT for the riders behind you at turns and stops so no one is confused. (The corollary is that the faster/fastest riders must also know where they're going...)

- Make sure you can see and identify the rider ahead of you and the rider behind you occasionally -- once every mile or so. If you get waaaay ahead of your following rider, slow down or stop for a bit until you can see them again. If the rider following disappears, stop and wait a bit, then u-turn safely and see what's up. (This will cascade up the group -- the rider ahead of you will notice you've disappeared and turn around, etc.). This way, we can take advantage of the benefits of a group without falling victim to the potential dangers of groupthink.

The corollary is that if you're with a group, make sure you tell them when you're thinking about going off on your own, heading back to the barn, or jumping to another group so they don't worry needlessly.

- Ride like the group does not exist. What I mean is that anything you do to "keep the group together" or "preserve the integrity of the group" is UNSAFE and WRONG. No hand signals, road captains, sweepers, or blockers, no blocking traffic, no rolling stop signs, absolutely NO riding in formation, or any of that Harley bro parade crap. Each bike is an island. Ride like no one's watching. Groups have no legal existence or meaning. REMEMBER THIS. GROUPTHINK IS POWERFUL AND DEADLY.

- Every rider MUST carry a map and have some idea of where they are. Again, ride like you're by yourself. Be prepared to navigate, even if you're just following someone else at the moment.

- Riding by yourself and changing, splitting, and forming new groups are perfectly fine and encouraged. There is no group, organization or herd -- we're just a bunch of people who like to ride and just happen to be visiting the same general area.
  19. grelcar

grelcar Not lost, just confused

Oddometer:
    I came up upon a group of about 15 bikes on a four lane road that was in the left lane passing a slow car in the right lane. This was in a 55 mph zone, the group of bikes were traveling about 50 mph. There were a few cars behind the group of bikes. As soon as the bikes got past the slow car the last bike moved over into the right lane and stayed there. The other bikes remained in the left lane. They stayed this way traveling about 50 in a 55 for the 5 miles or so where I turned off. Traffic was stacked up behind them.

Made no sense to me at all.
  20. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes all kinds of sense. Look at me! Like the powering of numbers, this is the powering of egos.:lol3 (at the motorcycle shop) "Honey, does it make my as* look big?